Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What have you learnt today?

Default Re: What have you learnt today?

(a-b)(a+b)/(a-b) = 0/(a-b)
    this should equal (a-b) = 0/(a-b)
    No, the (a-b) on the left numerator and the (a-b) on the left denominator cancel each other out.

Maybe you mixed up the operator signs?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    No, the (a-b) on the left numerator and the (a-b) on the left denominator cancel each other out.

Maybe you mixed up the operator signs?
    You still can't turn 0/(1-1) into just 0 because 0/0 is not defined.

I even have super serious scientific proof: https://www.mathsisfun.com/numbers/d...g-by-zero.html

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Gawd I hate math, it just doesn't make sense to me. My brother is really good at it, reading a formula is for him what's reading a sentence is for me, and he is better at that as well. I am much more handsome though.

really

Blog Entries

I have learnt today that people in general are not stuipd or smart, they are a mix that comes out average.

However, smart or stupid we all dislike being made to feel stupid and utterly hate having our feelings dismissed, to the point that we will walk into the arms of extremism for the simple reason that only the extremists will listen to us.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 05-02-2015 at 11:29.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Gawd I hate math, it just doesn't make sense to me. My brother is really good at it, reading a formula is for him what's reading a sentence is for me, and he is better at that as well. I am much more handsome though.
    I heard this story from an American student back in 1992.
    His brother was studying at some University (don't remember which) and since it had a good team in some sport (I think it was American football, but can't wager on that) it was always a problem to park the car on the University stadium parking lot on a game day. So this guy enlisted the help of a resourceful fraternity member. They drove to the entrance and the fraternity brother produced an official-looking invoice and said: "I've got a trunkload of logarithms for the Forestry college". The guard waved them in.
    Math CAN be useful, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mezcal is the fuel for the fires of hell.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Microsoft Excel is probably the best product they have ever put out. Truly does some great things.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    I heard this story from an American student back in 1992.
    His brother was studying at some University (don't remember which) and since it had a good team in some sport (I think it was American football, but can't wager on that) it was always a problem to park the car on the University stadium parking lot on a game day. So this guy enlisted the help of a resourceful fraternity member. They drove to the entrance and the fraternity brother produced an official-looking invoice and said: "I've got a trunkload of logarithms for the Forestry college". The guard waved them in.
    Math CAN be useful, after all.
    I get the point. But there is such a thing that is having different realities. Mine could be entirely different than your's.

Blog Entries

Hah, yeah, nothing like an official pretext for not-too-engaged gatekeepers.

Discovered that a combination of poor hygiene and jalapeno peppers can make a man spend a number of days with a fever and fervently praying to the porcelain goddess.

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    I get the point. But there is such a thing that is having different realities. Mine could be entirely different than your's.
    Indeed, today I learned that in my reality, Obama isn't president, from 2008-2012 it was Hillary Clinton and since 2012 it's Glenn Beck. It certainly explains why I never understood the topics about US elections here.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Indeed, today I learned that in my reality, Obama isn't president, from 2008-2012 it was Hillary Clinton and since 2012 it's Glenn Beck. It certainly explains why I never understood the topics about US elections here.
    I could say something really smart about that but I won't.

ok I can't. But still

I just learnt that contemporary dance hurts if you're as untrained as I am.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

I learned today that the VP of my company is not an intimidating person.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    I learned today that the VP of my company is not an intimidating person.
    How will you use this knowledge?

Blog Entries

Have been monitoring my language and thought pattern for the last few weeks:

1st experiment:

Whenever I said something negative I tried to think of at least 2 positives. This works, for a while. You tend to realise that almost everything has a positive element. However it can get quite childish unless you are disciplined and express your positivity in as much detail as you express your cynicism.

2nd experiment:

This one is more work related: about a given course of action, even if my gut feeling was that something wasn't going to work i phrased the issue as 'if I was to do it anyway, how would I do it?' Or 'What would have to be true for this to work?' Sometimes even just asking these questions aloud can make a huge difference to the whole team's mindset.

Thoughts?

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster View Post
    How will you use this knowledge?
    No idea. Don't really care: I just find it funny. You'd expect him to be more intimidating.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Yet another cautionary tale in mathematics of false assumptions and equivocation leading to strong but ultimately erroneous results: the Monty Hall problem.

Turns out that the obvious solution is in fact the correct one...
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

With the passing of the Daily Show I'm going to miss moments like these:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...ly-show-video/

Science will march on, but won't anywhere near as entertaining
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123