Thread: Emulation

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Emulation

A quick question regarding MTW on new systems (Windows 7 / Windows 8) - are there any emulators around that properly emulate Windows 98, for example, good enough for us to play MTW without crashes?

I know they exist, but any recommendations?

Windows 7 64-bit and MTW don't go well together, even with fixes, so some help would be appreciated.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Emulation

I don't think anyone has gotten MTW running in DOSbox, but that is probably your best bet. I'm pretty sure they gave up on getting it to run in Wine.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

I keep hearing about Win7/64 being a problem but yet, that's what I have and it seems to work fine.

The problem with Win 7 is that eventually, at some point in the game, it will crash. Even with Compatibility mode enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I don't think anyone has gotten MTW running in DOSbox, but that is probably your best bet. I'm pretty sure they gave up on getting it to run in Wine.
    So those are the only alternatives available? There's no other emulating software for Win 98?

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    The problem with Win 7 is that eventually, at some point in the game, it will crash. Even with Compatibility mode enabled.
    Is the crash fatal to your campaign? I've had MTW CTD on me with XP and Vista, usually after battles, but I can continue from saved games.

So those are the only alternatives available? There's no other emulating software for Win 98?
    You can try running 98 in a VM. I haven't had any luck, but I haven't tried in a while.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...rtual-machines
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

So, in that case, I do have problems but I guess besides the initial irritation, because I save so often, it hasn't been a game killer. Come to think of it, other games do that too - probably a win/64 problem too since they are older.

I also noticed that it crashes when windows updates and asks if you want to postpone the update but that's another thread. :)

I've had both - crash that was fatal, as in the saved game would literally load then CTD, and occasional battle crash. But that was rather rare, the battle crash.

There's also the option of running Windows XP on a dual-boot, but that would take some time and consume resources from your rig.

Proud

Been to:

I have win7 64bit and zero problems running MTW. From my experience 90% of the crashes are hardware related, especially GPU. Win 8 is an exception cause it can't run MTW at all. I've had a lot of problems with MTW for some time when I've been using Nvidia card. Then I've bought used Radeon and all my problems were gone (without changing any other part of my pc). Now, I have another AMD card and still no problems with MTW despite a little weird config of my pc (Xeon processor, no swap file, etc.). So, do you still try to run MTW on that nVIDIA GeForce GT555M you mentioned last year?
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Indeed, the same spec as I've mentioned last year. Still crashes, and given that it's a laptop, no way of me changing to Radeon.

Tried again now, this time even worse - couldn't even start a campaign, as it crashed right at the end of the loading screen.

Proud

Been to:

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

My memory isn't what it used to be, unfortunately... But IIRC there used to be some sort of .dll that did the trick for me. Apparently that thread didn't get stickied. I'll look for the file at home over the weekend.

I'm running on W7 64bit AND a Nvidia card, and with that fix it works fine. Well, as fine as it can work. I still have the occasional post-battle or exit-to-menu CTDs but that's it.

OK, I just worked myself through pages of druzhina threads (thank god he has stopped...) to scan the forum for the thread I had in mind.

it's this one: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...on-problems-10

That solved all my problems. And I'm not the only one whose MTW was saved by this.

Ceterum censeo, one of the moderators should pin that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by I of the Storm View Post
    Ceterum censeo, one of the moderators should pin that thread.
    I have considered it, but there are too many threads with good tech solutions to pin them all. I do update the Technical FAQ in the wiki when new solutions appear (although wiki editing is disabled at the moment until the new software gets installed).

Understandable, but since all the pinned ones didn't help and that one did - how about adding the relevant post in one of the already pinned threads, like here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...uple-solutions ?

How good does this work with your resolution?

I run MTW stable at 1280x1024. Higher resolution tends to produce CTDs occasionally. But that one is fine for me.

I did a two-fix, meaning that I combined both the button fix and the resolution fix, and everything seems to be working very well so far.

No CTDs, no crashing, nothing, works quite well.

Proud

Been to: