Thread: Location of Tylis

Default Location of Tylis

So I've begon searching for some articles and papers online as preliminary research for my province descriptions of the Odrysae province (until the books I reserved arrive, on which I will focus once I can start reading them). As you all may or may not be aware, the capital settlement of the region EB II is Tylis. From what I have seen so far, it seems to be generally agreed upon that Tylis was established as a royal residence by migrating / invading (one of the things I hope to find out in days to come) Celts. So far so good, except that nobody seems to be able to locate the damn place. I've seen some papers defending why a certain location must be recognized as Tylis (usually not in agreement) and other simply stating the location can not be / has not been identified as of yet. Yet in EB II Tylis has been given a place in IIRC the western half of the province and I'm curious about what evidence there is for the location given in EB II. Perhaps I simply haven't searched and read enough about the matter and perhaps the site I use for information is unreliable (again academia.edu, the reliability of which I am not sure due to lack of experience with), but in the meantime I'd be interested to know the motivations of the team in this matter.

Please do not take this as criticism of your work. Again, I'm just curious about this now that I've started somewhat reading into it (although I will not deny it may be helpful to my efforts if I were able to mention the location of Tylis in the geography section of my upcoming description).

EDIT: On a side note, I created a new thread for this, since I'd rather keep the province description thread on-topic. Also, apperantly what I said about migrating Celts seems to be debated in the papers as well. :p
    Last edited by Adalingum; 04-18-2015 at 23:39.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Default Re: Location of Tylis

Was not around back then I wouldn't know, however this page in balkancelts analyses the distribution of coins and goods, could be useful and it has a decent bibliography, also with academia articles (which as far as I'm concerned, always found interesting, it is generally professors that post them, of course there could be differing hypothesis and points of view, but at least they are argumented hopefully)...

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: Location of Tylis

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    Was not around back then I wouldn't know, however this page in balkancelts analyses the distribution of coins and goods, could be useful and it has a decent bibliography, also with academia articles (which as far as I'm concerned, always found interesting, it is generally professors that post them, of course there could be differing hypothesis and points of view, but at least they are argumented hopefully)...
    Yeah, that is one of the articles I'd come across before as well. For now, I will refrain from drawing any conclusions on the matter, although I noticed that the preview map which can be found in the first post of the province description thread interestingly depicts Tylis further to the east than it currently is in-game (at least I interpret it as depicted east of the river Maritsa there).

Anyway, thanks for the confirmation on academia.edu. I'll continue using the site with the usual reservations (bibliography etc).
    Last edited by Adalingum; 04-19-2015 at 23:07.