View Poll Results: Who are you holding your nose and voting for?

Voters
24. This poll is closed
  • Trump

4 16.67%
  • Hillary

10 41.67%
  • Johnson

8 33.33%
  • Stein

2 8.33%
Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 1569

Thread: POTUS Election thread

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Re: POTUS thread

Were going to have a nuclear winter before I have sex on airplane. The world is fundamentally unfair.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Were going to have a nuclear winter before I have sex on airplane. The world is fundamentally unfair.
    9999! You should have saved THIS for your 10k....
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    They really have a gap in leadership with something resembling national stature and of the prime age. Corey Booker in a few years perhaps. Or maybe the other half of the Obamas -- she certainly could hold even with Hillary's performance for sure. So, YES, ACIN, you do have a shot.
    I would hope thats an understatment. The dems are screwed if the best shot is someone who can only hold even with hillary.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Dems still have:

Bernie Sanders
    Elizabeth Warren
    Tammy Duckworth
    Tulsi Gabbard

And the aforementioned Cory Booker.
    For Sanders and Warren I can say they have the heart in the right place, about the others I have no idea.

Going by optical value, Kamala Harris could be thrown into the ring.

Either way the Democrats have four years while Trump does his thing and who knows whether they will need a star at the end, maybe anyone will do.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Tulsi Gabbard
    Ehhh, if the rumors of her cozying up to Trump are true, this is doubtful. I cant see her reaching the stardom of Sanders, Warren, or even Duckworth, who I think is a fast rising star.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    The Dems still have:

Bernie Sanders
    Elizabeth Warren
    Tammy Duckworth
    Tulsi Gabbard

And the aforementioned Cory Booker.
    For Sanders and Warren I can say they have the heart in the right place, about the others I have no idea.

Going by optical value, Kamala Harris could be thrown into the ring.

Either way the Democrats have four years while Trump does his thing and who knows whether they will need a star at the end, maybe anyone will do.
    Sanders is aging, and may or may not be physically up to the challenge in 4 years. He and Warren are classic big govt entitlement pols -- they truly do represent the desires/goals of most the DEM rank and file, but would have real problems appealing to middle America. Though I acknowledge that Sanders might have done enough better to edge out Trump had he been the one with the nomination. But he won't edge out an incumbent Trump unless Trump has self destructed (which cannot, of course, be completely discounted despite the best efforts of Spicer and Conway).

Duckworth may or may not be eligible as a derived citizen ( I am not sure if Dad's UN work meets the criteria). She is of the right age and has a solid pedigree though. You may have identified a good Dem choice. Gabbard may end up being a strong choice for the Dems, but that would have to be at least 4 and more likely 8 years down the road. Not enough gravitas at present -- especially since she comes from a "sure thing" Dem state already that does NOT have a lot of electoral college clout.

As to Harris, she is the right age, look, and comes from a sure thing Dem state with a LOT of electoral college clout. Only thing against her is limited executive track record. Of course, I said that of Obama as well....
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Blog Entries

Which might be a point against her.

The dem base may have fond memories of obama in 4 years, middle america is somewhat less enamored with the 8 years of can-kicking. Another "old hopey-changey" (I miss the Colbert character) could backfire nearly as badly as clinton.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

I don't think Middle Americans are allowed to vote in the US...

We shall first have to see whether the middle US candidate can actually deliver on his promises or whether he is just "ye olde hopey-changey, GOP edition".
    IMO both parties are mostly trying to ignore reality/progress, including Sanders and Warren if they care mostly about saving jobs. I'd rather see us distribute the fruits of robot labor given that I always thought work was a necessity of life every human would rather do without. People who like certain work can do it as a hobby either way. I'm not entirely sure why people would crave getting repetitive and potentially dangerous jobs at a conveyor belt back if there were a viable alternative of not needing a job at all. It's actually not much better/healthier to sit and stare at a screen all day either... The only things that come to mind are strange cultural developments and pure ideology.

All the actually modern ideas in this regard seem to come from Central Europe as far as I'm aware. Although they have not entirely reached mainstream politics here either, we're also under heavy influence of calvinist-capitalist praise of hard work (and yet look forward to retirement all the time...).

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

This latest story is surely taking the piss? Who leaked this?
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Blog Entries

Buzzfeed is looking to follow gawker to its sticky end in the u turn of american legal plumbing.

Im crap at toilet puns,

There seems to be a stream of these stories.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Gets clicks

POTUS, reality TV star and sex scandal. Goes together like movies and snacks.
    Last edited by Sarmatian; 01-11-2017 at 21:13.

Not sure what exactly you're talking about, but I did have an observation that seems to have gone somewhat unnoticed:

Trump and his supporters keep talking about "bringing back the jobs" as though Mexicans somehow stole them, but the entire underlying tone implies that people in Mexico and the US cannot both have jobs. So what happened to the old trope of Capitalism that everyone can be better off under it? Why can't Capitalism just create new jobs in the US without "taking them away" from the Mexicans? Or is it that the wealth of the USA depends on the poverty of Mexico after all?

Divide and rule. Blaming the poor for their poverty. Blaming crime on black people. Blaming terrorism on Muslims. This is what we will get for 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    Divide and rule. Blaming the poor for their poverty. Blaming crime on black people. Blaming terrorism on Muslims. This is what we will get for 4 years.
    He's blaming poverty on over-regulation and bad free trade deals; he's blaming crime on haphazard law enforcement and overly regulated policing; and terrorism on Muslim extremists. It remains to be seen how much of his rhetoric will translate into substantive policy. I am pretty sure that he is convinced that he is among the best "deal makers" on the planet...proving he has the ego for the job. Hope he can pull off a 10th of what his self-hypnotic hype claims. However, given my doubts, I didn't vote for him.

Liberal Democrats are not hawks, obsessed with military adventures in exotic lands and the global majesty of the United States of America. Nooo, they are affectionate people of peace and prosperity.
    Liberal Democrats do not care about christian ethics and sexual preferences. Nooo, they are tolerant people, uninterested in the bedroom affairs of their neighbor.

And yet, here we are... Crying about Manchurian candidates and Russian orgies.
    Yeah, that's right, what humiliated Hillary was Putler, who is still a fascist by the way, and lack of morals, definitely not the fact that we never really recovered from 2008, with the unemployment being reduced by half-paid temporary jobs.

I agree somewhat that the whole thing about Putin "hacking" the election and Trump's alleged sex practices seem way over the top.
    The whole hacking thing sounds a lot like manipulating the election in an evil way when it was more about revealing the truth. Of course it is very biased since nothing was revealed about Trump (e.g. tax returns), but the implication seems to imply something more sinister.
    And yes, for the faction that claims to be about sexual liberation etc., making fun of someone's sex preferences is quite hypocritical.

That still doesn't explain though why Mexicans have to lose jobs for Americans to gain them if Capitalism can supposedly provide wealth for everyone...

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I too agree that the whole "Putin hacked the election" and "Trump is a Russian puppet" is a tad overblown. That's not to say that Russian influence isn't a factor to his decision making. I think part of his unusual friendliness to Russia is mostly due to his business interests and holdings, not a sinister Kremlin pulling the strings. Also the way he views relationships between nations.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 01-13-2017 at 04:34.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    I too agree that the whole "Putin hacked the election" and "Trump is a Russian puppet" is a tad overblown. That's not to say that Russian influence isn't a factor to his decision making. I think part of his unusual friendliness to Russia is mostly due to his business interests and holdings, not a sinister Kremlin pulling the strings. Also the way he views relationships between nations.
    Notably, several of Trump's picks, including his proposed CIA chief, are being very Hawkish about Russia before the Senate. As Trump gets more and more information about what Russia did I imagine he'll turn cold to an extent. Aside from anything else I would imagine he will be insulted that Putin thought he needed help to win.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opi...151556455.html

The resemblance isn't merely stylistic. When Olbermann insists that a "bloodless coup" has taken place, with conspirators in the political elite jeopardising America's very existence, he’s arguing against Trump with rhetoric identical to that used by Infowars and Breitbart.com to make the case for Trump.

The response to the intelligence dossier released by Buzzfeed illustrates the same phenomenon. The claims by a former spy remain entirely unverified, in a document commissioned by political opponents and riddled with obvious errors. Editor Ben Smith himself acknowledges that "there is serious reason to doubt the allegations".

Nevertheless, Buzzfeed justifies publication by insisting that Americans should "make up their own minds" - which, for better or for worse, is precisely the rationale that Infowars gives when it covers FEMA camps and chemtrails.
    They should remember though, that InfoWars is just a Comedy Show people get their news from, like the Daily Show.

Haha, I'm reading on and it becomes increasingly obvious [warning: fake conclusion] that the article was inspired by my previous post:

In reality there's precisely zero evidence of Russian ballot tampering. Nevertheless, the truthy notion that Vladimir Putin "hacked the vote" continues to circulate throughout both mainstream and social media, in a curious liberal echo of the "fake news" widely blamed for Trump's victory.
    [...]
    More importantly, the Podesta files aren't fakes or forgeries. The argument that the publication of genuine emails cost the Democrats the White House thus amounts to an assertion that Clinton lost because the voters learned too much about her.

To put it another way, those claiming that Russia stole the election are arguing that the Democrats were robbed because they were prevented from concealing the difference between what their candidate said and what she truly believed.
    Trevor Noah said (paraphrasing here) on the Daily Show that this is just Trump getting a dose of his own medicine, the problem I have with this is that two wrongs don't make a right. There are plenty of valid concerns about Trump, the Democrats going into hyperventilation fake news mode doesn't solve any of them.
    Last edited by Husar; 01-13-2017 at 15:48.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He is going to do what he does best - spent 4 years on a state-sponsored ego trip where he celebrates small wins where he has wrestled with some company or country and dismisses everything else - including the vast amount of damage he does on to his minions.

He might get another term - George W did, after all. But already it appears everyone he's picked holds widely differing views to him, so he'll get quickly bored when he can't shout or demand they do things and concentrate on doing what he does best - acting like a used car salesman.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

A little problem with getting rid of NAFTA.
    It would cost the U.S. jobs, money and damage the auto industry:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/manu...xico-1.3932234

Gee, it seems Trump's campaign was not all that well thought out... maybe he should have hired Hillary to do the research...
    Last edited by HopAlongBunny; 01-13-2017 at 23:20.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Repealing the Affordable Care Act will cause some serious shockwaves throughout the United States. While the Republicans will enact a legislation package of their own to counter the ACA, the impact on millions of people who have signed up for the ACA will be huge.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Blog Entries

I wonder of the impact on those ACA forced to buy unwanted insurance on pain on fines will offset it.

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    Compelling U.S. automakers to shut down or at least stop expanding their Mexican plants won't create more auto-making jobs in the U.S., CAR concludes. A likelier outcome would be that Mexico produces just as many cars as it ever did — they just won't end up coming to the U.S.
    I dont get that article, it implies automakers dont care about losing a major market they are dependant on because there are other markets, but doesnt explain why the other markets would make up the slack in profits or demand. I mean it seems like they are implying that mexican car factories were only allowing the sale of thier cars in the US and that the south americans or european markets just need the chance to start buying mexican automobiles in quantities that will offset the american loss.

"Mexico has free trade agreements with 45 countries other than the United States," CAR said. "Mexico has plenty of choices for sources of its manufacturing inputs."
    What, are mexican car factories just run by tunnel visioned idiots that havent even considerd the potential profits of letting the rest of the world buy cars until trump threatened nafta?
    Last edited by Greyblades; 01-14-2017 at 02:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    What, are mexican car factories just run by tunnel visioned idiots that havent even considerd the potential profits of letting the rest of the world buy cars until trump threatened nafta?
    Probably :p
    Like the Canadian oil industry, as long as the U.S. market is taking all we can produce, finding other markets was just so much babble.
    Now that the U.S. can do just fine w/o our oil, gov't and industry are getting down to the hard work of finding ways to get to the world market.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

The best piece I've read on Trump:

Donald Trump is 'gaslighting' all of us

Is Donald Trump really a "big fan" of the intelligence community, as he claimed on Twitter, or did he disparage intelligence professionals when he repeatedly referred to them and their work in sneer quotes about "Intelligence" briefings and the "so-called 'Russian hacking'"?

Did Trump mock a disabled reporter, or did your eyes, and the Hollywood elite make you think he did?

Did he convince Ford not to move a car plant to Mexico, saving American jobs, or was it all a fabrication for publicity?
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.c...android-google
    Last edited by Idaho; 01-14-2017 at 10:42.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Blog Entries

Did Trump mock a disabled reporter, or did your eyes, and the Hollywood elite make you think he did?

Did he convince Ford not to move a car plant to Mexico, saving American jobs, or was it all a fabrication for publicity?

Did he win the election with a historically narrow victory, or did he score a "landslide"?
    "Thanks to us noone can say with certainty anymore." - CNN

Fox is having a field day.

Last edited by Greyblades; 01-14-2017 at 22:01.

Shameful display.

Blog Entries

Agreed, CNN has really soiled the bed with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Agreed, CNN has really soiled the bed with this one.
    What did they do other than get ignored and not give Cavuto a hug?

Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253 LastLast