Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: British Election: peaceful revolution

Blog Entries

Default Re: The peaceful revolution

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    I have a much better idea -

All men shall serve SPQR, we shall elect a new Augustus, we shall speak only Latin, we shall have a Pax Eterna and we shall all be free to trade, farm and make as much money as possible without having to worry about our political rights or having to make any political decisions.

I'm sold - who's with me?

All we have to do is conquer the entire world and force every government to submit.

Yeah, I realize I'm just spamming at this point.

You know, it's surprisingly hard to find a good roman empire meme.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 05-19-2015 at 03:06.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Members thankful for this post (2):

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    Proving that what you really want is a good war - and you claim we Brits are pining for the past.
    You think that war is "the past". nonsense.

I didn't necessarily mean "the fight" as war per se. That is a component of conflict, but not the only way to fight.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Reductio ad absurdum and/or completely missed the point?
    Funny you don't find your slave exmple reductio ad absurdum.

My argument was that not everyone profits just because a lot of people have work and you name the examples of people who may actually profit too much from it compared to a lot of others who you previously used to justify the high prices of sports merchandise. That Schweinsteiger makes too much money does not help any of the children who have to produce the tricots for 10 cents an hour in some asian village so that some corporation can sell them for 80 bucks or whatever inflated price they cost.
    My point is that any enterprise gives work to some people and at the same time inconveniences/disadvantages other people. While Beskar claimed that sports has no positive input whatever into the welfare of a country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Funny you don't find your slave exmple reductio ad absurdum.
    It was meant to showcase a much broader point that just having work does not necessarily mean you benefit from it.
    I wasn't even sure whether your point was one, that's why I said "and/or" and put a question mark behind the entire thing, but you are free to ignore that of course.

My point is that any enterprise gives work to some people and at the same time inconveniences/disadvantages other people. While Beskar claimed that sports has no positive input whatever into the welfare of a country.
    And my point was that sports is one of the prime examples of the rich exploiting everyone else. Even the players themselves are not good examples for rich people as many of them lack the education to hold on to their wealth for long after their retirement and get stripped of their wealth by hawkish people. So in the end they are often just exploited as well. Also consider that professional sportsmen often demand so much from their bodies that they get health problems in the medium or long term. The US NCAA does also not pay their players and pretends to pay them with education while it signs them up for fake classes where they hardly get educated.1 Meanwhile the league rakes in millions from advertising and merchandise etc. They get a few years of a good time and lots of promises and then often end up as poor as they began. Some also don't of course, but I'm also convinced that some of the money spent on all the sports stuff would advance our societies more if it were spent elsewhere. It's great that it makes people happy and it shouldn't be banned or abandoned, it's the way it is commercialized and the way people are exploited all around it that should be changed.
    Whether it has an effect on the welfare of the country is debatable. If most of the wealth created ends up with rich people who invest it to drain even more wealth from the middle class then it probably just advances our wealthy elites.

1:

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

It was meant to showcase a much broader point that just having work does not necessarily mean you benefit from it.
    Like I said: not neccessarily "you", but someone surely does. Sometimes the number of those "someone" is so great that whether "you" benefit doesn't matter (on the national scale).

And my point was that sports is one of the prime examples of the rich exploiting everyone else.
    Any business that attracts so many consumers does it by default. So we might as well be indignant at the rich exploiting others by means of arms production, modern gadgets manufacture, chocolates or movie making... The list is pretty long, so there is no need to be especially hard on sports. It is the way modern world works and I don't see any prospects that it might be otherwise.

I'm also convinced that some of the money spent on all the sports stuff would advance our societies more if it were spent elsewhere. It's great that it makes people happy and it shouldn't be banned or abandoned, it's the way it is commercialized and the way people are exploited all around it that should be changed.
    I'm sure if you do that to sports those who invested the money into it will find other ways of "exploiting the others". This money will not find its way into your or my pockets.

If most of the wealth created ends up with rich people who invest it to drain even more wealth from the middle class then it probably just advances our wealthy elites.
    This is the way business is run: one can never stop making money and say "nuff'z'nuff". Business thrives as long as it expands and takes what profit it can wherever it sees it. To change it one's gotta change the whole philosophy of the society of consumption, which is again what isn't gonna happen in the foreseeable future.

So how about we try to find a way to stop people from exploiting others and fix sports in the process?
    I didn't know that I was especially hard on sports, I said it's a good example, but that doesn't mean it is the only example.
    And the change isn't going to happen in the foreseeable future if everybody denies that it will happen and just gives up.
    As Americans will surely tell you as well, change is brought about by those brave enough to attempt it against all the odds, it's the American way.

So how about we try to find a way to stop people from exploiting others and fix sports in the process?
    And the change isn't going to happen in the foreseeable future if everybody denies that it will happen and just gives up.
    Starting exploiting others was starting the modern civilization as we know it today. To stop it one has to undo millenia of development. I don't think it is possible. And railing against it and demanding fair play is like crying foul that Norway doesn't get as much sunshine and warmth as California.

Starting exploiting others was starting the modern civilization as we know it today. To stop it one has to undo millenia of development. I don't think it is possible. And railing against it and demanding fair play is like crying foul that Norway doesn't get as much sunshine and warmth as California.
    100 years ago the idea Europe could peacefully coexist was considered impossible.
    200 years ago the idea Slaves would ever be treated equally in the US was unheard of.
    1000 years ago the idea the common man could pick their leader and not just except the noble who held his land was unthinkable.

Things change - they change by railing against them and demanding change.

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Moody View Post
    100 years ago the idea Europe could peacefully coexist was considered impossible.
    200 years ago the idea Slaves would ever be treated equally in the US was unheard of.
    1000 years ago the idea the common man could pick their leader and not just except the noble who held his land was unthinkable.

Exploitation exists much longer than the dates you mentioned. It is so deeply entrenched in minds, social instututions and business that if you start railing today the results will not be felt in the foreseeable future.
    And as for people picking up their leader - this forum is most pessimistic about the picking up pointing that in fact there is no choice and all of them are the exploitators (or nominated by the exploitators to protect their interests). Only now they get elected rather than seize the power by force.
    Anyway, the world without exploitation was attempted in Russia 100 years ago - the results were lamentable.

Or perhaps these changes are merely superficial...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir
    the world without exploitation was attempted in Russia 100 years ago
    On the other hand, that aspect of the attempt was superficial too.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Exploitation exists much longer than the dates you mentioned. It is so deeply entrenched in minds, social instututions and business that if you start railing today the results will not be felt in the foreseeable future.
    And if you start even later than today, the results may never be seen. Your excuse is invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Or perhaps these changes are merely superficial...
    That's why people are still railing for change, the difference is that without the superficial changes we wouldn't have even tried. And a few of the changes did bring improvements, at least temporary ones or ones not related to the core issues.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Bitter? Perhaps.
    I don't hate him for his economics or really for his politics, I hate him for Iraq.
    I myself opposed labour based upon the trend of minority pandering censorship that ended with the Islamaphobia promise, seeing Blair come out and support miliband and not being shown the door did little to make me reconsider. I can imagine there were a lot of people who felt the same.
    agreed on the minority greievance culture.

but not bitter, no, quite elated in fact that we aren't headed in the direction of 40+ percent of GDp on spending.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

And if you start even later than today, the results may never be seen. Your excuse is invalid.
    As far as I understand, you have begun your struggle against exploitation for making the world just and fair. I'll watch your progress closely.

Default Re: British Election: peaceful revolution

Yes, please cast skepticism about western European attempts at democratization and meritocracy. Because as we all know, the eastern Europeans that are massively migrating away from their countries simply want to enjoy some sunny weather in Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Because as we all know, the eastern Europeans that are massively migrating away from their countries simply want to enjoy some sunny weather in Britain.
    So, you want to change climate as well? Good luck.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Whilst Rhy attacked Mhairi Black harshly, calling her a clown, she has just made her maiden speech in Parliament.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-33585087

I don't think it was bad at all.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Husar 

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

The Sottish accent is horrendous and they should be exterminated.

She needs to slow down when she talks.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

"Anyway, the world without exploitation was attempted in Russia 100 years ago - the results were lamentable." When?
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    While I don't disagree with any of the points made. I do feel they're missing one important nuance about the US Presidential system. From the perspective of the patriots they were just democratizing the system they already lived under in the Colonial governments. Colonial provincial governments until the late 1840's operated much more like Tudor era English/British governments. That is the sovereign (or rather their deputy, the Governor) was supreme and only partially accountable to the local legislature. And the legislature was more of a consultative body. Denizens of the mother islands have little concept of Responsible Government something we dominion residents learn a lot about. If you're not interested in the link it's a top down imposition of the glorious revolution on colonial government. Starting in 1849 in the colonies that formed the nucleus of Canada.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

The Sottish accent is horrendous and they should be exterminated.

She needs to slow down when she talks.
    Don't judge us by Mhairi Black's fake put-on ned accent - she's from a middle-class family, her dad's an academic and she went to Glasgow University.

Anyway, I finally made my TV debut:

Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 07-22-2015 at 20:56.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

I wanna adopt that guy.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Having been defeated in the last referendum the SNP are considering holding another one, how European of them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-33668976

This bollocks is going to make Scotland a toxic country for investment, to say nothing of the repeated battering Scottish and British national identity is getting.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Would James Bond vote Tory or Labour?

Which James Bond?

If we're talking about James Bond as a character, then he almost-certainly wouldn't be voting at all. Though he serves his country to the utmost, he does not do so in the usual civilian capacities.
    Vitiate Man.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Which James Bond?

If we're talking about James Bond as a character, then he almost-certainly wouldn't be voting at all. Though he serves his country to the utmost, he does not do so in the usual civilian capacities.
    He could send in a postal vote. All he needs is a UK address and someone to forward the letters to him, and once he's filled in his details and sent them back, he can vote in all his local elections.

Which James Bond?

Well let's break it down I guess:

Ian Flaming's Novelization version: Tory or Labour?
    Sean Connery's version: ? (lol jk, we know it would be SNP)
    Roger Moore's version: ?
    Pierce Brosnan's version: ?
    Daniel Craig's version: ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    He could send in a postal vote. All he needs is a UK address and someone to forward the letters to him, and once he's filled in his details and sent them back, he can vote in all his local elections.
    That's beside the point, which is that he specifically functions as a non-existent citizen. That's his life, his sacrifice.
    Vitiate Man.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

That's beside the point, which is that he specifically functions as a non-existent citizen. That's his life, his sacrifice.
    To vote in a UK general election a person must be registered to vote and also:
    . be 18 years of age or over on polling day
    . be a British citizen, a qualifying Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of the Republic of Ireland
    . not be subject to any legal incapacity to vote

Additionally, the following cannot vote in a UK general election:
    . members of the House of Lords (although they can vote at elections to local authorities, devolved legislatures and the European Parliament)
    . EU citizens resident in the UK (although they can vote at elections to local authorities, devolved legislatures and the European Parliament)
    . anyone other than British, Irish and qualifying Commonwealth citizens
    . convicted persons detained in pursuance of their sentences (though remand prisoners, unconvicted prisoners and civil prisoners can vote if they are on the electoral register)
    . anyone found guilty within the previous five years of corrupt or illegal practices in connection with an election

http://www.electoralcommission.org.u...neral-election

Nothing there to disqualify Mr. Bond from voting in an election.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Nothing there to disqualify Mr. Bond from voting in an election.
    Apart from him being fictional, of course.

I want to know how would Robin Hood vote, though. And especially Disney's fox version.

Blog Entries

Pannonian I think he's referring to the idea that bond is a non-person, he's been wiped from every record by the Secret Service so legally he doesnt exist. So he wouldnt have citizenship.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 07-28-2015 at 22:03.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast