Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Europa Barbarorum 2.08e is released!

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum 2.04 is released!

CAI has been altered since 2.03h - z3n did a major overhaul. Not much we can do about the AI spending themselves into oblivion - that's the reason there's an economic assistance script that stops them ever going truly bankrupt for too long.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Thanks for quick answer.
    On another note not sure if it's a tiny oversight, the Esseda (pritanoi chariots) seem not to have the frighten infantry trait. Is this on purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Not_a_Strategist_yet View Post
    Thanks for quick answer.
    On another note not sure if it's a tiny oversight, the Esseda (pritanoi chariots) seem not to have the frighten infantry trait. Is this on purpose?
    It's on purpose. The frighten_foot trait was vastly over-used before, it's been scaled right back to elephants, Gaisatoi, Drapanai and heavy chariots.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

Changelist for 2.04a:
    • Adjustment to Saka Expulsion to prevent target armies running away. Mission scripts reviewed and amended.
    • Reworked Baktrian and Hayastan independence scripts to make them function properly.
    • recruit_offset_priority for navies adjusted to make factions recruit them. Pirate fleets made worse.
    • Altered Roman recruitment; less troops overall, more skirmishers in the mix, more variety.
    • Reduced defensive skill of Roman units to make them less overpowered.
    • Adjustment to succession script.
    • Reduced the size of the Egypt, Syria and Anatolia mercenary pools.
    • Corrected Nubian FM with no name.
    • Faction personality of Pontos changed to balanced smith - missed last time around. Upgraded Amaseia to eastcol_two.
    • Revision of Allied Government recruit_pools.
    • Update to money script and CAI.
    • Pritanoi starting position moved from Mercia to Wessex, more Rebel armies added to Kantion and Legambrion.
    • New faction banner for Arevaci - no longer using an upside-down Romani banner.
    • Antiocheia upgraded to polis_three so Seleukids can colonise.

Member thankful for this post:

Sylon 

By the way the game says its 2.03I still when I start new campaign plus what Saka Expulsion?

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardo View Post
    By the way the game says its 2.03I still when I start new campaign plus what Saka Expulsion?
    Then it hasn't installed correctly - are you a Steam user?

Yes I will need a clean install thats the problemo
    Last edited by Lizardo; 08-03-2015 at 16:41.

Yes I will need a clean install thats the problemo
    Is your game installed in Program Files? Do you have UAC active?

The combination of all three may mean UAC is blocking the installation of the files.

Clean install sorted it out, how comes no tarentine calvary for Epeiros just equites sabelli?

Clean install sorted it out, how comes no tarentine calvary for Epeiros just equites sabelli?
    Because there is no unit for the Tarentine Cavalry yet!

so how is the Europa barbarorum going? were are the posts about the continuacion of moding, were can i offer my help (i am stil a noob), were can i post new idias for europa barbarorum?

were are the posts about the continuacion of moding
    Here

were can i offer my help (i am stil a noob)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...uitment-thread

were can i post new idias for europa barbarorum
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...post2053646823

Members thankful for this post (2):

Hi again.
    At first I want to state that there seem to be much less CTDs compared to previous builds of the 2.03-series, which I appreciate very much.

Currently playing v2.04a, I recently started a campaign with Arche Seleukeia for the first time in EBII.
    I noticed some issues which I want to share:

1. Capturing Salamis (Cyprus), I was unable to build any further governmental structures than Military Conquest. As you know, Salamis was given a new lvl1 military colony, which renders it unable to build a Eleutheria-structure. On the other hand, there is no Satrapy/Hyparchy government for Cyprus, nor is an Epistateia. This means you either stick to Military Conquest for ever, or raze the military colony to the ground to build an Eleutheria, which I think is not only counter-intuitive but also a waste of colony points.

2. Pura (Gedrosia) issue: Don't know if it is on purpose, but it is impossible to convert Pura into a permanent settlement for both Pahlava and Arche. Basically, this is due to the lack of a lvl1 farming building. I understand that Gedrosia is not the agricultural hub of the Eastern world ( ), but it is somehow annoying.

3. The changes in cultural happiness seem to work quite well. I really like that taking over cities with a lack of own culture is now rather difficult. This helps leading the AI in the "right" direction also.

4. Royal court appointment works, but somehow overlays the "selection of a new heir"-mechanic, because both take place in the same turn. I was not able to properly use the latter playing the Arche.

5. Jewish garrison: I noticed that an establishment of this building in a new province almost always leads to the character trait "intolerance of other gods" for the governing family member over time. I don't know if some kind of anti-judaism was that common in ancient times, but maybe the chance to get this trait could be decreased a bit.

Thank you for all the great work so far.

Coronatus
    Last edited by Coronatus; 08-09-2015 at 12:06.

1. Hmmm, it should really have one or the other - I suspect hyparchia is the correct answer since it's not a major holding. Changed for 2.04b.
    2. Is it not possible to build a level 1 farm there with some form of government?
    3. Good to hear.
    4. That was working before the last rework of the heir mechanic, I wonder if we've inadvertently broken it.
    5. Sounds like a trigger issue.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    2. Is it not possible to build a level 1 farm there with some form of government?
    I think I desperately tried all of them for Parthians and Seleucids - none did work.

Edit:
    Btw, spotted some Nubian tombs in Histria (Mikra Skythia) in an older version (v2.03h?). Don't know if it's a placeholder for the Amber road, but seemed quite wrong there.
    Last edited by Coronatus; 08-13-2015 at 18:01.

I have to go into my financial report to see how much money I have because the indicator thingy will only display the last number, also during sieges phalanx unites will continue to use their Sarissas' when fighting on city walls leading to my troops and the enemy's staring at each other, the only way to override it being to order them into the streets so they rush into the enemy ranks which causes the enemy to rout.

Quote Originally Posted by Citadelen View Post
    I have to go into my financial report to see how much money I have because the indicator thingy will only display the last number, also during sieges phalanx unites will continue to use their Sarissas' when fighting on city walls leading to my troops and the enemy's staring at each other, the only way to override it being to order them into the streets so they rush into the enemy ranks which causes the enemy to rout.
    Phalanxes don't have secondary weapons, they are bugged in M2TW.

When the phalanx breaks, could you swap them to a different unit? So the sarissa is permanently lost

Changelist for 2.04b:
    • Reduced distance from capital penalty slightly, from 0.35 to 0.3, and halved for camps.
    • Reduced corruption modifier for camps.
    • Increased impact of garrisons - now caps at 50% rather than 40%.
    • Baktrioi cavalry made available to all Hellenistic factions through the polis (though they still have to be in Baktria).
    • Updated the Roman spawn consul script.
    • Updated "Taking Knossos" script to terminate if the human player is KH.
    • Added port buildings to Ebusus, Gadir and Mastia. Also added port garrison to Gadir. Upgraded Lilibeo to market_two, added market_two to Gadir, Mastia and Ebusus.
    • Added schools to Athenai, Alexandreia, Pergamon, Kyrene, Rhegion (for Croton), Ephesos, Kart-Hadast, Syrakousai, Moridumon (for Anglesey) and Taksashila.
    • Added Game Fields to Roma, Capua, Athenai, Korinthos, Pella, Demetrias, Ephesos, Antiocheia, Ambrakia, Taras, Amaseia, Baktra, Pantikapaion, Sinope, Thermon, Seleukeia, Sardis, Ipsos, Edessa, Rhagae, Memphis, Ptolemais-Akko, Pergamon. Also added a Gymnasion to Sparte, Syrakousai.
    • Added Law bonus to port_garrison building.
    • Defensive skill of Maures Infantry and Numidian Infantry reduced.
    • Added hyparchia hidden_resource to Kypros.
    • Old script causing war between Rome and Carthage fixed so it only triggers once; rather than perpetually, irrespective of ownership.
    • Trialling new cultural mix in Iberia and Balkans (regions with the following hidden_resources impacted lusitan, iberia, celtiberia, dacia, thrakia, illyria). "European Tribal States" (rel_e) becomes "Northern Tribal States" and "Indian Tribal States" (rel_i) becomes "Southern Tribal States"
    • Added free_upkeep_unit to Komatai, Komatai Toxotai and Dacian Light Phalanx. Also to Caetratii.
    • Slight adjustment's to Pyrrhos and Makedonia's starting armies.
    • Machairophoroi added to helcol_two and polis_two.
    • Added Thureophoroi and Phalangitai to Carthaginian mercenary pool.
    • Switched the incorrect placement of ImmobileRebel in Getia Koile.
    • Update to Hellenistic colonisation - now holding three polis_two's will grant colonists. This means Epeiros and Bosporans have options without having to take a polis_three, though Baktria is still reliant on the Ferghana event.
    • BAI updates - to formations, cavalry behaviour and some other miscellaneous changes.
    • Increased recruit_offset_priority for horse archers, to prevent Steppe factions prioritising light infantry.
    • Flashing unit button is back, courtesy of Gigantus.

Sylon 

• Reduced distance from capital penalty slightly, from 0.35 to 0.3, and halved for camps.
    • Increased impact of garrisons - now caps at 50% rather than 40%.
    Appreciate that. Had Gader and Mastia revolting away as Carthage in 3rd turn. Couldn't do anything against it. Maybe the distance penalty could even be decreased further - getting balanced with another increase in culture penalty.

[*]Update to Hellenistic colonisation - now holding three polis_two's will grant colonists. This means Epeiros and Bosporans have options without having to take a polis_three, though Baktria is still reliant on the Ferghana event.[/LIST]
    I see your point concerning Epeiros and Bosporans, but IMHO it is not necessary. Epeiros has easy access to Metropoleis by conquering either Athens, Corinth or Syracuse. The Bosporans find their closest Metropolis in Pergamon - ok that's tough - but are they supposed to be the big colonizing people anyway? I prefer the hellenistic colonization being special and valuable. Spreading hellenism seems to easy to me that way.

Last point: I'm deeply sorry, but please deal with assassins again. The Ptolies still flood my lands with them, killing a family member every 5th turn. This happens especially playing Pergamon or Makedonia, which are unfortunately two of my very favourites.

Coronatus

Quote Originally Posted by Coronatus View Post
    Appreciate that. Had Gader and Mastia revolting away as Carthage in 3rd turn. Couldn't do anything against it. Maybe the distance penalty could even be decreased further - getting balanced with another increase in culture penalty.
    I tested it before issuing 2.04b; did you drop taxes and keep a decent-sized garrison there? Do you have spies keeping an eye out for enemy agents?

I see your point concerning Epeiros and Bosporans, but IMHO it is not necessary. Epeiros has easy access to Metropoleis by conquering either Athens, Corinth or Syracuse. The Bosporans find their closest Metropolis in Pergamon - ok that's tough - but are they supposed to be the big colonizing people anyway? I prefer the hellenistic colonization being special and valuable. Spreading hellenism seems to easy to me that way.
    Uh, I wouldn't call taking Athens or Corinth an "easy" option given it involves stoking the ire of either/both local factions. Syracuse isn't an easy option either, since it places you between the vice of Carthage and Rome. The Bosporans still need to take Sinope (not an easy place to hold, given Pontos want it and you have only sealanes to support it) and upgrade one other place (Chersonesos, Byzantion or Trapezous), which is a non-trivial exercise.

Hellenistic colonisation is still special and valuable - but it's no longer virtually inaccessible to some factions without big labours. Remember this is the only means by which Hellenistic factions get any meaningful recruitment, unless you find somewhere with a pre-existing polis (and there aren't actually as many of those as you might think), you're stuck with Allied Government or hoping it's somewhere with some native recruitment.

Last point: I'm deeply sorry, but please deal with assassins again. The Ptolies still flood my lands with them, killing a family member every 5th turn. This happens especially playing Pergamon or Makedonia, which are unfortunately two of my very favourites.

Coronatus
    Are you using spies to root them out/get them caught? And counter-assassins?

As promised, updated to 2.04c with various fixes to broken bits.

Changelist for 2.04c:
    • Updated Seleukid Royal Court script so as not to clash with Successor script.
    • Replaced faulty formations file.
    • Corrected omission of new base religion for Arevaci and Getai.
    • Slight alteration to carthage_poils, carthage_council and numidia4, Greek auxiliaries now available from greek2 as well as greek1 regions.
    • Adjustments to conversion mechanics.
    • Fixed the British Tribesmen properly, now they are just spearmen.

Changelist for 2.04d:
    • Fixed some more immobile armies/mobile garrisons.
    • Updated three provinces with hidden_resource thrakia with their rel_i amendment.
    • Upgraded market in Pella and port in Korinthos. Added helcol_one to Pella.
    • Turned the conversion rates down a touch (to 1/20th their previous rates).
    • More adjustments and fixes to BAI. Small tweaks to CAI.
    • Changed animation for British Tribesmen.
    • Given Pergamon a starting fleet.

Ok then.

Turn 100 playing as Rome and these are the things I have noticed.

Map mode play

1: Carthage hasn't even come close to declaring war on me. In fact nobody has except the Macedonians and 27 turns later there wasn't any of them left to regret it.
    2: Assassin spam. I am being targeted by 4 factions regularly and they keep getting through. Costing me a fair bit to repair things and to keep 6 of my own pet murderers to hunt and kill them.
    3: The replenish rate of the Illyrian Phalanx is too high (imho) 100 turns to be able to get more? Seems a bit steep.

Battles

1: Had a battle where a very large Macedonian force broke into my settlement, then I waited the time out while they piddled about on the walls while I sat my tiny force in the town square. I won by laziness.
    2: If you sally out, the enemy has a little habit of walking their army close to the walls and sitting there being fired at by my archers and the towers (especially in the dark). I won by lack of carrots.
    3: The enemy, having smashed down my gates, just sat there in a nice neat line.... for 40 mins..... I won by inaction.

Overall

Still a fantastic mod. Through all the little things that are wrong, the mod does so much right that, to be honest, I am having a whale of a time.

Oh, many CTD's especially when the Seleucid's are having their turn. I would guess, one CTD every 6 or so turns.

Changelist for 2.04e:
    • Updated colonisation script.
    • After consultation with historians, Pergamene fleet removed - they did not have a standing navy.
    • Taksashila (and India) switched from Urban Tribal to Eastern Imperial "religion".
    • Alterations to morale of Celtic veteran/elite troops. Increased size of Drutonedammoi.
    • Revised Celtic and Celto-Thracian Allied Government pools, and corrected mistake in Massalia pool.
    • Updated Rebel recruitment to be slightly broader and more generous.
    • Revised recruitment in Migration and Confederation governments for Aedui, Arverni, Boii, Getai, Leusitane and Arevaci.
    • Hordes reduced in size and durability.
    • BAI and CAI updates.

That might appear a short list of changes, but many of them are pretty significant updates. One thing I missed on the list - a review of Celtic Rebel garrisons.

IceSaigrin 

Changelist for 2.04f:
    • Pathfinding update.
    • Alteration to stats for Hoplitai Haploi and merc Hoplitai. Also morale for north African units. And stats for Ioudaioi Taxeis.
    • Revision of mercenary pools. Most of them have been rewritten, and those which were out of balance adjusted.
    • Further alteration to Migration governments.
    • Removal of celtic hidden_resource from Beripara.

Particularly interested in people's experiences with the revised merc rosters - note I've changed some of the regions, it isn't just composition. The autumn release, having more units, has a better spread, which is why it's full of notes on placeholders. I'm also considering doubling the refresh (but not changing the pool cap) for all lines. Though I don't know if this will worsen the trend on Hard and higher campaign difficulty for the AI to deplete the pool before the player has a chance to hire anyone.

Changelist for 2.04g:
    • Update to Lugian and Getai recruitment. Adjustment to first Sauromatian government building.
    • Cleaned up overlapping recruitment in eastern Balkans.
    • Alteration of Bosporan government buildings - no more Hellenistic troops (barring the top tier). Small changes to Pontos recruitment.
    • Removal of Pontikoi Doryphoroi from Anatolian recruitment - they're a unit from the northern Euxine shore, not the southern.
    • Increased size (and cost) of Toutanakoi and reduced cost of Katioi.
    • Addition of new early assistance money script.
    • Increased recruit_offset_priority of ships slightly. Increased that of javelineers slightly, to make them more favoured than archers/slingers.
    • CAI and pathfinding updates.
    • Added Kombarogoues unit card to slave folder to prevent CTDs.

Changelist for 2.04h:
    • Removed skirmishing from Khamis. Altered Illyrioi Hoplitai to match their description as (better than average) levies. Reduced Leves javelin attack to match other levy skirmishers.
    • Corrected overlapping recruitment for Allied Governments in Illyria Hellenike, Kalabria and Brettia. Added a placeholder pool for Patava.
    • Fixed Seleukid Royal Court appointment - no more script error causing CTD.
    • Some display text updates.

I know it was only a day since the last one, but the Royal Court CTD was a worth updating for - and I got some other bits and pieces in as well. Mostly on the unit/recruitment side of things, but still, progress.

MorosSylon 

Changelist for 2.04i
    • Another adjustment to Illyrioi Hoplitai.
    • Slight change to garrisons.
    • Reworked two of the Bosporan government buildings - the Tyrranos and Oligarchy are now like the Supervised Native Administration and Native Administration buildings of other Hellenistic factions.
    • Posted the correct campaign_script this time.
    • Trialling a limit of no more than 4 assassins per AI faction.

Sorry, I didn't release the updated campaign_script with 2.04h, meaning the Seleukid court CTD wasn't fixed. Now it is, plus some new things to test.

Sylon 

Changelist for 2.04j:
    • More elegant version of the assassin restriction script.
    • New bodyguard unit for the Getai FMs - now use Boii Donno Eporedoi.
    • Revision of recruitment in Dacia Proper and Mikra Skythia pools in govgetai building.
    • Added a Trader to Buridava.
    • Changed Kombarogoues primary weapon to a heavy javelin, to match model. Drutonedammoi made spearmen only.
    • A small fix to the Baktrian Mission script.

Only a few small changes; if you're playing any faction other than the Getai, it's not worth ending your current game to try this out. On the other hand, if you were thinking about trying the Getai, this would be a good opportunity. They now have a functional FM bodyguard unit, and some tweaks to recruitment that should make them pretty viable given their narrow roster.

Otherwise, the most material changes came with 2.04g - it's from there I'm particularly interested in wider things like faction progression and army composition.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 09-28-2015 at 12:49.

Sylon 

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast