Thread: A Good Bet

Default A Good Bet

I have always loved fighting. I have got in a lot of fights, I have trained in quite a few martial arts, and I have this ability to size someone up with a glance. People have always told me I should bet on fighting, because I have an uncanny ability to pick winners. When I sit down with friends to watch a night of UFC fights, I will successfully call 85-95% of them, and the ones that I don't call successfully, I am usually smart enough to not call at all. I predict the tricky ones that most people get wrong. Of course I am wrong once in a while, but usually it is something like Johny Hendicks VS GSP where I was right about who the winner was, but corrupt officials gave the belt to the loser.

I've always stayed away from gambling, because I know that it is an addiction and that it destroys a lot of people. I finally decided to give it a go though. I committed $30.00, and came to an agreement with myself that if the money I set aside gets used up, I will not commit another $30 for at least a year. All the money I make will go back into my betting kitty and I will not withdraw any of it for at least a year.

I also decided that I would not bet more than 1/6th of it per week. As the money grows, so will that amount.
    Yesterday was my first day betting, and I brought my $30.00 to $38.83.
    A 29.43% increase is honestly way more than I expected.
    If I was to bet every week and keep that record up, I would have $5,224.49 in the kitty by the 20th week.
    Of course I know that with things like this, nothing is certain. I also know that even with a really good strategy some times you do really well and some times you fall flat. If I can even out to even an average of a 10% increase per week, it would eventually be worth my time.

I am actually trying really hard to not let what I know about fighters influence my decisions too much, and instead going with a numbers strategy that seems to have worked well at least the first time. If I find it is not working, I will of course try something else. Even if it keeps working, I will always be looking to tweak and improve.

If I end up falling flat, I have lost only $30.00 (which is actually a lot for me now, but in the scheme of things not that much) and I can always re-evaluate and try again in a year. If I am successful, maybe I can finally get the headlights working on my car.

Have ya'll ever bet on sports before? What luck have you had?
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

Default Re: A Good Bet

I feel free fights are too much of a pure gamble to be wise to bet money on. There's just so many ways that other guy can land a lucky hit in and there goes your hard earned money. I'd try something with more constraints and less room for complete randomness, such as boxing.

I actually am betting on boxing and MMA. The $8.00 I made yesterday was actually on boxing matches. Only $0.83 was made from a bet on an MMA fight. (I just had to throw something on Frankie Edgar, because I knew it was safe in that fight and because Frankie is the man)
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

They finally put odds on John Makdessi, one of my favorite fighters, so I decided I would put some money on him. To get that money, I put several $1.00 bets on 'safe' soccer and tennis matches and won all of them. I made $4.70 net so far and will keep trying to multiply that today. I will put my net winnings on Makdessi, so that even if he loses it will not change my overall plan at all. If he wins though (which I believe he can), I will get roughly three times whatever I put on him.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

I bet on everything because I am a degenerate
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

True story, bro!