Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fallout 4!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fallout 4!

Eh... If we were to look into realism here Washington dc should have been literally flattened.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Difficult that, when the game world is in 1:200 scale to what it models. For instance, destroying Megaton with the nuke might as well have ended the game right there.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Would call it oppressive rather than tedious. Makes sense that the DC-area was hit the hardest and is really bleak when compared to Las Vegas or Boston.
    You call it what you like, so will I, and to me it is beyond tedious (to the point of being oppressive) to make any game based on a brown colored dystopia, or any dystopia no matter the color, it's played out. Throw in a few zombies and we can officially say we phoned it in. And it doesn't help that all Bethesda games look and play to me the same with only the wrapper changing.

So yeah, if we're gonna head down this trail once again I'm happy this at least appears to be taking place somewhere not flattened and with more colors.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

You are absolutily wrong and a black hole couldn't suck as hard as you do right now

(hey it's a Fallout thread let's honour the notoriously uncivilized Fallout forums)
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-06-2015 at 10:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    You are absolutily wrong and a black hole couldn't suck as hard as you do right now

(hey it's a Fallout thread let's honour the notoriously uncivilized Fallout forums)
    where are these fallout forums?

There are a lot. The Fallout online community is kinda notorious for being pricks.

NEVER say that Fallout Tactics was actually good, war never changes
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-07-2015 at 05:41.

It's that time I guess, it won't be comming to the ps3 and xbox360. Boy did these beauty's keep convincing for a long time

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Well, the forums at bethsoft are in fact pretty entertaining currently. That is, if reading some weird trailer-exegesis has entertainment value for you ("Notice that paint bucket? Paintable equipment confirmed!").

Another chunk of info about this one: http://kotaku.com/bethesda-closed-th...day-1711315740

Blog Entries

Do me a favour and find someone else to link to than kotaku.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

What's wrong with kotaku (honest question, I'm an internet neanderthal...)?

Anyway, if you want all the scraps of information on F4 plus a ton of speculation and a truckload of flaming, bethsoft forums is the place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Do me a favour and find someone else to link to than kotaku.
    Do yourself a favor and delete it then. Not like I care.

Blog Entries

...what you think I'm a mod or something? The doesn't make sense.

You guys are awesome.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fallout 4 pre-order is apparently £20ish on Kinguin.
    http://www.kinguin.net/category/1713...-steam-cd-key/
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

...what you think I'm a mod or something? The doesn't make sense.
    My bad, your remark gave me the impression you were somehow involved in content review.

Blog Entries

Nah, my phone's adblock is finicky and I retch at the idea that I could be contributing to Ben Kuchera's paycheck.

Nah, my phone's adblock is finicky and I retch at the idea that I could be contributing to Ben Kuchera's paycheck.
    You're seriously that upset at someone posting a Kotaku link?
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Blog Entries

Considering I was never upset to begin with, no.

Anyone seen anything new that pushes them closer or further away on this one?

So far, not really, no. Although I'm a bit sceptic about the whole settlement building thing. Looks like an inflated Hearthfire (Skyrim) component to me, without much impact on the game apart from giving you something to immerse yourself for a while.

We could talk about this or that capability or feature in the engine (and so gameplay), but at the core it's the Fallout universe and trademark we're concerned with.

That being the case, I honestly have to wonder whether Fallout is just a tired franchise. Options, modding, features, realism, international setting, bla bla bla - it's all beside the point.

Fallout as originally conceived and implemented is simply not translatable into a prolonged series. It was a fine idea for a one-off, but there's nothing really left to it...

It's similar with the Elder Scrolls universe, even if that always had more scope and leeway as a generic fantasy setting. There's just nothing more that can be done with the base.

Ultimately, the only justification for continued Elder Scrolls or Fallout titles from the consumer perspective is that, having some history, they are preferable to "original" content that would just be along the same lines anyway.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 09-17-2015 at 14:49.
    Vitiate Man.

Funny, that's pretty much what I said in a jump the shark thread about CA and Total War. But it also applies to Bethesda who basically make the same game over and over just changing the setting. Much of game development to me feels a lot like the movie industry.

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    Funny, that's pretty much what I said in a jump the shark thread about CA and Total War. But it also applies to Bethesda who basically make the same game over and over just changing the setting. Much of game development to me feels a lot like the movie industry.
    Its not financially viable to come up with something new. Why do you think every new movie idea is independent first then they might remake it as a triple A.

No companies wanna risk money. Too much greed and not enough cajones.
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Quote Originally Posted by I of the Storm View Post
    So far, not really, no. Although I'm a bit sceptic about the whole settlement building thing. Looks like an inflated Hearthfire (Skyrim) component to me, without much impact on the game apart from giving you something to immerse yourself for a while.
    Actually they can make you money when developed enough. So they're actually there for cap-farming.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Less than a month to go!!!

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    ... And it doesn't help that all Bethesda games look and play to me the same with only the wrapper changing.
    I must agree with this assessment. Most TES games follow the exact same formula:
    1. World in mortal danger
    2. Some bigass monster/construct/dragon/whatever as the method of delivery of that destruction (remember Numidium, Akulakhan, Dagon's Avatar or the World Eater?)
    3. You, as some random schmuck imprisoned, shipwrecked or otherwise marooned in the immediate area and prophesied to fix everything.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Mix it up, then:

Set a Fallout-derivative in Future Tamriel.
    Vitiate Man.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Mix it up, then:

Set a Fallout-derivative in Future Tamriel.
    Bethesda to make the next Shadowrun?
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    We could talk about this or that capability or feature in the engine (and so gameplay), but at the core it's the Fallout universe and trademark we're concerned with.

That being the case, I honestly have to wonder whether Fallout is just a tired franchise. Options, modding, features, realism, international setting, bla bla bla - it's all beside the point.

Fallout as originally conceived and implemented is simply not translatable into a prolonged series. It was a fine idea for a one-off, but there's nothing really left to it...

It's similar with the Elder Scrolls universe, even if that always had more scope and leeway as a generic fantasy setting. There's just nothing more that can be done with the base.

Ultimately, the only justification for continued Elder Scrolls or Fallout titles from the consumer perspective is that, having some history, they are preferable to "original" content that would just be along the same lines anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    I must agree with this assessment. Most TES games follow the exact same formula:
    1. World in mortal danger
    2. Some bigass monster/construct/dragon/whatever as the method of delivery of that destruction (remember Numidium, Akulakhan, Dagon's Avatar or the World Eater?)
    3. You, as some random schmuck imprisoned, shipwrecked or otherwise marooned in the immediate area and prophesied to fix everything.
    This is somewhat debatable.

In terms of the Fallout world you can see that there has been definite linear progress from Fallout 1 to Fallout 4, the world has gradually gown and begun to recoverer from the Nuclear Apocalypse, and you have gone from a mad mutant trying to basically take over the world, to the remnants of the US government being neutered to the New California Republic engaged in actual geopolitical battles with other nascent nation-states over resources.

TES has progressed too, in the first four games you had the Empire which essentially meant "the government" and then in Skyrim "the Empire" is just a faction vying for control with the native Jarls and the Thalmor.

It's also worth pointing out that "Random schuck prophesied to save the world from Great Evil" is the plot of the vast majority of games. What makes both TES and Fallout successful is the depth of the law that builds with each subsequent game and the freedom to explore the world the Lore describes.

I'm quite involved in the TES community and I can tell you that the fanbase are really interested in what's going to happen next, and where the game will be set. People are asking if the Empire will finally fall and what will happen when it does.

The Fallout community I'm not really interested in, but I look forward to the release of Fallout 4 as that will finall suck most of them out of the Skyrim community.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast