Thread: windows 8.1

Default windows 8.1

I still play a little eb once in a while. i just put it on my laptop which has windows 8.1. the battles are fine but the campaign map is so choppy it is unplayable.

i did the compatibility fix but it only fixed alexander and not the mod. does anyone know how to make hte fix apply to my shortcut and not hte executable file itself?

Default Re: windows 8.1

eb is not the only thing not working on 8.1!

It seems the only solution is a dual boot if you want to play old games. just not sure if 7, vista, or xp is best.

Quote Originally Posted by moriluk View Post
    eb is not the only thing not working on 8.1!

It seems the only solution is a dual boot if you want to play old games. just not sure if 7, vista, or xp is best.

What is a dual boot, pray tell? I notice that RTW, RTWBI, or either version with EB can get very low frames with large battles and on the campaign map. Mostly I've just dealt with it, but I didn't realize it was an incompatibility issue. I'm also on windows 8.1.
    Last edited by Janas; 06-30-2015 at 05:02. Reason: Dang, just realized this was a necro. Not my day today.

Quote Originally Posted by Janas View Post
    What is a dual boot, pray tell? I notice that RTW, RTWBI, or either version with EB can get very low frames with large battles and on the campaign map. Mostly I've just dealt with it, but I didn't realize it was an incompatibility issue. I'm also on windows 8.1.
    Battles are fine for me. But the regular map is so choppy and delayed. Alexander expansion pack did the same thing. I right clicked the shortcut, properties, compatibility, set it from 8.1 to windows xp. Then is asks you to test first before the change occurs, alexander total war starts up and it runs fine.

But when I launch eb it goes back to unplayable (except battles). I have not tested me2 or eb 2 on it.

Dual boot is where you have two operating systems on one pc/laptop, you have to split the hard disk space and it is permanent. One partition goes windows, the other partition goes to either an older version of windows or in most cases linux.

Last time i did it i had someone do it for me. i think i can figure it out though. but there are legal complications in the newer user agreements with windows and newer pc's about what you can and cannot do.

Quote Originally Posted by moriluk View Post
    Battles are fine for me. But the regular map is so choppy and delayed. Alexander expansion pack did the same thing. I right clicked the shortcut, properties, compatibility, set it from 8.1 to windows xp. Then is asks you to test first before the change occurs, alexander total war starts up and it runs fine.

But when I launch eb it goes back to unplayable (except battles). I have not tested me2 or eb 2 on it.

Dual boot is where you have two operating systems on one pc/laptop, you have to split the hard disk space and it is permanent. One partition goes windows, the other partition goes to either an older version of windows or in most cases linux.

Last time i did it i had someone do it for me. i think i can figure it out though. but there are legal complications in the newer user agreements with windows and newer pc's about what you can and cannot do.

Ah, I see. That sounds complex. Thanks for the response. I can run RTW okay, but always get loss of frames with say, at least two full stacked armies on the screen. And the map has a certain loss of frames as well. It has to be a compatibility issue, as my PC should be more than capable at this rate. Currently, I'm having other issues just getting EB to work with BI. Sorry to respond to an old thread! I wish you luck with this!