Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: After years of pain and humiliation Greece may exit Euro AND EU... PVC says...

Default Re: After years of pain and humiliation Greece may exit Euro AND EU... PVC says...

It's only a matter of time for Greece to leave at this point.

Default Re: After years of pain and humiliation Greece may exit Euro AND EU... PVC says...

Quote Originally Posted by wooly_mammoth View Post
    After several personal experiences where I witnessed for myself the two parallel dimensions, namely the "real" reality and the reality manufactured by the press, yes, I'm ready to put more weight on some random guy's opinion on the facts than on what the mass-media says.
    To rely on the opinion of one person to make conclusions about the life in a country?What if this random guy is a tycoon, or an extremist, or a politician pursuing his agenda, or a europhile, or a misogynist, or (God forbid) Putin? Would it make the picture he paints lop-sided? The selection must be more representative to make more or less accurate conlusions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They cooked the books to get in. They continued to lie about their finances. The locals' favourite sport is tax evasion.

Unless the Germans continue to like paying for their cute pets by the Agean this can't work as getting the Greeks to act like Germans isn't realistic.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    It's only a matter of time for Greece to leave at this point.
    Not yet, the baillout for the banks that help for Greece really is isn't over yet. All the money flows back and the Greeks are left with less than nothing. Pure plunder.
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-22-2015 at 14:35.

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

"They cooked the books to get in. They continued to lie about their finances. The locals' favourite sport is tax evasion." Like in UK you mean?

"Unless the Germans continue to like paying for their cute pets by the Agean this can't work as getting the Greeks to act like Germans isn't realistic." I hope so.
    Last edited by Brenus; 06-22-2015 at 18:16.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

UK budgets often get signed off by an independent audit office. I don't see that happening in Greece or the EU. Yes there is almost certainly tax evasion in all countries. It is extremely bad in Greece.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    Yes there is almost certainly tax evasion in all countries. It is extremely bad in Greece.
    Any facts or just a supposition?

Member thankful for this post:

Brenus 

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

I thought that the fact that greeks don't pay their taxes was as common sense as the sky being blue in a clear day.

Quote Originally Posted by wooly_mammoth View Post
    I thought that the fact that greeks don't pay their taxes was as common sense as the sky being blue in a clear day.
    Learned it from a random guy at a bus station?

"I thought that the fact that Greeks don't pay their taxes was as common sense as the sky being blue in a clear day." As far as I know, the Greeks pay their taxes like in UK, when they are paid, every month (week in my case as I am temp). So, the only one who don't pay taxes in Greece (and UK) are the "auto-entrepreneur", another word for slave, or the riches.
    And, I was explained that if you tax the Riches, they go, so it is counter-productive as they are the jobs creators etc etc... Apparently Greece should imported workers as none of them pay taxes, according to the European Media...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"

http://www.economist.com/news/europe...-sport-no-more

GREEK officials used to shrug off tax evasion as “a national sport”.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    "I thought that the fact that Greeks don't pay their taxes was as common sense as the sky being blue in a clear day." As far as I know, the Greeks pay their taxes like in UK, when they are paid, every month (week in my case as I am temp). So, the only one who don't pay taxes in Greece (and UK) are the "auto-entrepreneur", another word for slave, or the riches.
    And, I was explained that if you tax the Riches, they go, so it is counter-productive as they are the jobs creators etc etc... Apparently Greece should imported workers as none of them pay taxes, according to the European Media...
    I have talked with a few (3) greeks about it... And they all say tax evasion is MASSIVE, and that people more or less expect money for free from the state. Oh, and also that as soon as they entered EU and the monetary union people just started to borrow money like crasy. Not for any real use, but for luxury articles.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Why do you live in the UK when you clearly hate it and the people here?

"Why do you live in the UK when you clearly hate it and the people here?" If I clearly, do you mind to elaborate or to give some evidence where I show this hate?
    And to answer your question I married an English...

And because I do, I expect others to do it as well:
    I never deny that the Greeks (meaning the ones who can, as I said, their taxes are included in their salaries) tax evaded. My point is, one they are not alone (See D. Cameron in UK and "morally wrong" thingy), or Depardieu fleeing to Russia in order not to pay tax in France, two, I was told if you tax the riches they go somewhere else (they love their countries just enough to leave if they have to pay for hospitals, roads and schools) so you loose the elite of the Creme de la Creme, so you loose jobs as they are allegedly the jobs creators, reason why Greece should have full employment as they don't pay taxes so they should at least invest in diamonds, yacht and all these luxury shops...
    I can't dodge taxes. Bankers could and did, can and do. I use Bankers as generic term.

So why Greece is not in full employment? After at least 7 years of remedies inflicted by IMF and Troika, all imposing solutions? So they are obviously not working. Why these vultures carry on to impose tax on pensions when Germany and Luxembourg (by the way Juncker is one who benefit of tax evasion) refuse to allow the Greeks to chase the Greek tax dodgers in their respective banks?

The bail out of Greece was not meant to save Greece but to save German and French banks. If Greece default, the European Mechanism will have to gear up and France and Germany will have to pay the Greek debt.

The propaganda against the Greeks was near racism: we could hear things like in the same time they are lazy and have two jobs, (civil servants being taxi was the frequent line). I don't know for you, but if I have a swimming pool and money for free, and a Swiss bank account (or in Luxembourg), I will not, repeat, not, going to drive a taxi from 4 in the afternoon to late in the night. And the legend of the pension at 50, of course...
    Last edited by Brenus; 06-23-2015 at 21:43.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

I've known quite a few Greeks - all educated to be sure, but they all paid taxes. The impression I got was that your average Greek pays his taxes but the wealthy are dodgers. Essentially Greece has a larger version of the problem every country with professional accountants has.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Brenus 

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    I've known quite a few Greeks - all educated to be sure, but they all paid taxes. The impression I got was that your average Greek pays his taxes but the wealthy are dodgers. Essentially Greece has a larger version of the problem every country with professional accountants has.
    Paying the taxes depends on your profession.
    The greatest tax-avoiders are the millionaires, who are too powerful to be annoyed with such trivial things, a great part of the small businessmen, to whom receipt is an unkown concept, and the vast majority of the free professionals, like doctors or electricians, who greet you by presenting you two options:
    Paying the original price or paying the three quarters of the price, but without any receipt.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

My favorite anecdotal Greek tax-evasion story came from Brits, they said all the new buildings had "unfinished" top floors so the owners wouldn't have to pay property taxes, which were only collected upon completion. No idea if true or not.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    Paying the taxes depends on your profession.
    The greatest tax-avoiders are the millionaires, who are too powerful to be annoyed with such trivial things, a great part of the small businessmen, to whom receipt is an unkown concept, and the vast majority of the free professionals, like doctors or electricians, who greet you by presenting you two options:
    Paying the original price or paying the three quarters of the price, but without any receipt.
    So, essentially, the Western European prejudice about Greeks not paying taxes is correct?

That's disappointing.

I assume the employees of small businesses are paid in cash and therefore also don't pay taxes?

That would mean that the only people who do pay their taxes would be the corporations and those people paid directly by the state, like teachers.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

No, no, no!!! No lying media, please! Only random guys' opinions! Not even sure if ladies' evidence is accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    My favorite anecdotal Greek tax-evasion story came from Brits, they said all the new buildings had "unfinished" top floors so the owners wouldn't have to pay property taxes, which were only collected upon completion. No idea if true or not.
    I don't know about Greece, but it is perfectly true in Gipsy communities in Moldova.
    http://picturetank.com/___/series/60...a_(44306).html
    See the comment under the first picture to the right.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

I know Taiwan had a novel (not sure if original) solution to getting taxes via making sure receipts were issued.

Each receipt at a store would have a unique number on it.

A unique lottery number for a state run monthly lottery.

I win a few minor prizes on it... Enough for coffee or a meal (1 coffee = entree, main meal and a tea).
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    So, essentially, the Western European prejudice about Greeks not paying taxes is correct?

That's disappointing.

I assume the employees of small businesses are paid in cash and therefore also don't pay taxes?

That would mean that the only people who do pay their taxes would be the corporations and those people paid directly by the state, like teachers.
    Yes, the prejudice is basically correct, although the populists' rhetoric about that concerning the vast majority of Greeks is an exagerration.

Regarding the employees, most of them are paid by checks, that's necessary, according to the state's laws and how Greek economy used to operate, but with the increased immigration and unemployment, many young men are obliged to join the black market:
    Officially unemployed, but in reality, working for a tiny salary without any insurance. That is a common practice in the Aegean islands and that's why I discourage everybody from spending his vacations there.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Any facts or just a supposition?
    https://www.transparency.org/cpi2014/results

Select: "European Union and Western Europe"
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

**** just hit the fan...

Will be an interesting time for the EU ahead...

Yeah, the Greeks will decide by REFERENDUM... What? They will ask the Greeks citizens their opinion? Democracy in an EU member? The Commission will be p**** off!!!

Yeah, the Greeks will decide by REFERENDUM... What? They will ask the Greeks citizens their opinion? Democracy in an EU member? The Commission will be p**** off!!!
    There is a little more to it than that...

Greece has basically said "we will..." and "later we shall" and generally postponed the whole thing indefinitely... When placed against the wall, in our out, THEN they went like "Uuuuuuh, we need more time... This time for a referendum... So, six more months, a year is ok eh?"

No wonder the rest of Europe is pissed at them. They don't act in a honest way. Heck, they haven't since they joined the EU.

Kick greece to the wolves is what I say. Good riddance.

"There is a little more to it than that..." Yes there is. Greece (former government(s) of) was help by the crook actually at the Head of the European Central Bank to cook the book in order to be part of European Union. The actual President of the European Union was the head of a State that actively encourage tax evasion as it profits from it.
    European Union bailed out Greece few time in order to save their banking system, and for Greece to be able to pay all the military equipment Greece bought to Germany, including two sub-marines that don't really work.
    For now more than 5 years, Greece is under a program of looting, sorry, austerity measures, that failed to create one job, put hundred of thousand in misery, but makes a lot of money for bankers and others vultures.
    Undeterred by the total failure of their plan(s), the EU & IMF want to carry on in stockpiling debt on Greece.
    The actual government was elected on a platform to stop this madness. The EU & IMF decide to go for the jugular, to make an example. Well, the actual Greek Government out-maneuver them.
    Come on, let's Lagarde (actually the worst minister of finances France ever produce) and Joncker go to explain to the Greeks the benefit on long term of increasing the price of food and medicament and to decrease the taxes for the Riches.
    You know, the Greeks are educated people and the plan is good, they will made sacrifices, as they did in the past.
    The problem of course is all evidence prove the plan wrong: the Debt did increase, unemployment went up to the sky, no future for the youth, only air is left as everything else should be privatised (sold to the same who plunder the country).
    So perhaps time to really tackle the problem with a realistic plan for the Greek population and Europe.

"Kick greece to the wolves is what I say": The funny thing is you can't. See, that the trouble when you follow only media's "experts". There is no mechanism to expel a country, as they are allegedly all equal. The same for Euro. So, that will be fun when Europe will want something, like extension on Russian's sanctions.
    I foresee interesting time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Learned it from a random guy at a bus station?
    My dad lived in Greece for ten years and it's endemic. It is indeed the national sport.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    I can assure you that this is indeed the case. All over Corfu you see this. I wondered why and asked my dad and that's what he told me, supported by Greeks themselves who actually sniggered . To them paying tax is an option. One they rarely take up.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    I can assure you that this is indeed the case. All over Corfu you see this. I wondered why and asked my dad and that's what he told me, supported by Greeks themselves who actually sniggered . To them paying tax is an option. One they rarely take up.
    i have seen the same in rhodes, and heard the same explanation from the locals.

you've never seen so many nearly attractive houses with reinforcing rods sticking out the top of the flat concrete roofs.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    There is a little more to it than that...

Greece has basically said "we will..." and "later we shall" and generally postponed the whole thing indefinitely... When placed against the wall, in our out, THEN they went like "Uuuuuuh, we need more time... This time for a referendum... So, six more months, a year is ok eh?"

No wonder the rest of Europe is pissed at them. They don't act in a honest way. Heck, they haven't since they joined the EU.

Kick greece to the wolves is what I say. Good riddance.
    Who are the wolves really. Dutch, German and French banks are getting a baillout at the expense of everybody

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast