Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10 years

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: 10 years

Getting really curious now, wtf happened can I get a discrete summary. I never understood why Louis suddenly stopped posting, I never noticed anything wrong between anyone. Me and Tribes perhaps and I really regret how that turned out, but that's about it.
    Last edited by Fragony; 07-23-2015 at 13:51.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    You know, I don't exactly remember what Loius said but I remember it made me feel a little ill. It was bad enough that I thought it demonstrated he shouldn't be a mod, but far from being ban-worthy.
    We have some rules, so I cannot go into full details, but I will clear something up.

Louis was not banned from the Org, his choice to leave was his free will and isn't/hasn't been barred from coming back at anytime.
    Last edited by Beskar; 07-31-2015 at 04:09.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Banquo had nothing to do with Louis leaving. I'll leave it at that.

Member thankful for this post:

The Marquis de Sade terrified people. Brilliant guy. I wouldn't give Louis the same credits but those who have no sense of humour and can't sense what should be pefectly obvious and harmless sarcasm all the less aren't getting any regardless. I miss AdrianII as well, sarcasm wasn't his thing but he sure was good at being arrogant, and that isn't in any way an insult, just an acknowledgement of decorum.
    Last edited by Fragony; 07-23-2015 at 16:35.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Banquo was a scholar and a gentleman.

Louis was funny and a good soul.

I miss Pindar too. Doubt he misses me though...
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    Banquo was a scholar and a gentleman.

Louis was funny and a good soul.

I miss Pindar too. Doubt he misses me though...
    Strictly speaking, Banquo was a scholar and a nobleman...
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Looking back at how I conducted myself...19 was a very angry age for me.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec View Post
    Banquo had nothing to do with Louis leaving. I'll leave it at that.
    False. I'll leave it at that.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Reminds me, I miss AdrianII as well, the smug bastard. We live in the same town and I have known that he frequently visits the same place I do for years, and he knows that as well. Unspoken gentlemen's agreement that we don't know, could have sat right next to him so many times.

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

I miss Red, don't remember his full name. Captain in the US Artillery. Hard to debate with, you made one approximation or miss one comma, and bang, you were in trouble... Wife bi-polar, if I remember well. But what a debater...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I miss Tribesman.

On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    I miss Tribesman.
    I just reopened the tab to write that. He was mostly right, not always but mostly.
    Unfortunately his sense for justice was so strong that he could not stay among people who are often wrong.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I remember hating his guts so much when I first came here. Then as my views changed I didnt hate him nearly as much. Then he left, much to my disappointment.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    I just reopened the tab to write that. He was mostly right, not always but mostly.
    Unfortunately his sense for justice was so strong that he could not stay among people who are often wrong.
    Threatening with comming to your house to 'pay you a littlle visit' ain't nice though. I am sorry about how things went. I was just trolling Tribes when I reported him but Tosa(rip) took it really serious. I tried to undo it because it was probably just a drunk action to threaten me but it was too late, things were set into motion. Tosa forwarded a mail of mine in which I asked him to come back but Tribes felt like the org staff had sided with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    I miss Red, don't remember his full name. Captain in the US Artillery. Hard to debate with, you made one approximation or miss one comma, and bang, you were in trouble... Wife bi-polar, if I remember well. But what a debater...
    Redleg ,i remember him too. Very strict fellow, but i remember admiring his sense of justice and common sense.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    False. I'll leave it at that.
    Really? That's not how I remember it, but nevermind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec View Post
    Really? That's not how I remember it, but nevermind.
    I am curious with the connection myself, but it could have a reference to Louis-gate...

There was a theme that Moderators were seen as 'above' the law and a couple of examples which received majority of the stink were by BQ and Louis. In their separate ways, they received the brunt of the 'attack' which BQ retired and led to Louis-gate.
    Last edited by Beskar; 07-31-2015 at 04:10.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

I missed all of this but I liked BG, he was a gentleman who insisted on courtious behaviour. Nothing wrong with that.

Husar 

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

unreal that Fragony of all people doesn't know what the joke was that led to Louis getting tossed.

the staff got trolled very hard by a loser who had an axe to grind with Louis. the staff took the troll's side. it's grated on me since but for some reason, probably my nostalgia from the Rome 1 era of the forum, I took a role back here. I've sat here half heartedly barely moderating much and I attribute most of that discouragement to the way the admins handled Louis and BG. I'm a pretty big coward for having done this. I'm sorry to you all

anyway, 10 years. it's largely due to this backroom that I've gone from a raging Conservative Club (lol) member to spending free time on grass roots efforts for Sanders. I learned a lot back here and am very grateful to have found this place at an age when I needed it most.

Members thankful for this post (7):

+ Show/Hide List

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

My feelings exactly. I pop in to check in on my favorite British posters. Most everyone else I have other ways to contact. Well that and being a creature of habit.

The backroom has always been sort of an aberration on what is (was?) a hardcore mod forum for a hardcore fan base of a niche (well was) game. Louis and Banqou ended up not meshing with these friendless Virgins and faux demagogues and left. Presumably because they are well adjusted adults with hobbies and girlfriends.

Im over it. This place is a habit of nothing else.
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 07-30-2015 at 00:42.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Quite frankly, I never wanted Louis to leave, but he did show behaviour that was not okay, especially not for a moderator.
    As Tiaexz says, an "okay, that was not a great idea" might have helped here and there.

I don't even remember the joke, I can take jokes perfectly fine. This is a sad outcome of something perfectly innocent.

I'll take it as a compliment that Louis never explained anything to me

edit: just to make it clear, I have no idea what joke it was, probably a funny one. I have no idea who took offence, and who caused any trouble. I just learned now it was because of a joke against me, but I had absolutily nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by Fragony; 07-30-2015 at 07:38.

Well out of the two categories Strike listed, I'm glad I'm not in the friendless virgin camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    I don't even remember the joke, I can take jokes perfectly fine. This is a sad outcome of something perfectly innocent.

I'll take it as a compliment that Louis never explained anything to me

edit: just to make it clear, I have no idea what joke it was, probably a funny one. I have no idea who took offence, and who caused any trouble. I just learned now it was because of a joke against me, but I had absolutily nothing to do with it.
    It was not just one single thing, the joke towards you was neither the beginning nor the end of it and it is correct that you had not much to do with it. There was a conflict in terms of rules. Should we allow mods to say things members are not allowed to say or should we allow it because it was a joke? In the first case the members would complain that mods have special rights in terms of speech and in the letter case, members could insult eachother and then claim it was a joke. That was more or less how it began and was endlessly debated until it actually escalated. As long as there was just a debate, noone was going to get fired, that only came up when instead of apologizing and forgetting about it, Louis decided to one-up his questionable approach to the matter in order to prove some kind of point that he was right.

Beskar 

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

It was not just one single thing, the joke towards you was neither the beginning nor the end of it and it is correct that you had not much to do with it. There was a conflict in terms of rules. Should we allow mods to say things members are not allowed to say or should we allow it because it was a joke? In the first case the members would complain that mods have special rights in terms of speech and in the letter case, members could insult eachother and then claim it was a joke.
    Bollox. I've learned some things in the meantime (and Prole's post confirmed it), and it had nothing to do with that. We've allowed far worse before and since with no consequences. I can't even blame ACIN any more. If it hadn't been him, it would've been something else.

In one single stroke of pettiness, we were robbed of BQ, Louis and Adrian, certainly among our best and brightest. It's a disgrace and someone should at least be a man and own up to it instead of hiding behind "we don't want to reveal anything out of respect to them".

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat View Post
    unreal that Fragony of all people doesn't know what the joke was that led to Louis getting tossed.

the staff got trolled very hard by a loser who had an axe to grind with Louis. the staff took the troll's side. it's grated on me since but for some reason, probably my nostalgia from the Rome 1 era of the forum, I took a role back here. I've sat here half heartedly barely moderating much and I attribute most of that discouragement to the way the admins handled Louis and BG. I'm a pretty big coward for having done this. I'm sorry to you all

anyway, 10 years. it's largely due to this backroom that I've gone from a raging Conservative Club (lol) member to spending free time on grass roots efforts for Sanders. I learned a lot back here and am very grateful to have found this place at an age when I needed it most.
    Glad to see you still around. Chatroom nostalgia is the only reason I'm still around here. I also enjoy reading the threads here in the Backroom, but I don't really post. It's just become something of a habit for me to visit. Maybe I'm just hoping that I'll see some people from way back post again. People who were hilarious and smart, and I learned a lot from about a lot of different things. I really miss those people... There's still a few around, but a lot are gone. I'm not sure where I was going with this really, just miss the good ole days. I don't have any idea what happened to Louis, I've always wondered about that. He seemed like a really good guy from what I could tell, really funny as well.

tl;dr Sad nostalgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    In one single stroke of pettiness, we were robbed of BQ, Louis and Adrian, certainly among our best and brightest. It's a disgrace and someone should at least be a man and own up to it instead of hiding behind "we don't want to reveal anything out of respect to them".
    Just a question, do you think it is appropriate to discuss some of the more private interactions with members (like Louis)..
    1) without their their permission.
    2) in circumstances they cannot refute, deny or defend statements.

Because honestly, in my opinion, that is a can of worms that shouldn't be opened.
    Last edited by Beskar; 07-31-2015 at 04:02.

Blog Entries

Could someone please just tell us non veterans what happened with Lois?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It was not just one single thing, the joke towards you was neither the beginning nor the end of it and it is correct that you had not much to do with it. There was a conflict in terms of rules. Should we allow mods to say things members are not allowed to say or should we allow it because it was a joke? In the first case the members would complain that mods have special rights in terms of speech and in the letter case, members could insult eachother and then claim it was a joke. That was more or less how it began and was endlessly debated until it actually escalated. As long as there was just a debate, noone was going to get fired, that only came up when instead of apologizing and forgetting about it, Louis decided to one-up his questionable approach to the matter in order to prove some kind of point that he was right.
    Not 'not much to do with it', but 'anything at all'. I just heard about it now

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Just a question, do you think it is appropriate to discuss some of the more private interactions with members (like Louis)..
    1) without their their permission.
    2) in circumstances they cannot refute, deny or defend statements.
    1) Those mentioned already proved they don't care what happens here by leaving and never looking back.

2) There's no need for you to give us your version - simply post the thread or threads from moderator's private garden here and allow everyone to draw conclusions for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Could someone please just tell us non veterans what happened with Lois?
    Read Prole's post. The only detail omitted is that a rather big part of the .Org staff (mostly those not involved in the backroom) were just waiting for an opportunity and ACIN delivered it to them on a silver platter. Louis and Banquo left and Adrian followed suit after learning the reasons of their decision.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast