Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody still around?

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Default Re: Anybody still around?

Quote Originally Posted by Iskander 3.1 View Post
    Oh, you know...life and all...

Dude, I thought...

You're basically back from the grave, man. You left abruptly and never returned.

I had a sad! It has goned away nao.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Member thankful for this post:

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

He got a life?
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

By my count we have 20 players who have overtly expressed interest, plus three others who might be playing. This is as good enough of an excuse as anything to give you guys an appetizer:

Nassau, three years earlier:

Two figures met on a small hilltop that marked the highest point on the island. A rough wooden cross, about a foot high, was stuck into the ground.

"It's been a while," said the first figure, moving to shake the second figure's hand. "How be life treatin' ye?"

"They killed my consort," the second figure, the Frenchman, said, motioning to the cross on the ground. "Right near the start. We didn't have enough time to do anything. I loved her, I truly did."

"Ah, I be sorry about that, matey."

"I'm sure it will pass," the Frenchman said. "Maybe you'll have to tell me one of your stories to cheer me up, but some other time. How about you? How fares business?"

The first figure sighed. "Business be tough. We mortal folk can't just go raidin' some Treasure Fleet every time we feel like it. The navies be crackin' down everywhere, you know that."

"So then, you should be happy that I have a contract for you, yes?" The Frenchman leaned in closer. "This wouldn't be an attack against any colonial power, so there will be little risk of a ship of the line coming in and leveling its guns at your boat. What do you say, are the men of the Maven up for it?"

The Captain of the Maven paused. "What be the target?"

"I'm done playing around," the Frenchman said. "I want the
    Presence."

--------------

May 23, 1723
    Aboard the Presence

Nassau had traditionally been the Presence’s home base, but it did have a few other places it was allowed to dock. New Tortuga was one of these. Built only a couple of years before, due largely thanks to the small uptick in piracy (of which the Presence and its exploits played a good part), the island settlement off the northern coast of Hispaniola quickly became home to all sorts of folk of less-than-upstanding persuasion. The settlement grew, more money was poured into it, and soon New Tortuga became a bustling pirate haven.

The problem with boomtowns, of course, is that they inevitably went bust.

Such was to be the fate of New Tortuga. On one fine late spring’s day in 1723, the usual merriment and mayhem was interrupted by a couple of sailors racing from building to building, all shouting the same piece of news: “The French Navy is on its way! The French Navy is on its way!
    La Royale is coming!”

Of course it would come to this. Everyone knew that the French would not be happy with pirates encroaching on their territory, especially not with the period of relative peace that Europe was currently enjoying. It was only a matter of time before they came in and reasserted their authority, much as they did with the original Tortuga after 1684. With this knowledge of the inevitable finally occurring, the exodus from New Tortuga back to the ships was uneventful, almost orderly.

At least, it was until two sailors of the
    Presence looked at each other, with greed in their eyes. While everyone else was filing down, they entered the backroom of the tavern they had been drinking at to take possession of all its gold. Word got passed to the other crew members, and the looting was officially on.

Eventually the other inhabitants of the town realized what was happening, and what had been an uneventful departure descended into the customary chaos of a pirate raid. As the sun started to descend, the mayhem increased. The sound of gunshots and broken windows became more and more commonplace. The town’s pigs were set loose, squealing and running every which way, having absolutely no idea what was happening. Anne the tavern wench walked right up and knifed two pirates to death just so she could take one of their nice-looking hats for herself.

By nightfall, no crew could chance staying in the town any longer, and so they cast off regardless of current circumstance. Every crew’s haul had been tremendous, but the
    Presence, having a time advantage over everyone else, made out particularly well. Celebrating on the ship late into the night, it took them a while to realize what had gone wrong.

“Waitaminute,” one of them said, “where’s the Captain?”

“Oh hellfire, he was still looting Bertha’s place when I got back on!”

“And you were the last one on board before we cast off, right?”

“...we left our Captain behind!”

This realization put everyone in a sour mood and shortly thereafter they went to bed. They would elect a new Captain in the morning, but until then they would ponder how out-of-control the circumstances had gotten that they accidentally left their Captain to be taken in by the authorities.

One person, though, was happier than ever. The Frenchman smiled to himself. The chaos of the raid, brought about by his well-paid accomplices who delivered the initial message of the Navy coming in, had worked splendidly to get him on board. Phase One of his long-awaited plan was complete.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Members thankful for this post (7):

+ Show/Hide List

Downgradez :( Member Iskander 3.1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    Dude, I thought...

You're basically back from the grave, man. You left abruptly and never returned.

I had a sad! It has goned away nao.
    I know, too much going on...with school done and my daughter not so demanding (she's 6 now, believe it or not!) I have a little more time to devote to enjoyable time-wasting enterprises such as Mafia. Good to see you again too, Pizza!
    Strikeout!

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

What's the minimum legal age for Mafia? If there's to be an influx of votes from Portland from people saying ‘Daddy says to vote:askthepizzaguy’ then I'm going to have to cry foul.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.

If anyone's looking to play, I have a sudden need for a replacement on my ongoing game.

I have no memory of the events of Pirate Ship II, and I hope no one else does either.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I dunno. I remember that it was 1st place Zack, 2nd place El Barto, all other places everyone else.

@Ituralde

I remember your name, we must have played together before, but.... checking my memory banks, you'd be ancient.

Which game did we play in together?

Must have been in 2008 or early 2009....
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

You were opposing mafia in the Fight for Inishmore, iirc?

Edit: Confirmed.

I never forget a name. Even when their faces/avatars change....
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 09-01-2015 at 20:17.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He also goes by Duke Leopold of Austria and (briefly) Kaiser Siegfried von Kastilien.

KOTR never forget
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

I always thought mafia players were above petty grudges.

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Especially you.

Hey,

thanks @Askthepizzaguy and @GeneralHankerchief for remembering me.
    KOTR for life!

Yeah those stints were ancient. You got me lynched in the Inishmore one. I also played another Mafia game here, where I was detective and maybe a third, I don't know, I can't even remember.
    Well fourth or third time is the charm?

Also I don't remember changing my profile picture / avatar. What's up with that?

Edit: I seem to have changed it for Shogun:Total War. I only notice the bigger pictures, wich has been a Knight for ages.
    Last edited by Ituralde; 09-03-2015 at 15:10.
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    Especially you.
    I don't have grudges. I merely think that some people deserve what they get.

I might try hosting my Futurama game over here after Pirate Ship, if I can get enough players (at least 25).

Look what the cat, AKA Pizza (), dragged in! That's right. Me.

I would love to play a game here some time. I've been reading a few games here (or more specifically the narrations), and I've enjoyed them a lot.

Looking forward to getting to know more of you!

you, sweetie.

Going to that champions thingy was a really good move. I'm glad Thingy talked me into it.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Sooh 

hehe.. we won!

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard!

If atpg likes you it's a bad sign.

I like most everyone I've met, and pretty much added them all to my friends list, which I have to admit, I probably stopped bothering to do at one point.

If Askthepizzaguy likes you it's a good sign. You're decent folk.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

I can't wait for sooh to be killed Night 1, and then for ATPG to point to it as proof that he is not scum.

Visor 

^Pretty much my thoughts.

Even I'm not that cold.

Wait, yes, yes I am.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Deja vu ;)

Can anyone else host? I won't be able to for around a month, unless it's a completely vanilla game (no roles except mafia, only one mafia faction and perhaps a serial killer or cult if enough players join).

Blog Entries

I'm out in terms of hosting or playing until Pirate Ship finishes, unless it's a *really* small game. It's crunch time in terms of balancing.

I could probably host something non-elaborate.

Mayhaps a test game for a larger one later...
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast