Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iranian Treaty was it even necessary?

Default Iranian Treaty was it even necessary?

The US is trumpeting a treaty with Iran. Reportedly blocking Iran from nuclear weapons (if that was ever their goal) and laying a framework for "safe" nuclear development.
    The whole issue is surrounded with misinformation, propaganda and misdirection. What was accomplished?

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/s...t-of-iran.html
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Iranian Treaty was it even necessary?

Well on the plus side we get to see Bibi and the other warhawks lose their over this deal.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member thankful for this post:

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Not even the Mossad believes Iran is making weapons, would still be very very carefully though, with such a young population a former revolution has runned it's cycle, there is a next one comming, the green wave failed but it's inevitable.
    Last edited by Fragony; 07-23-2015 at 19:50.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    The US is trumpeting a treaty with Iran. Reportedly blocking Iran from nuclear weapons (if that was ever their goal) and laying a framework for "safe" nuclear development.
    The whole issue is surrounded with misinformation, propaganda and misdirection. What was accomplished?

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/s...t-of-iran.html
    What was accomplished was that Iran and the US came to a formal agreement - a decade ago one was calling the other the "Great Satan" and the other was the linchpin of the "Axis of Evil".

This is incredibly important from a political point of view even if, in reality, it will have little effect on Iran's Nuclear program. Being honest, as Iran become more moderate and Israel more cranky I begin to wonder if we might be better off if the Islamic Republic had nukes to counter the Jewish State with.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Members thankful for this post (2):

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

This treaty will open the way for mass tourism.
    The Islamic Republic of Iran will be nuke by thousand and hundred of thousand women in bikini on their beaches...
    Hmmm... Wonder to which way it will go...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Well, the whole west had them under sanctions for what, a decade? Now they've basically offered them permission to do business with the west again. Capitalism will do what it does best: "corrupt" the population with money and consumer goods, thus eroding the islamic state. Might take a while, but I guess they'll become much more moderate long-term.

At worst this deal will delay Iran from obtaining enough enriched material for about a year. At best, this delays their weapons program for 15 years since one of the stipulations is that they can't enrich uranium above 3.67%, which is the level required for nuclear power generation but far below weapons grade. The number of centrifuges will be reduced by over half, leaving them with ~5,000.

This means that the 24/7 inspectors have multiple chances at detecting whether or not Iran is behaving badly. Uranium needs to be enriched over 90% to be ready for a nuclear bomb. The inspectors are looking for a supply chain consistent with enrichment for a nuclear energy program which will look different in size than a supply chain consistent with building nuclear weapons.

Ice 

I guess people are not that passionate about Middle East politics?

Well there really isnt anyone here who thinks this deal is bad enough to tank.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Would the Pollard release be related to this?

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Would the Pollard release be related to this?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/29/wo...mber.html?_r=0

Doesn't seem to be related.
    His parole would prevent him from leaving the USA, so some people have suggested that Obama use his pardon so that Pollard can move to Israel. If Pollard is released from prison because it's consistent with parole practices, then I have no problem with that, but that man deserves absolutely no clemency.

So a number of Democrats are coming out against the deal, including Senator Chuck Schumer who is a big influence in the Senate, which might actually torpedo the deal, as now that some Democrats are seeing at least one of the big guns in the party turn against the President, they might as well.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    So a number of Democrats are coming out against the deal, including Senator Chuck Schumer who is a big influence in the Senate, which might actually torpedo the deal, as now that some Democrats are seeing at least one of the big guns in the party turn against the President, they might as well.
    Well, it's not very suprising, it it? After all, Schumer probably is the untilate Shabbos goy of the Democrats.

Not very surprising, no, but it does say something about his leadership qualities and it puts his future as the leader of the Senate Democrats into question. Though some are wondering if he only announced he was against the deal when he was assured that there was enough Democrat opposition to ensure it would pass.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

So apparently Obama got the votes he needed to maintain the deal, which is a good thing. Because now our allies wont hate us even more.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

So apparently Obama got the votes he needed to maintain the deal, which is a good thing. Because now our allies wont hate us even more.
    Except for one or two of (y)our "most reliable partners" in the Middle East I guess.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Except for one or two of (y)our "most reliable partners" in the Middle East I guess.
    True, but the $3 billion we give them in military aid shuts them up. Not to mention our UN veto power.

Never a good idea to bite the hand that feeds you, right? For all of their protests, Israel is going to have to shut up and take it. Though we will probably calm them by selling them some bunker busting bombs or something else like that. Though not the F-35, they would just sell it to the Chinese anyways.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Peace in our time!
    But...is it peace with honor!?

http://wonkette.com/593572/aw-man-do...do-war-to-iran
    Last edited by HopAlongBunny; 09-02-2015 at 23:59.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

True, but the $3 billion we give them in military aid shuts them up. Not to mention our UN veto power.

Never a good idea to bite the hand that feeds you, right? For all of their protests, Israel is going to have to shut up and take it. Though we will probably calm them by selling them some bunker busting bombs or something else like that. Though not the F-35, they would just sell it to the Chinese anyways.
    And Saudi Arabia will get the Leopard tanks they wanted or so?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    And Saudi Arabia will get the Leopard tanks they wanted or so?
    That or more cluster bombs they can drop on civilian populations in Yemen.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Aren't the Israelis already slated to get the F-35 and fit it with Israeli tech?

Because their military are all arseholes, all the way up.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Ah crap, looks like you are right. Whelp, I suppose now we can expect China to get an F-35 equivalent plane sooner rather than later. Such great allies, right?
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 09-03-2015 at 04:50.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Iran is a natural ally(ish) of the West as they are Persian and don't get on well with Arabs.

Yes, it worries Saudi Arabia, Israel and Pakistan. Good. All These Countries Are NOT Our Friends. They are our strategic partners - they need to want us to be nice to them, not the other way around. They ALL need us a lot more than we need them.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    They ALL need us a lot more than we need them.
    This way of thinking has brought Putin to the impass where he is now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    This way of thinking has brought Putin to the impass where he is now.
    What are you referring to?

Saudi Arabia and Israel are used to doing exactly what they want and us needing to turn a blind eye to their latest abuses as who else is there? Now there would be choices.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

What are you referring to?

Saudi Arabia and Israel are used to doing exactly what they want and us needing to turn a blind eye to their latest abuses as who else is there? Now there would be choices.

In modern world you will never know who needs who more and what may happen if someone miscalculates.

Blog Entries

In modern world you will never know who needs who more and what may happen if someone miscalculates.
    Nobody has ever known for sure who needs who more and who miscalculates.

So... back all sides to a degree rather than alienating one power block.

Saudi Arabia and Israel are used to doing exactly what they want and us needing to turn a blind eye to their latest abuses as who else is there?
    The West needs KSA 1) to keep down the oil prices with a view to upset Russia as much as possible; 2) to keep ISIS from encroaching southwards and Gulfwards. The West needs Israel to keep the Arabs busy fighting with it; if Israel were to disapear they would qucikly find another object to afflict (guess who it would be). These are off the top of my head, one could find other reasons if one puts on his thinking cap.

Blog Entries

The West needs KSA 1) to keep down the oil prices with a view to upset Russia as much as possible; 2) to keep ISIS from encroaching southwards and Gulfwards. The West needs Israel to keep the Arabs busy fighting with it; if Israel were to disapear they would qucikly find another object to afflict (guess who it would be). These are off the top of my head, one could find other reasons if one puts on his thinking cap.
    They really are off the top of your head!

Saudi Arabia in OPEC was responsible for the INCREASE in oil price until very recently - and now the levels are lower than they need for their fiscal accounts as it is the USA with Frackking is causing the low price by fuel flooding the market.

Saudi Arabia is fighting in Yemen and elsewhere for its own self interest. No need for us to help for them to want to do this.

Who said Israel to disappear? Interact with them, Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Iran is a good bulwark against the others - which hopefully stops Saudi Arabia from exporting extreme Islam elsewhere. Iran is actively fighting ISIS in Iraq and in Syria who they are also bestest mates with.

Support the Shia and the Sunni - just like the Iran Iraq war. That way we can ensure both sides loose, as opposed to us being a side at all.

Yes, Saudi Arabia has seen a dramatic decline in its international influence in the past 5 years, and will continue to do so until it too disintegrates as a state by the mid-century.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast