Thread: Game of the Year 2015 Check-in

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Default Game of the Year 2015 Check-in

Ok, so we're more than half way through the year, time to check in and see what everyone has played first half of the year they'd throw in the ring as GOTY material.

No right or wrong answers, this is after all entirely subjective despite everything you read in game forums to the contrary (fanboys and haters I'm looking at both of you).

I'll kick it off with my candidate for the first half of the year which is Massive Chalice. Unless Xcom2 or FO4 boggle my mind (which given they are both rehashed derivative iterations doesn't strike me as likely) that only leaves No Man's Sky (a walking simulator pipe dream in space) as the only possible candidate I see kicking my current choice off it's pedestal.

So, what have you played this year so far that's gotten your undivided attention?

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Game of the Year 2015 Check-in

So far Splatoon, brilliant domination game. Spraying paint is just fun on it's own but it's a very tactical game

Wish that one would come to the PC, shame it's stuck on a platform I'll never buy. Good to hear it's a fun game, certainly looks like it from the trailers I've watched.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    Wish that one would come to the PC, shame it's stuck on a platform I'll never buy. Good to hear it's a fun game, certainly looks like it from the trailers I've watched.
    It is, Half-Life 2 mod kinda copies it. Nintendo hasn't made any objections as it doesn't get in their way
    Last edited by Fragony; 07-26-2015 at 06:18.

You know it's funny you mention that, as I also heard someone trid to port it over to minecraft.

Btw, speaking of console games, I did pick one up the other day, since there's no baseball to speak of on the PC I got Super Mega Baseball for 20 bucks for the PS3, brilliant little game if you're looking for some baseball action. And interestingly enough it caught my attention because of an article about them making a port for PC sold through steam releasing later this month.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

still playing Ace of Spades - past 350 hours now, but not really a GOTY candidate.

enjoying an Atilla campaign, but only because the sassanids are the only viable faction for my playstyle.

playing witcher3 right now, and its beuatifully made and compelling story-telling, but finding the combat overly complicated (blade potions - wtf!) for someone with a busy job and a kid.

ripped through GTA5, love it. this is my candidate for GOTY.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

While not my GOTY, I'll throw in Invisible as a fun tightly conceived bit of fun worth checking out (40% off right now, so only 12 bucks). I suck at it, but I'm still enjoying the hell out of it.

Also having fun with Telos, nice to see another well designed and executed puzzle style game.

Here's a bit more about xcom2, have to say I'm liking what I'm seeing so far...:http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/07/xcom-2-base/

Fallout 4