Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm hosting a game!

Default Re: We're playing!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Serious response: I've been out of the game for a while but that role makes no sense to me.
    It should be noted that this is an El Barto game, so assumptions about whether a claim makes sense carry rather less weight than they might under a different host (not that this is a criticism - it's part of Takhisis' charm).

How are you feeling about the other responses to Visor's claim, btw?

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash
    HARDCLAIM: I am a survivor. This will be the easiest victory I've ever had unless mafia/killing role decide for some reason I'm lying.
    Seems sort of anti fun to claim - but I'm probably an early nightkill so I figure I'd be upfront and claim.
    Maybe we're all just rusty, but this wording screams to me that Visor needs to be lynched.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
    What the claim has done though is take all the air out of any other case that might be made.
    You think? I'd wager it provoked much more discussion than we'd have seen otherwise. Indeed, I've been wondering if Visor might move to a second-phase defence of "I'm just vanilla town trying to get people talking". His last question to me suggests that might be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
    Of course as I write this I am struggling to not just go random myself…
    There's no excuse for random voting now. We can vote people for what they've said (or for what they haven't said) with regards to the Visor wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Maybe we're all just rusty
    It might help you to know that Visor has been playing a lot of games in various different parts of the mafiaverse. From the rest of the roster, BSmith and myself have both been playing fairly regularly. I can't speak for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Hughes View Post
    You think? I'd wager it provoked much more discussion than we'd have seen otherwise. Indeed, I've been wondering if Visor might move to a second-phase defence of "I'm just vanilla town trying to get people talking". His last question to me suggests that might be the case.
    Absolutely. There is much more discussion than there otherwise would have been, which on balance is a positive thing. If Visor does backtrack into that defense, then I would be much more willing to vote for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Hughes View Post
    There's no excuse for random voting now. We can vote people for what they've said (or for what they haven't said) with regards to the Visor wagon.
    Indeed, which is why I haven’t voted for anyone yet. I am tempted to vote for someone that took the knee-jerk “let’s vote Visor because ‘reasons’” path, but I have yet to have any one poster stick out as manipulating that very obvious response. No one has completely ignored Visor either, which would be another thing to pick on.
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unvote: Visor
    Vote: BSmith

I'd actually like to thank Visor for ensuring that D1 wasn't completely useless for once. Anyway, BSmith's being way too wishy-washy here.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, yes... you and GH are correct, wishy-washy is a good words for that. "Struggling to not random". It's day 1, random it like a boss.

And hush, you, switching a vote is not wishy-washy.

Unvote: Ishmael
    Vote: Bsmith
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Vote:Monty Too easy vote and implemented so gently that no one might notice.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

The .org's resident pirate Member landlubber's Avatar

Okay, I've slept on it, and I'm still inclined to vote Visor. His insistence that the mafia don't need or want to kill him is odd. He denies wanting to work with the mafia, but that's exactly what this sounds like.

Furthermore, I'm still stuck on his "good townie" defense. If we take him at face value, he genuinely believes that the mafia are going to completely leave him alone. What incentive does he have in this case to work with the town at all, to make cases against the mafia? If he starts scumcatching, the mafia would want him dead, which runs counter to his strategy. Besides, he seems much more keen on forging an alliance with the mafia (albeit possibly unspoken) than he's willing to say directly.

At worst, we're losing an opportunist who would gladly sell out the town the minute things turned toward the mafia. He's got no real motivation to help us now. I'm all but convinced.

vote:Visorslash
    Last edited by landlubber; 08-04-2015 at 17:45. Reason: spelling

Default Re: I'm hosting a game!

Or invite, vote:Visorslash, rather.

god my spelling is awful today
    Unvote, vote:Visorslash

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Autocorrect, maybe? LIKE FROM A PHONE?
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

If Visor and GH are scumbuddies, that was a very bold opening to the game. Typically, though, it's come from a pair who I can quite imagine being so bold.

ScumVisor making that play would want the wagon started as early as possible, knowing it would generate reasons to vote for other people. Left to linger, you run the risk that votes start piling up too late to be diverted onto a patsy.

What, then, to make of GH's switch to BSmith? He's not a great lynch, imo. It's true that he's been a bit wishy-washy, but I think he'd try to avoid giving that impression if scum (and, afaik, there's not enough of us here who know him well enough for it to work as playing against his meta). But is that switch a move GH would make if he and Visor really were buddies? After the boldness of the opening, it would seem a bit limp by comparison. Still plausible, though.

In other news, I like landlubber's case on Visor. Even if he's wrong about the latter's motives, it suggests a believably townie thought process. Meanwhile, Kage's vote on Monty isn't much less easy and gentle than the vote it addresses. I'd like to see more substance from both of these guys before day's end, if possible.

Blog Entries

I was never intending to keep my vote on Visor. I followed up my initial vote with some purposely ridiculous logic to see if anyone would be lazy and latch onto it. That failed and discussion went in other-ish directions, so I picked who looked the most for-real scummy.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Only just noticed this has started. So, let's get this out of the way, otherwise the mafia Gods may strike me down, Vote: Winston Hughes.

Now I'm going to reread the thread. What are you playing at Visor, has this topsy turvy Ashes series made you a bit crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    Vote: Winston Hughes.
    *satisfied sigh*

I know you're only going through the motions these days, but it still loops my noose to hear you say that.

Oh yeah, and I'm sorry for getting you D1 lynched last time out. I mean, you did turn out to be scum and all, but it was a genuine accident.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

I think that was more down to a careless scum team not paying attention. I'd much rather continue a time honoured tradition than get a win anyway.

So. This whole Visorslash thing. I think when I see something like that I want to vote for them "just in case", I don't want to be one of the townies made to look like a total fool. Usually that's enough reason for me to vote someone, usually. I don't care about winning, but looking a fool? Sure, I care about that,

But... I think I'll give Mr Slash the benefit of the doubt and focus on the reaction to his silliness.

Unvote.

Quote Originally Posted by seireikhaan View Post
    Yes, yes... you and GH are correct, wishy-washy is a good words for that. "Struggling to not random". It's day 1, random it like a boss.

And hush, you, switching a vote is not wishy-washy.

Unvote: Ishmael
    Vote: Bsmith

Random on D1 is usually the way to go because there is an absence of other information to make an informed decision. That is not the case here, as we have plenty of other information given Visor’s claim and the reactions to it.

The way you gloss over this fact along with your quick, easy copy-cat vote for me strikes me as an attempt to seem like you are contributing, but in reality are just trying to make it look like you are.

vote: seireikhaan
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    So. This whole Visorslash thing. I think when I see something like that I want to vote for them "just in case", I don't want to be one of the townies made to look like a total fool. Usually that's enough reason for me to vote someone, usually. I don't care about winning, but looking a fool? Sure, I care about that,
    Yeah, I've been asking myself how much that's affecting my judgement. In the end, though, it's all WIFOM where Visor is concerned. What I'm left with is this: a neutral claim on day one of a small game, with nobody else jumping out as a strong option just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    I was never intending to keep my vote on Visor. I followed up my initial vote with some purposely ridiculous logic to see if anyone would be lazy and latch onto it. That failed and discussion went in other-ish directions, so I picked who looked the most for-real scummy.
    The more I read this, the less I like it.

Blog Entries

Anything specifically about it?

I guess I'm just not seeing the bait in those posts, making your characterisation seem rather forced and, thus, defensive.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Vote:Abstain

Why? Now I just have to read through all of these posts. Where are all the nonsensical joke posts? I'll be back when I read through all of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Csargo View Post
    Where are all the nonsensical joke posts?
    Every post by or addressing Double A, who, incidentally, is not a player but a substitute.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    Every post by or addressing Double A, who, incidentally, is not a player but a substitute.
    Yeah, that's true.

How many mafia/wolves are we assuming here? 1/2? It's been a while since I've played a game like this. Depending on the answer I might vote Visor.

How many mafia/wolves are we assuming here? 1/2? It's been a while since I've played a game like this. Depending on the answer I might vote Visor.
    12 people in the game if I recall correctly so 2 mafia.

For the sake of being fully transparent GH did PM after out initial convo saying he had no intention of keeping his vote on me, so I tend to believe him there hence the lean.

And, no I have no intention of rescinding my claim.

I am exactly what I say I am.

Visor keeps referring to a pair of mafia, but it's not all that unheard of to just have one mafioso in a game this small. Three would almost certainly be excessive.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast