Thread: Why Not Use EB1 Models ?

Default Why Not Use EB1 Models ?

ive been checking on here regularly and it seems everyone is waiting for the new Units , why not just use EB1 Units for now , gameplay is way more important a couple fancy looking models , and at very least they can be the same , they don't have to be 4-6 models for every unit card , this could be done fast and with 0 modelling experience. You can fancy it up later , people would have been happy with EB1 on the MTW engine , it seems the game is just missing a few units & reforms around the world to be fully playable .

More Phalanx options , working Roman reforms & more Calvary options . Anyway just an idea that would solve your 3D skinning issue.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Default Re: Why Not Use EB1 Models ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rovert View Post
    ive been checking on here regularly and it seems everyone is waiting for the new Units , why not just use EB1 Units for now
    M2TW's models are in a different format--not just a different file type name, but also different structure: this is to accommodate the variation within a unit: some variations for certain body-parts have a minimum greater than 1, and also a slightly different skeleton and skinning structure.

To completely import a model from EBI is sufficiently complex that you might as well make new models (and these would look better for M2TW anyways). The same applies to the textures belonging to the models: it's simply more economic in the long run to make units from scratch. I have the same problem in my SYW mod: I could easily import stuff from Sponge's (or Wangrin) superb ETW and NPI mods, but the amount of effort it takes to get it to work on my Alexander total war engine means that I might as well make a unit from scratch.

even ignoring that, we simply have better research nowadays, and for historical accuracy more options. Why use outdated material? it somewhat defeats the purpose of EB's project, don't you think? Especially as there's no guarantee there will be enough people or time to go over the models later, as you propose. Might as well get it as good as possible the first time

now , gameplay is way more important a couple fancy looking models
    well, yeah, but to be fair we have a lot more than a "couple" of fancy models

and at very least they can be the same , they don't have to be 4-6 models for every unit card , this could be done fast and with 0 modelling
    actually, only 1 model set is used per unit (doing otherwise is impossible): What you're actually seeing are the variations within the model, as well as the associated textures (which are on a faction by faction basis...). Didn't you bother reading about unit creation in M2TW first?

You can fancy it up later , people would have been happy with EB1 on the MTW engine , it seems the game is just missing a few units & reforms around the world to be fully playable
    well, we happen to partly agree: a few units have been upgraded now appearance wise, which were in the game on 1st release. But these were only because we got lucky: imagine if we hadn't.

And the reforms are already (hopefully) in the next release: actually, Quintus uploaded a preliminary version in a thread here...

More Phalanx options , working Roman reforms & more Calvary options . Anyway just an idea that would solve your 3D skinning issue.
    -already in the trunk
    -already in the trunk (at least partially)

and for the bold part: thanks, but you're not the first person to suggest all this...this has been discussed before: you just need to use the search engine.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 08-12-2015 at 23:36.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Default Re: Why Not Use EB1 Models ?

lol yea i read about creating the units , we meant the same thing .
    Use the same Phalanx guy change the color give a new name , EB1 had so much of that , i thought it was brilliant.

I didn't know you couldn't use Rome Stuff on M2TW engine , but anyway sounds great .