Thread: Exanima / Sui Generis

Default Exanima / Sui Generis

A heavily physics based isometric dungeon crawler. And when I say heavily physics based I mean that everything, including the weapons swing according to their weight, the time it takes to recover from a swing, the damage....everything. You need to play it to actually see how different it is.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/362490/
    The combat it frustratingly difficult to master (if mastering it is even possible). I've been playing since over 5 hours and am yet to defeat an axe and shield wielding chick. She's opponent number 5 in the novice arena. Haven't tried going very far in the single player crawl.
    In fact fluid movement around obstacles itself takes some getting used to and till then you'll keep tripping on boxes and stuff, falling flat face first. Lot of fun.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Default Re: Exanima / Sui Generis

I watched some videos and it seems a bit ridiculous while they market it as serious realism or so.

I wouldn't call this realistic. Maybe it's funny, but it cost 15€, so.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

It's realistic in the sense how objects and bodies react when they collide with each other. If you create a character who is heavy and carries a big weapon, you can follow a swing with ramming yourself into the opponent which if done at an opportune moment can knock him off his feet.
    The only downside I can find at the moment is the convoluted movement controls, but they're billing that as realistic too. The heavier and larger the body the longer it will take to change movement direction.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

The problem seems to be the way in which characters swing weapons and how easily they end up off-balance. Actual humans would compensate for a lot of what seems to make you spin or be off-balance in this game. It's as though the characters are all drunk and the weapons are made of lead. Even the fighting toward the end of the trailer here looks as though the character is drunk. The Kingdom Come developers demonstrated that swordfighting did not make people look like theyre drunk. I think this game would be interesting if they fixed the drunken behavior.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Looks rather awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    The problem seems to be the way in which characters swing weapons and how easily they end up off-balance. Actual humans would compensate for a lot of what seems to make you spin or be off-balance in this game. It's as though the characters are all drunk
    Well, they can rename it Drunken Brawl, or One Too Many and adjust the graphics so they go blurry from time to time, and the problem becomes yet another realism feature.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Members thankful for this post (2):