Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: A mafi(y)a game

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A mafi(y)a game

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Hmm, I have an idea to make things interesting.

If the game does NOT end with this lynch, then I pledge not to use my investigative powers for all future phases. I suggest that all other pro-town roles do the same.

Seven people, one(?) scum. Turn it into a true vanilla game with nothing but our wits as weapons. Should we get that far. What say you?
    Well, our wits and prior knowledge of scans. But hey, sure, why not. I'm game.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Default A mafi(y)a game - ENDGAME

ENDGAME

Iskander 3.1 was lynched. He was a mafioso, the last one! (that the townies knew about -they wanted to lynch this El Barto who knew all along who the criminals were and hadn't told the town, but he was nowhere to be found. They did find a note saying ‘tistorhs nunim öys’ on his litter, though.)
    Now they rejoiced, partying like it is 1999.

Iskander 3.1: seireikhaan; GeneralHankerchief; Csargo; autolycus; landlubber (5)

Not voting: Askthepizzaguy (1×); Iskander 3.1 (2×); BSmith II (1×)

1. Zack, mafioso, lynched on Day Two.
    2. Csargo
    3. landlubber
    4. BSmith II
    5. Visorslash, townie, lynched on Day One.
    6. BSmith, townie, killed by the mafia on Night One.
    7. GeneralHankerchief
    8. Iskander 3.1, mafioso, lynched on Day Five.
    9. seireikhaan
    10. Kagemusha, townie, killed by the mafia on Night Four.
    11. johnhughthom, mafioso, lynched on Day Four.
    12. Askthepizzaguy
    13. autolycus
    14. TexCat, townie, killed by the mafia on Night Three.
    15. Ishmael, townie, killed by the mafia on Night Two.
    16. Winston Hughes, townie, lynched on Day Three.

The game has ended.

Congratulations, town!
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Default Re: A mafi(y)a game - ENDGAME

I feel like we never had a chance. All those scans and powers with no abilities of our own and no counter.

The .org's resident pirate Member landlubber's Avatar

Yeah, I was surprised that the town had so many power roles. The odds were against you guys. Fun game nonetheless.

And next time I am scum, I am going to absolutely destroy Riedquat on N1.

I was clearly the MVP of this game

GG all

fun game to watch

scum got a bit shafted in the balance department

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    And next time I am scum, I am going to absolutely destroy Riedquat on N1.
    I will destroy you!

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

GG everyone!

In terms of balancing, I think this game was kind of the perfect storm against the mafia. There were a lot of power roles, but each of them had a flaw - I was insane, ATPG could only track, khaan could only see who visited, Kage was a weird sort of imperfect doc/bus driver, etc. I'm guessing that Barto designed my role to screw up really early on in a catastrophic mistake. It almost worked too - I was less than 12 hours away from publicly naming khaan, which would have most likely ended up with the destruction of two separate power roles. Instead, Riedquat beat me to the punch, I got another night result which made me suspect I was insane, and as a result I essentially became a full-fledged Detective, which is never balanced.

So probably one part balancing, but two parts bad luck.

I'll also have more thoughts about networking in an hour or three.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Well, it was worse because private communication is involved, inevitably leading to a network, and since none of us had any powers the town network was never going to be inflitrated, and with no roleblocker (or anything) we had no counter-move to anything the network did. With a roleblocker to prevent power roles from operating and a scan of our own to blend in and infiltrate and create an alibi, we would have stood a much better chance.

And with how often I'm scanned N1, I should have known better than to perform the kill.

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

I so wanted to tell you not to RNG the kill and think it through, but I couldn't… the game was balanced for a handful more people and I had to downsize it… unevenly, as it turned out. I had to take out the Serial Killer, which might have just been left in… also, regrettably, in the last few games I've hosted, the town have managed to make horrendous mistakes, and I thought they'd follow the pattern… one lives and learns. The town sometimes do network. In the past I've prohibited nighttime communication, and I got flak for it… next time I won't. :(
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

To the scum team:

You absolutely got shafted by an imbalanced town power role set, and all of you were found by detective.

Except Iskander, who acted so much like a scumbag that I named him before he got caught by detective.

Gotta work on that, Iskander man!

If you guys don't want to count this game against your scum record, I wouldn't hold it against you. Detectives blow, can we just all agree?

You know, I literally networked with zero people who didn't contact me first. And then I almost told both of them off, too....

I lied to Kagemusha and said I was vanilla, and then I didn't really trust GH and probably would have lynched him at some point.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 09-08-2015 at 03:15.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Member thankful for this post:

If I hadn't replaced in, the game still would have been pretty rough for the scums, just with the powers remaining.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Night talk is great, I hate it when games prohibit it. I have zero problem with the talking at night in this game. If it wasn't allowed, any important parts just happen in private instead, making it even worse for those not in the know.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I have to feel for the mafia. This game was really rough for them. I will second one thing that GH said- we almost had two of the town power roles lynched the first two days because of him investigating me. Problem is, there really shouldn't be 3 people with investigative-esque power in such a small game in the first place. The most powerful tool in mafia is information. In an ideal world, I'm with pizza- no detectives at all. Scanners can work as a substitute, but even then, they're quite powerful.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Okay. Networking.

Since there are SOME PEOPLE out there who insist on putting out the SLANDER that my previously sterling reputation regarding the stain and besmirchment of being a support of town networks is in tatters after this game, I feel like it's time to set the record straight.

I tried really hard not to network in this game. I revealed to khaan on D1 saying that I was a detective (didn't realize I was insane yet, didn't have any results, had the most votes at that point) and could he please not lynch me as a courtesy for making me look like a complete idiot at the end of the previous game. I didn't expect it to go beyond that. When I revealed to Riedquat and later Pizza after Zack flipped mafia, I didn't intend to coordinate actions with them or take orders, etc. I made a judgment call that they weren't scum and thus used them as a conduit to ensure that my results would live on if I died (I was really paranoid that khaan was going to kill me since I was never 100% sure if I was insane or not).

The final night, when Kage contacted me with his role and what he was going to do, I simply online-nodded. In short, I personally never coordinated night actions with anybody, nor did I ever ask for, receive, or give out orders.

Any night communication I did was not a network. It was an entente.

If I wanted to legitimately network, I could have easily done so. I could have pushed hard for a lynching that would have revealed whether or not I was an insane detective much earlier than I did. I could have easily worked with khaan and/or Pizza (as well as Kage) in order to brute force this game and keep the power roles alive. Instead, I for the most part kept the information to myself (while exercising a reasonable degree of caution by ensuring at least one backup), never dictated orders, and made a conscious effort to keep the discussion in the game thread flowing naturally. Yes, my case on john and BSmith on D3 was partially aided by the fact that I believed that john was scum due to my night results. But the death of TexCat, one of my top suspects at the time, would have got me thinking along that path anyway.

Now, there are people who played this game that are far more involved in the current mafia scene than I am. If they and the rest of you guys think that the above constitutes networking, fine, I'll take my sullied reputation and live to play another day. But just know that it could have been a lot worse.

"I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Eeeeeeeeeh… what? why should there be anything wrong with networking? If there were any mistakes here they were mine because I didn't balance the game properly, but no one's having a go at you.

Blog Entries

I'm being half-serious. I'm more trying to convince myself than anyone else; ATPG had been playfully ribbing me all game that my well-known reputation of being totally against networks was in tatters because of what I was doing.

Well, next time I'll specifically ban everyone else but you from private communications, then.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    I'm being half-serious. I'm more trying to convince myself than anyone else; ATPG had been playfully ribbing me all game that my well-known reputation of being totally against networks was in tatters because of what I was doing.
    It is, and I'm not sure how playful I'm being.

Tatters. Utter and complete tatters. You went all the way. You're only not in the ATPG stratosphere of evil in terms of networking because the game didn't have a hundred peoples in it.

You besmirched yourself for all time. ALL TIME. You have the network herps and there's zero cure.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Blog Entries

You know, this is an excellent way for me to reacquaint myself with the .Org's infraction system.

Visor 

What would all the fallen legendary heroes of .org mafia think if they knew the great and powerful Generalhankerchief had reduced himself to networking, with Askthepizzaguy, in your own words, "of all people"!?

Quote Originally Posted by You, You, You
    I'm coming dangerously close to networking and I'm doing it with you out of all people. The world is a funny place.
    Oh @ Sigurd!~ @ Sasaki Kojiro!~ @ Seamus Fermanagh!~

Guess who ended up in bed with the networking antichrist - The mighty and incorruptible founder of mafia himself.

No one can resist the overpowering allure that is whispering sweet nothings into my very evil ears. No one.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Lol you guys! Anyway congrats for the town. My role was a Selfless person. I could replace an individual during a night phase and if the person would have been attacked i would die. So my role was basically a "disposable doctor". Because i was not too keen on replacing random people. Our dear host changed my role so i had a compulsion, which forced me to replace a player each night. Those two nights i had the compulsion. I was replacing GH, which played out quite nice in the end. Thanks for the game everyone.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Good game all, and thanks for hosting El Takarto.

Hopefully this little Org mafia revival keeps going, I always enjoy games here more than other forums for some reason.

Downgradez :( Member Iskander 3.1's Avatar

Good game everybody. We had the odds stacked against us but it was still fun. I'm clearly out of practice! This also reminded me of why I wasn't able to keep up all those years ago...can't do too much posting at work, evenings can be busy, and with the holiday weekend I never had a chance to attempt to defend myself on the last day (not that it would have done me any good). Anyways thanks El Barto and I will try to keep playing from time to time!
    Strikeout!

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    Good game all, and thanks for hosting El Takarto.

Hopefully this little Org mafia revival keeps going, I always enjoy games here more than other forums for some reason.
    It's the TheGuild skin. The best skin of all time.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Csargo 

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    It's the TheGuild skin. The best skin of all time.
    Guild skin? Bah i say! Not that i am in any way biased towards STW and TW2S skins as i made them...
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Morbid skin best skin.

Guild Skin ftw.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213