Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trump

Default Re: Trumped

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    More like the news has demonised him so many times to such ridiculous extent over mild to benign statments and actions
    What were these mild and benign statements? When he said Mexicans coming over were rapists? When he mocked Megyn Kelly as being on her period during the debate? Wew lad

Member thankful for this post:

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

I havent seen any indication that Trump lacks conviction or principles, more that his principles and convictions are ones the left dislikes.

Ignoring that, that description applies to every other right wing politician going for the big chair. And every left wing politician. Save Bernie Sanders who traded a lack of principles for a lack of perspective.

America is screwed.
    You're right. Sometimes I forget how clueless you are.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

More like the news has demonised him so many times to such ridiculous extent over mild to benign statments and actions that people are starting to think that he is not as bad as the papers keep saying he is.

Also i have to congratulate you on that above average godwin; it's lot less obvious and blatant than the usual fare.
    Is it mild statements? If Trump had said ban Christians from moving to the U.S. wouldn't that have been clearly seen by the majority as anti state and religion separation?

He wants to shutdown the Internet because of terrorists using it. Why not stop people driving cars as it will stop terrorists from driving. I assume he knows the CEO of Ford too and he can make that happen.

Then he acts as if freedom of speech is an inconvenience to security.

So you have someone who is anti freedom, anti free religious association, anti free movement. Saying he wants to enact all these by calling on the barons of capitalism to make it happen.

So he might protect Americans from one flavour of terrorism by removing all ones freedoms, yay. I wonder what profit for their shareholders the CEO's will require to make it happen. I'm sure the rest of the U.S. will be fine, bubble wrapped until they can't move, but fine.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    What were these mild and benign statements? When he said Mexicans coming over were rapists? When he mocked Megyn Kelly as being on her period during the debate? Wew lad
    When he said they should put a temporary ban muslim immigration until the TSA and DHS got thier act together the news played it like he had said he wanted to evict all muslims from the USA. When he said he was looking for ways to cut off internet access for individuals the media said he wanted to destroy the internet. You really want to tell me that I am wrong when I say he's being smeared beyond reason? Especially when he has plenty of legitimate faults?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    You're right. Sometimes I forget how clueless you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    Is it mild statements? If Trump had said ban Christians from moving to the U.S. wouldn't that have been clearly seen by the majority as anti state and religion separation?

He wants to shutdown the Internet because of terrorists using it. Why not stop people driving cars as it will stop terrorists from driving. I assume he knows the CEO of Ford too and he can make that happen.

Then he acts as if freedom of speech is an inconvenience to security.
    This guy's chugging the coolaid and you people call me clueless?
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-12-2015 at 22:47.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Wew lad

Wew lad
    At first I thought it was a variant of "phew", but after looking it up I'm just confused.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    At first I thought it was a variant of "phew", but after looking it up I'm just confused.
    I think he mean to spell "wow", as if to say: wow, you are crazy.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

So,

“Wew Lad” is an obfuscatory expression associated with circle jerking or shitposting,

On March 26th, 2010, Urban Dictionary[4] user Chunky Milk submitted an entry for “Shit Posting,” defining it as the act of making an unconstructive post on an online forum.
    “1: The failure to make a constructive post
    2: The inability to add useful information to a forum
    3: Worthless overly offensive generally racists posts written in a manner which aggravates others.”

Hence, wew lad.

Blog Entries

I'm reminded of a quote from a wise man...
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-12-2015 at 23:22.

@Greyblades,

CIN wasn't joking. Trump really said those things. You don't live in the States so I understand that you don't know about US politics. I know a Chinese-Australian who was like you. He lacked interest in what I had to say about Trump until I told him what Trump said about China. So he googled. Now he agrees with me. He rants about Trump each time I meet him.

And I think you don't know any Mexicans or any minorities from the US. This is probably why you believe everything Trump says.
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 12-13-2015 at 03:16.
    Wooooo!!!

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I think Trump is a disgrace. His latest muslim ban statements are only the latest example. It's only temporary until we either 'figure out what's going' on or 'get our act together'? What does that mean? What will figuring out what's going on or getting our act together look like?

He's great for making "take a stand" or "tell it like it" is statements that are extremely light on facts or substance. It's all bluster with an implied "Trust me, I'm a business man!" after it. I don't trust him- he's a reality TV star and a crony capitalist.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Husar 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka_Khan View Post
    CIN wasn't joking. Trump really said those things.
    I know, I have been following this about as long as any of you, but I find myself not really caring.

He insulted a woman over her menstral cycle, so what? Men insult eachother about the size of thier dicks. It's immature, idiotic sure, but frankly It means little to me, and I thought we were supposed to view women as equals, not a protected species.

He generalized about immigrants in a speech, said they're rapists, that's pretty shitty but frankly it seems like a gaff. Trump said:

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

It sounds like he planned to say "they're bringing their drugs, their crime, their rapists." and he wouldnt be wrong to say it, but it morphed into that and the media had a field day.

Saying stupid things he didnt mean in the heat of the moment that he immediately regrets hardly makes him irredeemable. You've done it, I've done it and any man who claims he hasnt done the same is a liar.

If we disqualified ever politician that does so from office the house, senate, oval office and supreme court would have been empty for 200 years.

You don't live in the States so I understand that you don't know about US politics. I know a Chinese-Australian who was like you. He lacked interest in what I had to say about Trump until I told him what Trump said about China. So he googled. Now he agrees with me. He rants about Trump each time I meet him.
    Should I congratulate you on enabling a fanatic? Your friend sounds very boring and singleminded if every time you meet him he rants about trump.

Also it sounds more like he's done the exact opposite of what I have.

And I think you don't know any Mexicans or any minorities from the US. This is probably why you believe everything Trump says.
    ...Since when did I say I believe everything he says?

The TSA has a 95% failure rate.

The Department of Homeland Security employs numerous FBI terror suspects.

So when I agree when Trump says it's so bad america should cut off muslim immigration until America's border control can be made to not be completely useless, the only explanation you can think of is that I "believe everything he says"?

You say I believe everything that trump says but I think it is you who believes everything said about Trump.

Some on this thread seem to take any and every excuse to hate him.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-13-2015 at 16:01.

Blog Entries

I really need to take a breath before posting, I end up with edit fests that go on for hours.

You need to leave the internet on weekends and head to the pub.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

When he said they should put a temporary ban muslim immigration until the TSA and DHS got thier act together the news played it like he had said he wanted to evict all muslims from the USA. When he said he was looking for ways to cut off internet access for individuals the media said he wanted to destroy the internet. You really want to tell me that I am wrong when I say he's being smeared beyond reason? Especially when he has plenty of legitimate faults?

This guy's chugging the coolaid and you people call me clueless?
    To drink the coolaid one has to believe the coolaid.

I've only quoted Trump and put different religions or industry in it to show how vile and stupid his ideas are.

Sure he says stupid things in the heat of the moment. More then average and people are going to give him the leadership of the biggest military in the world and his finger on the nuclear trigger.
    Last edited by Papewaio; 12-13-2015 at 21:44.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Should I congratulate you on enabling a fanatic? Your friend sounds very boring and singleminded if every time you meet him he rants about trump.
    Actually, that's why I try to avoid him. He is very cynical about a lot of things, not just Trump. He is very depressed about his own life, and he has an explosive temper. I didn't call him 'my friend'.

That being said, Trump is still problematic.
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 12-14-2015 at 15:14.
    Wooooo!!!

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    I think Trump is a disgrace. His latest muslim ban statements are only the latest example. It's only temporary until we either 'figure out what's going' on or 'get our act together'? What does that mean? What will figuring out what's going on or getting our act together look like?

He's great for making "take a stand" or "tell it like it" is statements that are extremely light on facts or substance. It's all bluster with an implied "Trust me, I'm a business man!" after it. I don't trust him- he's a reality TV star and a crony capitalist.
    But he is worth OVER 10 BILLION DOLLARS

Blog Entries

He generalized about immigrants in a speech, said they're rapists, that's pretty shitty but frankly it seems like a gaff. Trump said:

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

It sounds like he planned to say "they're bringing their drugs, their crime, their rapists." and he wouldnt be wrong to say it, but it morphed into that and the media had a field day.
    I thought it over and what I said here is too close to apologism for me to let stand.

Trump was a jackass for saying it, I dont hold it against him as much because a) I agree with the underlying point that immigration needs to be controled and letting it continue like it is will only result in more foreign crime spilling over the border and b) I've been told time and again that both side's politicians go extra crazy during the primaries and I wrote it off as just more of that; he didnt mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    I've only quoted Trump and put different religions or industry in it to show how vile and stupid his ideas are.
    Except you didnt quote trump, you quoted the misleading versions trumpeted by the media:
    His idea of a ban on muslims is a temporary measure until the TSA can get it's act together and the DHS can prune it's ranks of terrorist suspects.

He didnt want to shut down the internet he wanted to cut off access to ISIS members and supporters.

Both ideas are sound goals for anyone to have they just arent practical which would be a reason to critiscise him for but it seems noone wants to even bother deviating from the "Trump is Hitler" narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka_Khan View Post
    Actually, that's why I try to avoid him. He is very cynical about a lot of things, not just Trump. He is very depressed about his own life, and he has an explosive temper. I didn't call him 'my friend'
    Sounds like half the people here on all ends of the political spectrum, but yeah I can see the similarities in me. Personally I try to keep the rants and cynicism here in the Backroom so they dont interfere with real life.

That being said, Trump is still problematic.
    Maybe he is, but unless someone of better character comes along who is as strong, willful and unfettered by self destructive idealism as trump he's the best option america has.

Hence why I say: america is screwed. The best chance you have is to vote in Trump or Sanders and hope that when the chips are down they arent as impractical/weak as they make themselves out to be.

Personally I think Trump has a better chance of having sense talked into him than bernie has of growing a spine.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-14-2015 at 18:15.

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Trump is the best option America has?

Presumably Katie Hopkins is the best option the UK has.

Trump is dangerous, delusional, discriminatory and plain dumb.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Maybe he is, but unless someone of better character comes along who is as strong, willful and unfettered by self destructive idealism as trump he's the best option america has.
    Well, Trump is indeed willful...

By those criteria Hillary Clinton would have to be America's best option.
    Vitiate Man.

In all seriousness, do people really think Trump is going to act on every statement he's made if he actually gets elected?
    I mean politicians say a lot of stuff during campaigning, but that is all it is. Saying stuff to get the votes.
    People need to stop overreacting and need to start taking things he says with a pinch (a very big pinch) of salt. Specially when he's known to have a flair for drama.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Blog Entries

Well, Trump is indeed willful...

By those criteria Hillary Clinton would have to be America's best option.
    I said better character, not devoid of character.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-14-2015 at 18:56.

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    In all seriousness, do people really think Trump is going to act on every statement he's made if he actually gets elected?
    I mean politicians say a lot of stuff during campaigning, but that is all it is. Saying stuff to get the votes.
    People need to stop overreacting and need to start taking things he says with a pinch (a very big pinch) of salt. Specially when he's known to have a flair for drama.
    Trump is a populist, no doubt about that, BUT, he has given some very specific promises. Wall on Mexican border, for instance. How he's gonna get out of that one?

His rhetoric would also make it much harder to conduct diplomacy with a number of very large and important nations, like Mexico, China, Muslim countries...

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

The man is as shallow as a puddle of mud. No ideological depth whatsoever. His standard responses to questions about complicated issues are:
    "I will figure this out once I'm in office, you can trust me because I'm rich and succesful"
    "I have a brilliant strategy, I just keep it to myself to prevent the other candidates from claiming it as theirs"
    "Did I mention I'm rich?"

His winning strategy has been to act like an even greater asshole than he is in real life (I'm guessing, but who knows?). A smart strategy actually, because he's certainly not going to defeat other primary contenders with his factual knowledge, debating skills or the dignity of his persona.

There are plenty of people who don't know shit and who say crass stuff all the time. Not all bad people, necesarily. But Trump is not an idiot, even though it's easy to think of him that way. It's plain as water that he's never going to defeat whoever the Democrats nominate and he should know better than to turn a presidential race into a Reality TV show with his stupid bullshit.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Trump is a populist, no doubt about that, BUT, he has given some very specific promises. Wall on Mexican border, for instance. How he's gonna get out of that one?
    ...By building a wall? I mean I dont remember him promising a 50 foot high concrete monstrosity, if he just uses chain links and barbed wire like hungary has done it'll be reasonably achievable, expecially as a third of teh border allready has walls thanks to Bush.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-15-2015 at 02:56.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec View Post
    But he is worth OVER 10 BILLION DOLLARS
    Trump, the great business mogul, would have far more money today than he does now had he just taken his inheritance and put it in index funds.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Members thankful for this post (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec View Post
    The man is as shallow as a puddle of mud. No ideological depth whatsoever. His standard responses to questions about complicated issues are:
    "I will figure this out once I'm in office, you can trust me because I'm rich and succesful"
    "I have a brilliant strategy, I just keep it to myself to prevent the other candidates from claiming it as theirs"
    "Did I mention I'm rich?"

His winning strategy has been to act like an even greater asshole than he is in real life (I'm guessing, but who knows?). A smart strategy actually, because he's certainly not going to defeat other primary contenders with his factual knowledge, debating skills or the dignity of his persona.

There are plenty of people who don't know shit and who say crass stuff all the time. Not all bad people, necesarily. But Trump is not an idiot, even though it's easy to think of him that way. It's plain as water that he's never going to defeat whoever the Democrats nominate and he should know better than to turn a presidential race into a Reality TV show with his stupid bullshit.
    You still don't understand what Trump is trying to do, which is fine because the carnival act is very distracting. If you look at his YouTube channel he was clearly exploring a presidential campaign back for the 2012 election cycle. Here is an interesting video from his channel with only 50,000 views. Trump is all about image, he is a very smart individual despite what people want to think. He knows the image he gives off, and it is clear from the video that he believes the time wasn't right back then to enter the race. But why? Well, Obama was an incumbent and a quick glance at recent history suggests that Americans are clearly willing to give a President another 4 years, even with mediocre results as long as the other party doesn't stumble upon someone who is a lot more charismatic (see Clinton v. Bush Sr.). One month after he posted the linked video, his official twitter turns from soft advertising for Celebrity Apprentice and golf courses, into the amazing vomit of Trumpisms we know today. For someone who just posted a video about how he would rather "take the NBC money and run" rather than enter politics, it seems odd to suddenly kick out the social media intern and start posting political opinions all day.

I personally think he was waiting out the remaining establishment Republicans to fail in their efforts to stop Obama. His main reasons for not running in 2012 are to point out the failures of the Republican Party which seems odd, considering he identifies as a Republican. Why would you run if you already thought your party was doing a great job? Romney was clearly the next in line, even by that point in the political race and I believe that Trump sensed a better opportunity for the next cycle after another loss by an establishment Republican.

Of course though, Trump is not going to win. And I doubt he ever thought he could win. But, the key difference is now without an incumbent and with the Republican Party leadership in tatters after Romney's loss (remember that not only did he lose, he lost by an unexpected 5 million votes), Trump is using this opportunity to cement himself as a political figure with the end goal of being someone who makes decisions behind the scenes and perhaps has a stronger say in the RNC. It's why he is so eager to pull out the independent campaign, it's why the establishment hates him so much. The whole point is to hold this election hostage and force himself into the party whether the current Republican leadership likes it or not. It's why Rick Scott said in his concession speech that the only way to defeat Trump is for everyone but the "real" contenders to drop out and show deference to the establishment. The party leadership really needed to put their foot down when choosing the next candidate months ago. Instead they left it to the primary system and now they must deal with the reality that the next election cycle is going to be determined by the individual who can easily court the most polarized and radical of Republican voters.

...By building a wall? I mean I dont remember him promising a 50 foot high concrete monstrosity, if he just uses chain links and barbed wire like hungary has done it'll be reasonably achievable, expecially as a third of teh border allready has walls thanks to Bush.
    He promised a 15 billion $ wall which Mexico will pay. I would really like to see how that works out.

Xiahou 

You still don't understand what Trump is trying to do, which is fine because the carnival act is very distracting. If you look at his YouTube channel he was clearly exploring a presidential campaign back for the 2012 election cycle. Here is an interesting video from his channel with only 50,000 views. Trump is all about image, he is a very smart individual despite what people want to think. He knows the image he gives off, and it is clear from the video that he believes the time wasn't right back then to enter the race. But why? Well, Obama was an incumbent and a quick glance at recent history suggests that Americans are clearly willing to give a President another 4 years, even with mediocre results as long as the other party doesn't stumble upon someone who is a lot more charismatic (see Clinton v. Bush Sr.). One month after he posted the linked video, his official twitter turns from soft advertising for Celebrity Apprentice and golf courses, into the amazing vomit of Trumpisms we know today. For someone who just posted a video about how he would rather "take the NBC money and run" rather than enter politics, it seems odd to suddenly kick out the social media intern and start posting political opinions all day.

I personally think he was waiting out the remaining establishment Republicans to fail in their efforts to stop Obama. His main reasons for not running in 2012 are to point out the failures of the Republican Party which seems odd, considering he identifies as a Republican. Why would you run if you already thought your party was doing a great job? Romney was clearly the next in line, even by that point in the political race and I believe that Trump sensed a better opportunity for the next cycle after another loss by an establishment Republican.

Of course though, Trump is not going to win. And I doubt he ever thought he could win. But, the key difference is now without an incumbent and with the Republican Party leadership in tatters after Romney's loss (remember that not only did he lose, he lost by an unexpected 5 million votes), Trump is using this opportunity to cement himself as a political figure with the end goal of being someone who makes decisions behind the scenes and perhaps has a stronger say in the RNC. It's why he is so eager to pull out the independent campaign, it's why the establishment hates him so much. The whole point is to hold this election hostage and force himself into the party whether the current Republican leadership likes it or not. It's why Rick Scott said in his concession speech that the only way to defeat Trump is for everyone but the "real" contenders to drop out and show deference to the establishment. The party leadership really needed to put their foot down when choosing the next candidate months ago. Instead they left it to the primary system and now they must deal with the reality that the next election cycle is going to be determined by the individual who can easily court the most polarized and radical of Republican voters.
    I don't see how he can gain power at the top of the party regardless of any outcome over the next year (short of becoming President). Also, the bolded bit is very confused and may need to be reworded.
    Vitiate Man.

Blog Entries

...You need to leave the internet on weekends and head to the pub.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast