Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XCOM 2

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Re: XCOM 2

Free reload works just fine, but I'd much preffer it to be an activatable ability instead of "first two reloads are free" since if I don't pay attention I end up using up free reloads in non-combat turns.

Free reload is only ever useful on snipers though since now in XCOM 2 reloading no longer ends your turn, so you can reload and shoot in the same turn, unless you need both actions to shoot (like in the case of snipers).
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Free reload is nice on heavies they burn through ammo.

Free reload and armory works. Just had to scroll to find the modified weapons.

My mistake with the free reload was not accounting for the skills (suppression for instance) ripping through ammo.
    Last edited by Papewaio; 02-11-2016 at 01:45.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

Enjoy the game, really do.
    Why Aliens can have reinforcement always near the exit zone, and why can't WE have reinforcement?
    Then, when BIG thing bathing in acid is around 50 cm from the shot-gun, how on EARTH my Ranger (Col. Irene "Claymore" Ryan) miss?

And I wish to have a little more intelligence from the resistance about the location of the Aliens/Collabo, that why why have eyes on the grounds for the Bing Bang' sake...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

The turn by turn aberration does cause some issues.

The enemy isn't just standing their ready to suck on your shotgun. They are moving (fast)...
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

In the chopper...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2016-02-25 15.59.54.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	17666
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

MY two almost maxed out snipers got left behind on a VIP abuction mission, they were a few squares away from the extraction zone. I deleted that L/I save and started a new one.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Mission accomplished... Waiting for X-com 3 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    MY two almost maxed out snipers got left behind on a VIP abuction mission, they were a few squares away from the extraction zone. I deleted that L/I save and started a new one.
    Err you just missed out on some of the more fun VIP rescue missions.

MIA soldiers can be later be saved as special VIP missions. I also have a habit of snipers missing out on extraction by a square or two. Then on a VIP rescue mission I was wondering why the VIP had a call sign of Eagle Eyes... One of me lost snipers came back.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought it was more the fun on missing out on the point of ironman. Things are meant to go wrong, and then it is the fun in the challenge of building back up.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Speaking of things going wrong, I rather liked the mission where you get taken down by a UFO, the mission that follows was quite tense, probably my favorite mission of the game along with the finale which is really tense only because there are so many enemies you have to defeat, to me at least, the UFO grounding mission felt more naturally designed to be tense and worked better.

Really enjoyed that one.

By the way, the comments from the French or assimilate (as I put some Canadian or African in it - in French) characters are really funny and spot on. For once, someone took attention...
    Last edited by Brenus; 03-07-2016 at 07:42.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    Speaking of things going wrong, I rather liked the mission where you get taken down by a UFO, the mission that follows was quite tense, probably my favorite mission of the game along with the finale which is really tense only because there are so many enemies you have to defeat, to me at least, the UFO grounding mission felt more naturally designed to be tense and worked better.

Really enjoyed that one.
    That was my post #26, was a scary mission!
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Yeah, funny thing about that one, I made the mistake of also jacking a commander for the first time, so I got the good fortune of introducing a codex into the mix along with the endless waves of troops dropping in. Couple that with the timer once you destroy the beacon and you've got yourself a hand full, or at least I did.

In order to get everyone out alive I sacrificed a rookie, basically acting as a flesh and blood mimic beacon, haha. Thanks to him everyone else got back to the ship.

Brilliant little mission.

On my next campaign i'm in right now, on one mission in particular, there are simply too many troops coming coupled with sectapod and a couple of those tank things that die and then come back to life, all of this is popping up while I have 8 turns to get past them all, it's just not viable, so I'm likely going to see how flexible the mission design is in conjunction with the occasional mission failure, if this game is designed properly it should still be possible to win while loosing troops occasionally and the occasional mission failure. If everything must go flawlessly I'd consider that a game design flaw. I don't usually pay much attention to the timer whining in the forums, but every once in awhile, got to admit, I agree it's a bit much when coupled with what in my view is too many enemies. There's simply not enough time.

You have to kill them by small amount at each time, and be careful not to alert the others. 1st tour to know where they are, 2nd kill them all in first ambush. Then carry on with 2nd team. Indeed. I think we should have more time, at least to know where the patrols are... Scout should be scouting, with kind of free tour...
    The most frustrating mission is the one you have to protect a device, and even if you are on the spot, you just can't because the Bl**** machine is in fire you can't control... And this is the kind of thing I will reload and go for another mission, because there is no way to do it.
    The ship going down I did it twice, one with all turrets and fully trained and equipped team, and was good, not too much a threat. The second one, all were nearly newbies, no turret, and half of my team were injured. Took the device out with 3 snipers, and sacrifice one newbie to cover the others' retreat...
    Last edited by Brenus; 03-08-2016 at 08:11.

Name:	20160409235736_1.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	17899

just for the fun of it

Nice outfit, now to see how long she stays alive.

Name:	20160416202255_1.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	17903

She did, with few changes in fashion

Love that gun but I've found the blade hit or miss and really not of much use by mid/late-campaign. To make it so I'd use it and develop that side of the abilities I'd need it to do more damage than that weapon you have pictured, and for the most part it doesn't. I've even upgraded the blade to the best option and opted for blademaster and bladestorm, still not worth it. So I've opted for rangers that are stealth, they're just more useful that way for me. And untouchable is very useful, put them in a well placed position stealthed and give them a critical kill shot and next enemy turn they're a free mimic beacon that can't be harmed.

Or to sum up, one side of the abilities choices in my book for rangers needs some tweaking, I don't find many hard choices there, just ignore all of them related to the blade, not I assume what Firaxis had in mind.

Agree. The blade is a big disappointment. It would be better it the use of it was coming with a free turn... Because when it misses, you are left just naked near a enemy which turn is coming....

Exactly, it really needs a buff in my opinion. That's what post patches are for. It's not like firaxis doesn't I would assume have the steam data to show which development path each class is seeing the most of by players. Just look at it and see where the two choices you've provided didn't turn out balanced.

Sniper class for me is the same way, gunslinger in my view is usually the better choice.

It would be interesting to hear if that's not proven out by actual data.

DLC coming out later this month, time for me to jump back in and re-take earth!

Looks like my steam account is loading up the new dlc

https://steamcommunity.com/app/26850...0797995899442/

Is it worth to download? Critics are not great on Steam...

To be honest, I read so much about it jacking the balance of the game I've not even fired it up, I'm waiting for the next DLC that adds a class to the mix before I start another campaign (in the hopes Firaxis will also take the feedback about the ruler DLC and tweak it a bit when releasing the next DLC).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12