Thread: The Great War Series

Default The Great War Series

The Great War is the First World War (1914-1918).

It also is an excellent Youtube channel which commemorates the one hundred years anniversary, by regularly uploading historical videos about happened that particular week, 100 years ago.
    They also have a weekly special episode concerning a particular historical figure or some background facts about the Great War.

Personally, I consider his work as an almost impeccable example of how historical documentaries should be created and an entire thread dedicated to a Youtube channel might seem a bit excessive, but, in my opinion, they rightfully deserve our respect, for their historical research, organisation and fascinating presentation.

This Weeks video:

Special Episode:

Weeks videos:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Historical Figures:

Frequently Asked Questions:

Specials:

Last edited by Crandar; 10-09-2015 at 10:12.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: The Great War Series

It truly is an amazing series, they even posted one of my photos on their facebook page from my trip to Ypres after I sent it to them.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Blog Entries

Welp, there goes my free time for the next few weeks.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

New week, new episodes, old rascals!

Thursday's video is mainly preocuppied with the german conquest of the lithuanian capital and the controversial intentions of Herr Lundedorff, who might have preceded his later years' idol:

Meanhwile, the special episode concerned the naval warfare of the Great War. Rather informative, but I hope that this was not the end, as I think that every major nation's navy deserves its own video.

OP has been edited accordingly.

Hmm, I do notice a certain lack of interest, but this week's episodes were somewhat special, as my homeland, Eastern Rumelia has been mentioned for the first time.

In the special episode, a brief summary of the Bulgarian policy is given. Very accurate, indeed, but he omitted to say that one of the Allies' offers was the incorporation of Eastern Macedonia (the Prefecture of Drama and her surrounding townlets) to Bulgaria, as the Greek prime-minister Eleutherius (his name means freedom) Venizelus had agreed to that.
    It was a horrible act of betrayal, on behalf of the political leader, who ironically enough is considered as a great leader by most Greeks, pretty much because he prevailed over the King, Constantine I.

The Ottoman Imperial Elementary School of Doxato (a village near Drama), after the atrocities commited by the retreating Bulgarian Army:

The 8th of October's episode concerns the background of the incoming siege of Kut and the successful offensive against Serbia. The dispute between the King and the Prime-minister of Greece is also mentioned. It is going to end rather badly, with the creation of two statelets, that of Selanik, after a coup d'etat by Eleutherius Venizelus. and the official government of Athenes.
    After an unsuccessful attack by the French Fleet in November 1916, the King will be forced to resign, under the pressure of the French cruisers, in favour of his second son, Alexander, as his firstborn, George, refused to accept the throne.
    Still, they both became Kings of Greece a bit later.

The arch-bishop of Athenes anathematizes the prime-minister.

Wow, thank you for this Crandar. Ive got so much on my too watch plate but this took first place already. I love WW1 History and I think I'ma have a grand time with this.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.