Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charlemagne DLC

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default Re: New DLC leaked.

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    It's not a bug, it's intended.

This unit is supposed to be terrible at charging and at fighting against infantry, but excellent at fighting against cavalry.

CA is overdoing it, trying to complicate the rock-scissor-paper tactic. Cavalry was divided into light and heavy, not into light, shock, heavy or anti-cavalry.
    I dissagree somewhat - in that there definately was a distinction between shock cavalry and melee cavalry. it's just that the shock cav in Attila seem to use their lances - stat wise - rather than their swords in melee
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

So far, only couple hours of play time, but I'm liking it so far. I enjoy the time period of course that helps immensely. But this so far is turning out just as I expected, another DLC campaign that's more fun than the GC, just like my experiences w/ R2.

Anyway, once I get further along in the campaign I'll come back and say more. Having fun w/ it.

Throwing stones from afar Member Cazbol's Avatar

I've played quite a bit and I love it. One thing that really made me cheer, right at faction selection, was the discovery that they've gone back to making sensible victory conditions. Gone are the obsessive compulsive lists of random things. Instead we have victory conditions depending on imperium and region controlled. I love it.

The campaign also plays well and I like the medieval art style for unit cards and building.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

The positive reactions to the DLC is making it very hard not to get it.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    The positive reactions to the DLC is making it very hard not to get it.
    I'm finding it fairly easy - I just load up CKII and look at their map.

The fact that the campaign plays well in the beginning is hardly surprising, the Attila engine is robust and the starting situation should be well fleshed out.

See what people are saying in a month though when they've played a Denmark unable to invade Norway or "wiped out" whatever passes for the ERE in the campaign.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Played a couple more hours today, still really having a blast. Caught in engagements in both the sound and north of the kingdom and doing a pretty lousy job so far of hanging on to provinces. Lost two in the last year in the north. I'm finding the travel time feels longer to get places and I'm often finding myself out of position, and those pesky raiding parties are always just out of reach.

Immensely entertaining thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    Played a couple more hours today, still really having a blast. Caught in engagements in both the sound and north of the kingdom and doing a pretty lousy job so far of hanging on to provinces. Lost two in the last year in the north. I'm finding the travel time feels longer to get places and I'm often finding myself out of position, and those pesky raiding parties are always just out of reach.

It sounds like you're playing the Franks, like I am. Is that the case?

Travel times do feel very long. I have recently 'gotten involved' in the European mainland and sometimes moving armies about is painful but not necessarily in a bad way :P

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cazbol View Post
    I've played quite a bit and I love it. One thing that really made me cheer, right at faction selection, was the discovery that they've gone back to making sensible victory conditions. Gone are the obsessive compulsive lists of random things. Instead we have victory conditions depending on imperium and region controlled. I love it.

The campaign also plays well and I like the medieval art style for unit cards and building.
    The only thing is: that imperium jumps up very fast and even without doing much. I'm playing as Cordoba on very hard and I am at maximum imperium within a couple decades from starting the campaign. The only thing that keeps me from getting the highest level of winning conditions is the region count.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazbol View Post
    It sounds like you're playing the Franks, like I am. Is that the case?
    Yep, figured I might as well start with the guy the DLC is named after, haha. I've been having a time of it being attacked from two fronts, lost some provinces in the north, had to pull together a proper army to handle and I'm in the process of getting them back. Not sure what I'll do next, I could continue to expand north and build a better scaled empire, I told Pope I'd come remove the Lombards but I've gotten so detained with this business in the north I don't think I'll make the deadline, guess I'll find out how much that pisses off the Pope, haha. Sooner or later I'll also need to reunite the Kingdom...

I'm enjoying this one a lot in other words. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4 View Post
    Travel times do feel very long. I have recently 'gotten involved' in the European mainland and sometimes moving armies about is painful but not necessarily in a bad way :P
    Yeah, as my generals get stars I'm using some of them to put in some points into how far they can travel on strategic map, that's helping. I think somehow despite the fact that it's slower that it feels still kind of right, and I enjoy seeing all the activity on the map, makes the place feel more alive, exactly the reason I prefer DLCs because they're smaller and more focused.

I'm not totally in sync yet on the politics, I've had some guys nearly go rogue on me and I'm not sure exactly how to handle the balance on power or how to increase it, have to sort that, rather like that it's in play here once again though, something else to handle that increases immersion, had my best general show up on a pop up warning me he was about to rebel when he hit one, had to fix that but quick.
    Last edited by easytarget; 12-16-2015 at 02:04.

One further comment from my hour or so with the game tonight, I like the little design touch in the research section where the choices are faded before they are researched and become vibrantly colorful like stain glass when you've researched them, I appreciate small things like that a great deal.

Yeah, as my generals get stars I'm using some of them to put in some points into how far they can travel on strategic map, that's helping. I think somehow despite the fact that it's slower that it feels still kind of right, and I enjoy seeing all the activity on the map, makes the place feel more alive, exactly the reason I prefer DLCs because they're smaller and more focused.

I'm not totally in sync yet on the politics, I've had some guys nearly go rogue on me and I'm not sure exactly how to handle the balance on power or how to increase it, have to sort that, rather like that it's in play here once again though, something else to handle that increases immersion, had my best general show up on a pop up warning me he was about to rebel when he hit one, had to fix that but quick.
    I don't like the way the skill trees work but I haven't liked them since they came up with them :p It all feels kind of forced and the gathering of good and bad traits is kind of arbitrary.

Agree on the traits, the skill tree I'm fine with.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

I don't like the way the skill trees work but I haven't liked them since they came up with them :p It all feels kind of forced and the gathering of good and bad traits is kind of arbitrary.
    Which traits you speaking of as arbitrary? They seem rather consistent to me now. Not that I like them or that they'd make intuitive sense.

As a general principle: entering a settlement with an army while the settlement has negative PO is a bad idea as it has a high chance of giving your general the "unfavored trait" (which has 2 more levels with progressively worsening effects). Entering a settlement with +100% PO is a great idea (in the game terms though) as it is likely (about 1 in 10 chance) to give your general the "favored" trait which has nice effects. Go figure...

Governing a province what has 100% PO is considered a bad style (even if it is the richest province of your with loads of construction going on) as your governor is likely to become a "procrastinator" and getting worse from there. If you managed to pull the governor out the turn he gets the "procrastinator" trait and send him into a battle the next turn, he is very likely to lose the negative trait though.

As to the leader: never use hostages as replenishment or kill hostages (with any of your armies). Always ransom them. This ensures that the leader does not become "harsh".

I just finished a short campaign as Charlemagne, interestingly I suppose I could still continue on for additional victories off the last save given that it's now a question primarily of imperium (although I suppose there is also a province count on the next two).

Anyway, I enjoyed it immensely. Just love the time frame and the region, thinking about going in again as Westphalia or Kingdom of Mercia perhaps once I knock out some other indie games awaiting my attention (Renowned Explorers being the one I started today someone gifted me, quite a smart little game).

So, the recent tradition at least for my tastes of enjoying the DLCs more than the GC continues, and I'm just fine with that.
    Last edited by easytarget; 12-21-2015 at 23:35.

I'm curious, what came out of that papal mission against the Lombards?

It was fairly early in the campaign when that one landed in my lap and I was tied up in the north with only 30 turns to complete it, I can't recall if the mission was just to engage them in war or wipe them out, but either way it didn't matter as they were a long ways off with at least one or two Kingdoms/Duchies/what have you between me and them.

As a result of not abiding by it I got a serious diplomacy hit from the Pope, but since it didn't result in excommunication I didn't much care. If however it had been excommunication I would probably have taken far more notice of it because at the time I was playing nice with my brother anticipating he would eventually drop dead, at which point we'd start things up in earnest with uniting the kingdom, if I'd been excommunicated I'm pretty sure we'd of ended up immediately at war.

I asked about the papal mission because when I accepted it, all hell broke loose. I immediately found myself at war with the Lombards, who ploughed through my brother's kingdom to get to me. The Lombards were joined by minor allies, who also met with immediate success against Carloman. My brother's kingdom is on the verge of a collapse and I'm stretched to my limits trying to turn the tide. The excellence of this campaign continues.
    Last edited by Cazbol; 12-23-2015 at 01:47.

Oh, that's interesting, I sort of rather like that scripted event even more then. I actually was ok if I'd been excommunicated, I would have considered it harsh since it was merely a request to go after the Lombards, but then I could see the case being made a request from the Pope at this time was not really a request so much as an order that had to be obeyed. That's kind of cool they plowed through the brother's kingdom because it saves you the trouble of waiting for him to die (well, don't suppose you actually have to wait, but I did because I was busy up north). I'm glad I waited on him dying too, it gave me like four options, I forget them all, but I took the pay off those who wanted to unite the Kingdom under me and for 8k i was given 2/3's of his Kingdom and the rest stayed military alliance. No muss, no fuss. Pretty cool.

I like what you've got going on though as well, because it's probably fairly tense, what you've got going on is why I sort of just sat tight at the outset and fought minor wars folks in the North and North-East. I still had some in the south and southwest who were taking provinces from me as well, made for an interesting two front war, not something I tend to want happen in a TW campaign, but here it was more or less inevitable.

I've liked this one quite a lot. Btw, on several occasions, no doubt due to my own incompetence, I nearly had generals and/or governors rebel on me, and my power was so low I often looked to be about to have the whole thing go off a cliff and I took serious penalties for it pretty much the entire campaign. Fortunately I fixed up the provinces well enough that they generated more than enough money for me to grease the wheels whenever needed. I still don't think I've got the hang of this family tree business, but I do love it's there to fiddle with, gives me something else that pulls me into the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    The only thing is: that imperium jumps up very fast and even without doing much. I'm playing as Cordoba on very hard and I am at maximum imperium within a couple decades from starting the campaign. The only thing that keeps me from getting the highest level of winning conditions is the region count.
    How do you deal with the corruption penalty?

I recently went to fight a war against number 1 on the strength ranking (I was number 2) and took over a bunch of their regions and hoooooleee shit, I had to literally stop all of my armies and disband half of them and use the rest as garrison forces to stop myself from going bankrupt from corruption. This happened in the space of 8 turns from a situation where I was getting 5k/turn on very low tax setting.

Now I am at -2k on very high taxes =x

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    Which traits you speaking of as arbitrary? They seem rather consistent to me now. Not that I like them or that they'd make intuitive sense.

As a general principle: entering a settlement with an army while the settlement has negative PO is a bad idea as it has a high chance of giving your general the "unfavored trait" (which has 2 more levels with progressively worsening effects). Entering a settlement with +100% PO is a great idea (in the game terms though) as it is likely (about 1 in 10 chance) to give your general the "favored" trait which has nice effects. Go figure...

Governing a province what has 100% PO is considered a bad style (even if it is the richest province of your with loads of construction going on) as your governor is likely to become a "procrastinator" and getting worse from there. If you managed to pull the governor out the turn he gets the "procrastinator" trait and send him into a battle the next turn, he is very likely to lose the negative trait though.

As to the leader: never use hostages as replenishment or kill hostages (with any of your armies). Always ransom them. This ensures that the leader does not become "harsh".
    Whaa, so all the things I am doing automatically are terrible! :D

There comes a point when you have so many generals and people to worry about and cities and armies that you just stop caring, especially because you don't really need that many good generals. As long as the governors don't end up with traits that reduce the money making potential of a province, I don't care.
    As soon as they do, they earn themselves a first class, air delivery to 'somewhere on the frontline' :D

On that note, has anyone seen the family tree break yet?

Invisible family members, family members that are treated as 'other nobles' (which I can even understand if they're totally unrelated bastards, though wasn't the idea of a family tree to give you all the related characters at a glance?) and perhaps the most annoying thing: Duplicate family members.
    Every now and then, a family member will show up twice in the family tree and this seems to happen if you somehow manage to marry a woman and a man from your family. You then get two branches, one for the woman and one for the man (although this does not happen all the time).

Also: In my current Kingdom of Mercia campaign, I managed to wed my king with one of his sisters (she was an awesome wife and gave him so many influence bonuses that everything that said 'wrong' in me was silenced ;P)
    I did this (unintentionally at first) by marrying the sister off to a king of a different faction and then asking for her back after that king died somehow (open diplomacy, arrange marriage, choose wife, click accept ^^)
    Suddenly, my king was married to his sister and nobody cared :D

Also, Frankish kings seem to be growing really old. This is the third one this campaign who has been over 100 years old: http://images.akamai.steamuserconten...7C96964013F9E/
    Last edited by Sp4; 12-24-2015 at 05:03.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Also, Frankish kings seem to be growing really old. This is the third one this campaign who has been over 100 years old
    Doesn't look to be a day over 45 For gods sake, at least give the man a grey beard Details...details...details...
    High Plains Drifter

and perhaps the most annoying thing: Duplicate family members.
    Every now and then, a family member will show up twice in the family tree and this seems to happen if you somehow manage to marry a woman and a man from your family. You then get two branches, one for the woman and one for the man (although this does not happen all the time).
    You know I've seen the same name show up in other nobles and/or my family and was wondering why that was, I just thought it was CA being lazy in how many names they allocated so once the size of both was large enough names repeated.

You know I've seen the same name show up in other nobles and/or my family and was wondering why that was, I just thought it was CA being lazy in how many names they allocated so once the size of both was large enough names repeated.
    Not the same name (this happens a lot as well but meh) but literally the same character, where if you select one portrait, it selects two at the same time. I'll get a screenshot later. Also merry christmas ^^

Here it is, the 8 characters in the center are the same characaters, twice and I think the reason why this is is because of my previously described case of incest, where the portrait of the son is generated twice, once for the mother, who is originally from my family and the father, who is too.

http://images.akamai.steamuserconten...3365F84D264EE/
    Last edited by Sp4; 12-24-2015 at 14:38.

Oh, that is odd. Guess I've not had that specific instance come up, I thought it was odd enough I've got guys using the same name, which struck me as sloppy and/or lazy.

And Merry Christmas to you too, and the whole gang here at the Org!

Think I might fire up a new AoC campaign myself, I could press on in the current campaign for additional victories, but think it would be more interesting to play a new one as some one else.

I finished a Mercian campaign now. It is probably the simplest of them all, kind of like England in M2, with an easy starting location from which you can pretty much launch conquests anywhere and be relatively safe, even if everything goes south.

My biggest enemy in this campaign was the massive corruption that sets in, once you have a certain number of settlements. I didn't win the campaign by conquest either but just bought military allies, until I "controlled" 110 settlements.
    I had about 60 or so myself and the rest came from 5 different allies and client kingdoms.

I want to do a Danish campaign or maybe a CoC one next or maybe I will just dive in an see if I can do a Carolingian one, although this whole rescuing empires that are about to collapse has never been my thing.

Even though it might be simple, I was thinking about playing them (mercian) next just myself just because I liked the idea of playing the guys closest to being England. I likely won't go for the long campaign win like you did, so corruption won't be a problem, not sure why but lately I just don't have the patience to get to 110 settlements even using alliances to do it. Always got other stuff to play this time of year thanks to steam sales.

VERY INTERESTING find guys! I was just wondering... I've owned all of the Total War titles except the last two (Rome II and Shogun II) because of the lack of tech support and care for ETW and NTW... I would really like to get back into the game though, as I heavily modded ETW and NTW to make it more fun (for my personal use). Now that I've gone back to school to earn my degree in Computer Science with a concentration in Programming, I was curious what program people are using to unpack and mod the files for Attila? I like to mod the units values (mostly their size, damage done, defense, etc at least for Empire and Napoleon), change some textures, even add new units etc... This looks like a great Database GUI... It looks like it is a regular GIDE one would build with C# or VB... May I ask where I could download it so I can start my modding? Thanks!

Sincerely,
    Crown Prince Vladimir

Sorry can't be of much help on the modding front, never done that myself, but hopefully someone who is familiar with it will be along shortly and respond!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast