Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seriously, put yourself into my situation and be of any use.

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Default Re: Seriously, put yourself into my situation and be of any use.

Offer to proof-read his biography, ask him to elaborate on this or that or to go about something a different way (basically, be his editor friend). Might take his mind off the other things and might get him into writing?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    He has been going trough that for years, as I said he is highly intelligent, they can't reach him as he is way to smart to not notice it when someone is playing with his toes. He holds me in high regards but I don't know how to change his mind either. He's a bit like Sartre's Nausea in a way, or every way really, everhthing disgusts him.

edit, come to think of it, he should read that, he could relate to that
    If he is intelligent, then possibly CBT will be helpful as I am guessing the problem from your statement is the negative automatic thoughts. I am not familiar with the Dutch system, but he could possibly get a referral from his GP for access to computer-CBT.

Good therapy is not tricking or placating but challenging the thoughts and the way of thinking. It would require a level of insight and motivation from your friend to see it through. It sounds like his previous issues might result in negative responses to practitioners trying to feel him out and he makes a mind game out of it for his amusement. It can happen a lot, and it usually requires trying to build a therapeutic relationship before attempting to initiate a care plan.

Depending on his presentation, it could be that your friend may benefit more from DBT if the issue is more to do with maladaptive personality traits. This unfortunately can occur in incidences of abuse (which was hinted at) caused by the emotional toll and damage this can cause to a person unseen. That would require more advanced mental health services but I hope this is not needed in his case.

All I can honestly recommend given the situation and circumstances is for you to continue being a good friend to him. A good friend is not a yes man but someone who will support and challenge him when required. You seem to have his high regard and you are probably a protective factor for him. Yes, it can be difficult for you and I hope he recognises this and values you more for it.

If you want to help view the situation with him, there are the 5Ps in understanding risk. In short, these are:
    Presenting - what are the key or lead risk? You mentioned about suicide and his father.
    Predisposing - what led to the risks? So you mentioned abut his personality and possible abuse.
    Precipitating - what triggers the risk? Was it something in particular which made this come up now and 6months ago?
    Perpetuating - what maintains the risk?
    Protecting - what are the persons strengths and supports? This could be you as a friend, this could be his hobbies/interests like the biography.

Being as intelligent as you claim, maybe him having a view of the situation might allow him to review himself and be able to make a better selnse of it all.

However, Fragony, do not or try not to be his therapist, do not go there. Support him but do not take that role. You are his friend first and forth most.
    Last edited by Beskar; 10-09-2015 at 13:39.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Without any intending any lack of apreciation, I know how it works I am a bachelor on psycholigy myself. Not trying to ridicule your efforts they are apreciated

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Without any intending any lack of apreciation, I know how it works I am a bachelor on psycholigy myself. Not trying to ridicule your efforts they are apreciated
    That is no problem. It is usually the things which in hindsight which are simple end up being very effective, so brushing away any therapies, there are still things you could do with your friend with are not as overt, such as encouraging him to think about Risk formulation if there is something he would be willing to approach, so both you and your friend are able to understand the processes involved and work to lessen the risk and expand the protective factors.

For other things, there is mediation/mindfulness. There is Headspace.com but that is on the expensive side (but first 10 sessions are free).

There is nothing much we can do other than signpost to gateway services for them to get involved.
    Last edited by Beskar; 10-09-2015 at 15:06.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Good therapy is not tricking or placating but challenging the thoughts and the way of thinking.
    Hence why one of the neurologists I know commented:

"DBT is like a cult!" :p
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    That is no problem. It is usually the things which in hindsight which are simple end up being very effective, so brushing away any therapies, there are still things you could do with your friend with are not as overt, such as encouraging him to think about Risk formulation if there is something he would be willing to approach, so both you and your friend are able to understand the processes involved and work to lessen the risk and expand the protective factors.

For other things, there is mediation/mindfulness. There is Headspace.com but that is on the expensive side (but first 10 sessions are free).

There is nothing much we can do other than signpost to gateway services for them to get involved.
    and I'm not gojg to do that, I am not to go inform anyone I allready did tnat. It isn't my problem anymore.

It isn't my problem anymore.

So...

then...

why...

why the thread?
    Vitiate Man.

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

I'm still waiting to hear what happened with Frags' friend who wanted to kill the mother of his own child.

Frags' friends do seem like they come right out of a Hitchcock movie

Members thankful for this post (3):

I think I've got it.

Fragony maintains his entire persona - he's done it for over a decade - for the sole purpose of bringing up these "friends" every few years.

So he mentions that he's got a friend, with violent tendencies, who needs help, wants to kill themselves, wants to kill someone they hate (and who Fragony should really have killed himself already) - and then it drops.

So what's going on?

Fragony is setting up a deniability screen. These elaborate scenarios are actually cover for serial killings that he himself is carrying out.

But now that we know, he has to kill us too.
    Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    Fragony is setting up a deniability screen. These elaborate scenarios are actually cover for serial killings that he himself is carrying out.
    You think he is capable of this sort of fixation?
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Lets try to avoid the personal attacks, shall we?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I wouldn't redudicle a very sitiuation such as this myself, but if you have to feel free to do so. I just don't understand you.

I just don't understand you.
    We feel the same way about you, sometimes.
    Last edited by CrossLOPER; 10-12-2015 at 00:13.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

This discussion does not look like it will produce anything more productive.

On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12