Thread: BBC program - the celts; blood iron and sacrifice

Default BBC program - the celts; blood iron and sacrifice

Apologies if for regional restrictions you can't see this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...iver-episode-1

Was an interesting watch, some vacuous puff but some great visuals of jewelry, grave goods and items; also an interesting piece on the size, scale and riches derived from a celtic salt mine and some great topographical shots of a reconstructed oppida

Some interesting language bits as well; a view I hadn't heard of celtic origin and an interesting weapon trade piece at the end

Members thankful for this post (3):

Like the Parthian Boot Member Elmetiacos's Avatar

Default Re: BBC program - the celts; blood iron and sacrifice

That'd be "Atlantic Celtic theory" - basically nationalist history since everyone who believes in it is either in Britain or Portugal. The inscription shown towards the end is very much open to interpretation with the view that it's Celtic very much a minority one and in any case the writing is not "Phoenician".
    'you owe it to that famous chick general whose name starts with a B'
    OILAM TREBOPALA INDI PORCOM LAEBO INDI INTAM PECINAM ELMETIACUI

Members thankful for this post (2):

There was much wrong with the programme ; "a shared culture"....define culture, for a start. A shared language?....what Koch said is absolutely right; the test for a language's 'Celticness' is whether it appears to match with 'exisitant Celtic' languages, which is a presupposition in itself. The sense of nationalism was highlighted by Oliver's remark about "my own Celticness"

Enjoyed the programme for the depiction of Hueneurg and for some of the archaeological finds...but I'm appalled that the general gist of this narrative is still being perpetrated in the 21st century as history.

Agree about the way of presenting, not sure who of the two presenters won the battle to flick back their hair the most, probably the male presenter, always take the value of the history included with a large slab of rock salt, but thought the visuals were interesting

Member thankful for this post:

I love the way they describe the 'celts' as being not as barbarian as the Romans would have us believe...and then depict them wrapped in animal skins; "Gone are the long haired Celtic warriors, tamed...etc." errrmm....you made them long-haired you prats.

And "modern, civilised" Rome, who would have been appalled at the sacrifical practices... Yep, because crucifying miles of slaves along the Appian Way is so much more civilised.

But yes, the brief glimpses of artefacts gives it a little bit of kudos.

One more point....that wasn't a torc, it was a neck-piece, and ....is it just me that sees 'Scythian' references in that neck-piece and the fibula?

This may be a more balanced and educational resource...may try and visit int he next week or so

http://blog.britishmuseum.org/2015/1...ere-the-celts/