Thread: Best Factions to play as for a beginner.

Default Best Factions to play as for a beginner.

Honestly, you'll probably find something like this on the internet everywhere, but I thought I could personalize it a bit to get a better response. Personally I'm one for the more 'civilized' factions; I have Greek states and Black Sea DLC. The two campaigns I've actually started have been Pergamon and Macedon, and these were pretty good. Pergamon I have so far captured almost all of modern day turkey and some of thracia. But anyways, I am looking to do a Nomadic campaign, so suggestions for the best faction of that would be appreciated. Also any campaigns that are good fun would be great.
    Thanks.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Best Factions to play as for a beginner.

EDIT: I should have read the OP better.

I would have to say Pontus I is a good start for your taste, or even the Seleucids, who I think are a great blend of Greek and nomadic units. Or maybe even Bactria.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 10-21-2015 at 21:46.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Best starting faction as something to move into barbarian factions would be Pontus. They have a pretty easy go of it early game where they are and tons of potential to form a large empire before facing off with some of the harder factions.

Odrysian or Tylis have some amazing shock infantry. Thracian warriors just tear stuff to shreds. Only downside is you start pretty close to the Greeks and relatively close to romans and the horse tribes.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

I had an absolute blast with Parthia. Their play style is much like the Nomad Factions in that you (well at least I) use fix and fudge (for lack of a better word ;) ) tactics.

Use a small infantry core to fix the opponents and then destroy them with shock cav and horse archers. It is literally the easiest tactic ever. Horse archers require micro though so as a warning don't approach this unless you have some dexterity.

Placement lets you go south and southeast to take out Selucid and all its little baby puppets which I found way to easy.
    If living is nothing dieing is nothing then nothing is everything and everything is nothing

Member thankful for this post:

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinnedCan View Post
    Honestly, you'll probably find something like this on the internet everywhere, but I thought I could personalize it a bit to get a better response. Personally I'm one for the more 'civilized' factions; I have Greek states and Black Sea DLC. The two campaigns I've actually started have been Pergamon and Macedon, and these were pretty good. Pergamon I have so far captured almost all of modern day turkey and some of thracia. But anyways, I am looking to do a Nomadic campaign, so suggestions for the best faction of that would be appreciated. Also any campaigns that are good fun would be great.
    Thanks.
    If your question pertains to the nomadic factions only I'd add that those are probably much harder than any other faction types for a beginner. Nomads rely almost exclusively on horse archers and once you're out of the starting area, you'll be facing heavily armored Greek type spear troops. Arrows wont do much to those. So, you'll have to be quite creative. That or rely on mercenary infantry.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veho Nex View Post
    Odrysian or Tylis have some amazing shock infantry. Thracian warriors just tear stuff to shreds. Only downside is you start pretty close to the Greeks and relatively close to romans and the horse tribes.
    For a beginner? I would have to disagree. You are right next to all the Greek states and they tend to concentrate on you. Its a really tenuous position. Yeah they have some amazing shock infantry but for a new player it might not be the best idea, especially if they are not used to using shock infantry.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Thanks for all help on this. Sorry for not being able to reply earlier; Ive been tangled up with schoolwork. Again thanks for all help and will probably go on with a Parthia campaign.