Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest News on Warhammer

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Default Latest News on Warhammer

Default Re: Latest News on Warhammer

Disc-Locked-Content: Chaos Warriors, undoubtedly the second most important faction in the game. Eagerly waiting for the excuses of CA and her self-acclaimed protectors of the official fora.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

As someone on Reddit said, releasing a Warhammer game that you have to pay extra to play as the Chaos is like releasing a Star Wars game where you have to pay extra to play as the Jedi. Its complete madness for them to do this, I cannot say I approve. Maybe if the pre-order faction was one of the more minor ones that would be one thing, but for Chaos? An obvious ploy to get people to pre-order it. And considering how badly people were burned with the Rome 2 fiasco, I wonder if people will trust them enough to give it another go.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

They made it chaos for that very reason, to force players to pre-purchase, there's no mistake about this strategy whatsoever.

I don't recall what the last couple of TW's have gone for as I've elected of late not to buy them till they are 50% off, so chime in here if I'm mistaken, but weren't these things going for an initial asking price of $49.99? Cause this one is listed at $59.99 in steam.

Yes, the game is indeed rather expensive. Rome II was 29.99£, while this is 49.99£. Quite a significant increase. Well, it was pretty obvious that CA intended to milk it as much as possible, it's up to the consumer if such business practices will be encouraged or not.

Concerning the pre-order DLC, in the two previous games, CA acted very cleverly, using factions that were very popular, perhaps the most popular, but they weren't necessarily worthy of being playable, because of their minor role in the game's time-frame. But in this case... Chaos is not Sparta of the Hellenistic Era.

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    They made it chaos for that very reason, to force players to pre-purchase, there's no mistake about this strategy whatsoever.

I don't recall what the last couple of TW's have gone for as I've elected of late not to buy them till they are 50% off, so chime in here if I'm mistaken, but weren't these things going for an initial asking price of $49.99? Cause this one is listed at $59.99 in steam.
    There was an across the board retail price increase a while ago. For all video games, plus there is a licensing to consider. And that a lot of Rome 2 pricing was knock off 10 for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    As someone on Reddit said, releasing a Warhammer game that you have to pay extra to play as the Chaos is like releasing a Star Wars game where you have to pay extra to play as the Jedi. Its complete madness for them to do this, I cannot say I approve. Maybe if the pre-order faction was one of the more minor ones that would be one thing, but for Chaos? An obvious ploy to get people to pre-order it. And considering how badly people were burned with the Rome 2 fiasco, I wonder if people will trust them enough to give it another go.
    You know that in Warhammer is divided into have a current army book and miniatures (major factions) and don't (minor factions). With a helping of these guys don't exist anymore, stop asking for them. And since games workshop will not give CA total freedom, minor factions are a no go. GW is VERY controlling of their license.
    Last edited by lars573; 10-25-2015 at 15:54.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    There was an across the board retail price increase a while ago. For all video games, plus there is a licensing to consider. And that a lot of Rome 2 pricing was knock off 10 for a bit.

You know that in Warhammer is divided into have a current army book and miniatures (major factions) and don't (minor factions). With a helping of these guys don't exist anymore, stop asking for them. And since games workshop will not give CA total freedom, minor factions are a no go. GW is VERY controlling of their license.
    Well, this is based on Warhammer Fantasy Battle - not Age of Sigmar - so there are a lot of potential fringe factions knocking around.

As far as DLC whoring goes Bretonnia seems like a good fit. However, as you noted, some factions have little love and Bretonnia's neglect means it has a significant lacks of unit diversity in addition to lots of dumb Lore.

Once again I am given to wonder why CA signed themselves over to Sega, a company that doesn't understand CA's core market with Total War and has mostly made bad decision over the years with regard to the TW IP - this DLC whoring included.

Ref Hoah's comment - this is like a Star Wars RTS without being able to play the Empire - very one-sided.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Warhammer without Chaos is just Warcraft. What's the point?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Member thankful for this post:

I never got the reason behind the factions they chose for release:

Imperium? Sure!
    Orcs? Whaaagghhhh!
    Dwarves? Definetly!
    Vampire Counts? Who? What? Where is Chaos?

And now that DLC comes out of the woodwork.
    If you wanted to defend them, you could say that pre ordering only gets you the first DLC (expansion) for free, once it is ready. So nobody will have Chaos on the 28th of April and the pre order folks have the advantage of getting it for free once it's redy. But as I said above and others have already mentioned: Wahrammer without Chaos is just ridiculous! If they had gone with Vampire Counts for DLC it would have been another matter, but this just reeks after money grabbin.

Also most games start at 59,99€ these days, used to be 49,99€ Those were the pre order prices, but on amazon it would usualls come out at 30€ for the 49,99€ games. Not sure what happens with the 59,99€ games. Haven't bought one of those on release day yet.
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

A response from CA on the pre-order DLC controversy.

I might not agree with their decision but at least they are trying to be honest and upfront about it.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Nice to hear their side on the matter.
    The decision for the original lineup still baffles me. I remember now that my initial reaction was that the second or third installment will focus on Chaos then, which makes the inclusion in the first game even more confusing. At least now we know what they were thinking and why Chaos was not intended to be playable in the first installment. If anything this had made me less interested in the DLC to be honest, but it also helped to let me focus on the Warhammer game coming out.

I'll be following the next round of Let's Plays and reviews with a lot of interest.

Personally, I have already pre ordered the game and whilst I was a little disappointed in the dlc decision it didn't bother me too much, but after reading that I fully understand their point of view and even if it was the vampire counts (who are my least favourite race) I still would have pre ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    A response from CA on the pre-order DLC controversy.

I might not agree with their decision but at least they are trying to be honest and upfront about it.
    Anytime you have to post that many words to attempt to explain how you are positioning your product it doesn't matter one iota what you said (and I certainly didn't bother to read it), because you've utterly failed already.

It never ceases to amuse me witnessing the stockholm syndrome at work w/ CA DLC apologists buying into their business model costs explanations.
    Last edited by easytarget; 11-07-2015 at 15:23. Reason: added last sentence after reading the usual attempts to apologize for CA DLC behavior in the main forum thread

Member thankful for this post:

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Anytime you have to post that many words to attempt to explain how you are positioning your product it doesn't matter one iota what you said (and I certainly didn't bother to read it), because you've utterly failed already.

It never ceases to amuse me witnessing the stockholm syndrome at work w/ CA DLC apologists buying into their business model costs explanations.
    Well, you should read it.

Overall, there is an argument for the way they've done things - but the problem appears to be in the ay they have conceived of the whole game.

One of the most depressing things was bit where they said there was so much more Lore in Warhammer that they could only make four playable factions because of the depth and the number of units.

Fact is, about 1/3 of the units in Attila are just poorly researched or based on outdated sources, what it comes down to is that the nerds will bitch a hell of a lot more than about the Empire heaving the wrong feathers in their hats than all the historically minded players will about all the Roman units wearing fantasy leather armour.

On a more Warhammer-centric note, everybody knows that a lot of the units in the big factions are junk for point cost and one would assume a lot of that will carry over into Total War, so why not cut out 25% of everybody's more unusual units and stick that in a DLC instead of Chaos?

The way they have it sounds like you're going to rock around the map and then, as things are goign well, Chaos will pop up and pee in the Sandpit.

News Flash CA: that wasn't fun with Attila, it won't be fun here.

This whole "end boss" thing they have going is really frustrating, if it's anything like Attila it will be the same identical stacks with some ridiculous kill-all unit that you have to contend with that ultimately leads the player to just mob the AI.

Bored - looks Like Total War: Warhammer has been struck by the Total War curse - Good game - junk game.

Funny how the junk games are getting worse and worse...
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Yeah it's so just them too. Go look at any other big strategy game. Dawn of war 2, 4 factions in the box any others are DLC. Company of heroes 2, 2 armies in the box 3 more are DLC (@$13 a pop). micro or min transactions DLC is how any game business works these days. Make your peace with it.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Thumbs up Re: Latest News on Warhammer

Universalizing a bad idea is also a bad idea.

The defense that everyone is doing it is weak sauce. If you want to jump in as an apologist for a bad business model, give it a bit more effort.

As for dealing with it, I've no trouble there at all, so don't worry yourself, I wait till TW games are at least 50% if not 75% off before buying them, at which point typically the DLC is either on sale as well or already rolled in.

"I don't think this is true. I think the nature of our games means our players are intelligent and rational thinkers, and if we share with them the problems that we face, maybe they can help guide us to the solution that brings maximum happiness to the most players."

Ha, hahahahahahahaha. HA! Gamers thinking rationally and intelligent? What a farce. We're the biggest bunch of circlejerkers around when it comes to our fandoms.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Overview of the Greenskins campaign map. The game looks beautiful and its so tempting to pre-order it but I think I will keep holding off...

Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

It does look very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Ituralde View Post
    It does look very nice!
    It looks nicer than nice!

Appearances can be deceiving, I've played an endless river of "nice" looking games that sucked.

To the extent I can bring myself to even visit the main forum these days due to the redesign, there are two threads that caught my eye, both are on the topic of whether you as the player can conquer the map as you see fit. I for one will be interested in hearing an answer to this question, because if they've made it scripted to the extent different races cannot go everywhere on the map that would be a significant design change from the historical works that preceded it. And I find the justification bandied about of lore not supporting it laughable, as if history justified half of what CA has done for 15 years previous in their games.

Not much discussion about Warhammer here, is anyone picking this up at launch?

I am, I already preordered it a fair few months ago and I'm really hyped to be honest. I am a little cheesed about the chaos warriors dlc even though it doesn't really affect me as I was always going to preorder. I just feel sorry for those who want to play chaos but don't want to preorder. All this being said my biggest personal grief is that I can't buy the grudge bearer edition that comes with all of the other stuff because they don't stock it in eb games in Australia and I don't want to lose my deposit by trying to buy it overseas. Anyways it looks good and I'm really looking forwards to taking the dwarves for a spin. I just can't wait for them to release beastmen, that is if they do.

Cool, nice to hear someone here is picking it up, look forward to hearing your impressions of it.

Sounds good.

I remember somebody (a friend?) showing me that video earlier, looks nice.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Chaos Warriors will now be free to all purchasers for one week after release.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

I know right, how good is it? Not that it matters cos I preordered anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzle-G View Post
    I know right, how good is it? Not that it matters cos I preordered anyways.
    So did I.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    So did I.
    Nice :D Good luck and may the dice gods smile ever in your favour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast