Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Diplomacy

The Red Titled Forum Administrator Beskar's Avatar

Default Re: Diplomacy

Spring 1901

Europe - The great powers are posed for war. The advent of industrialisation has brought many new weapons changing the face of war as it was known in the past. Each of the major powers vie for the opportunity to expand and growth, maybe one day, dominating the face of Europe as we know it.

Send your orders via Private message to Beskar by this time:

Diplomacy Crash Course:

Game phases:
    There are two movement phases in the year, Spring and Autumn.
    Before each move, orders for all of a player's units are written in secret and submitted to the arbitrator (Beskar), who then makes all necessary adjustments to the board/map.
    After Autumn and before next years Spring begins, armies are recruited or disbanded based on the normal of supply centres held by that faction.
    Provinces switch faction when they are held at the end of the year.

Orders:
    The orders you can give are as followes.
    Move/Attack - You can order an army or fleet to move/attack to another province.
    Support - You can order your unit to support another unit in defence or attack.
    Convoy - When using ships, you can use the ships action and your armies action, to move your army across to the other side of a chain of ships.
    Hold (Default) - You stay in position.

How to send Orders:
    Typically, you have to send orders in a clear format which is easy for me to understand. If I am not able to understand your orders, the unit will Hold. Same for any units which you didn't send any orders for.
    For example:
    Fleet : Brest -> England Channel.
    Army: Paris to Support Fleet Brest.
    Army: Picardie convoy via English Channel, Example2, Example3 to Wales.
    Army: Belgium holds.

You can use abbreviations, such as A for Army, F for Fleet. There is an official list of abbreviations for provinces featured in the manual in the opening post and in the pictures and full-name variants in the map in the opening post.
    Also, you can support units of other factions. So France could support an English Army.

Victory
    The winner is the one who controls 18 supply centres by the end of a year.
    Supply centre is a province with a circle on it.

Here is a powerpoint slide on some of the basics as well.

If you have any questions, feel free to reply to them in thread. Link in opening post has list of full rules if you got to wade through the details.

Last edited by Beskar; 10-25-2015 at 15:42.
    "What makes something right or wrong?" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." # | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs." RG

chaos chaos chaos Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Space Rescue Champion, Graveyard Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, Rally 2100 Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Ninja Turtles 1 Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar

A Message of Greetings and Welcome from the Sublime Porte

The Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Sublime Porte should we really be writing this? I mean, we're just his interns. Yes, we work for the Ministry. We represent his views. No Minister actually spends his time writing these things, besides. would like to extend his warmest regards to all other Great Powers in this new century. He hopes that the coming years will be fruitful and prosperous for all. Even the powers not invited to this conference? No, they don't count.

The Minister would also submit that "prosperous" goes hand-in-hand with "peaceful". Strike that last bit out, we don't presume to be smarter than the other powers.

The Minister wishes it to be known that he and the Sultan both crave in the strongest possible measures a general peace over the Continent. Better. This will allow us to produce art and culture of the most spectacular variety and result in a more enlightened populace, which ties nicely in with the enlightened times we find ourselves living in. Plus, the Sultan hates the sound of artillery fire. Not common knowledge! Delete.

As a result of this, the Sublime Porte is calling for a diplomatic resolution to the current unsettlement in the Balkans. With potentially four factions, counting Italy, having claims in the area and in a position to exert their influence, things could get rather messy fast and we would mean to prevent such sound and fury over a piece of land that's far more trouble than it's worth.

Do you think that last paragraph was laying it on too thick? I went through three revisions before settling on this version. It's nice, simple, and neutral. Everybody wants some discussion to appear good, and plus people should welcome the chance to publicly state their claims. It's fine for the most part. I struck the last bit about the Balkans not being worth it though. Don't editorialize.

But it's true!

Of course it's true, but there's a protocol to these things. Don't you have any background in foreign affairs at all?

Not really, my father's a vizier and gave me this position to get me out of the house.

Allah...

We welcome all declarations and claims from parties and are eager to begin productive discussions.

A good ending. Make sure you write a fresh copy before you send this out, the Minister has a habit of automatically sending things on without reading th-
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Members thankful for this post (6):

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Tontie Champion Csargo's Avatar

I, Minister Csargo, on behalf of my sovereign Emperor and Autocrat of All the Russians is most pleased to be among the dignitaries of the Great Powers of Europe. My Csar, By the Grace of God, Emperor and Autocrat of All the Russians, is in agreement with the Sultan and Foreign Minister in regards to the Balkan area. We hope that a diplomatic solution can be reached between the Powers involved and can avoid unnecessary conflict. I am open to private and public resolutions in regards to this matter.

Any other matters should be directed towards myself if they involve the Russian Empire.

Minister Csargo
    Beep Boop

Tribunus Plebis Member Gaius Scribonius Curio's Avatar

The Minister of Foreign Affairs and the King of Italy, Umberto I, by grace of God, King of Italy, King of Sardinia, Cyprus and Jerusalem, agree with the submissions of the Sultan and Csar. A peaceful solution to the Balkan question is to be much hoped for. We welcome and await any dialogue with interested parties with respect to this matter.
    Nihil nobis metuendum est, praeter metum ipsum. - Caesar
    We have not to fear anything, except fear itself.

Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram
    perque domos Ditis vacuas et inania regna:
    quale per incertam lunam sub luce maligna
    est iter in silvis, ubi caelum condidit umbra
    Iuppiter, et rebus nox abstulit atra colorem.
    - Vergil

chaos chaos chaos Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Space Rescue Champion, Graveyard Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, Rally 2100 Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Ninja Turtles 1 Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar

The Porte is delighted to hear of the positive reception towards a potential Balkan Conference so far. However, it is skeptical of Italy's intentions of peace when the recently-issued official communiqué stated that His Majesty Umberto I has sovereignty over not just the traditional territories of Italy and Sardinia, but also of Cyprus and Jerusalem. It would be a forgivable and somewhat amusing offense if the aforementioned territories had gained independence, or if they were in the hands of a power not invited to this conference, but since both Cyprus and Jerusalem are in the loving embrace of the bureaucracy local governors Sultan, the Porte is naturally on alert.

Should I mention that we only technically have de jure control over Cyprus and that the British have really been running it since 1878?

No! Never deliberately mention anything that would weaken our position!

We of course eagerly anticipate Italy's response to correct what was surely a harmless misunderstanding and, upon conclusion of the matter, we look forward to beginning negotiations.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 10-25-2015 at 20:53.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Of course we are mortified at this faux pas and beg the Sultan's indulgence and forgiveness.

(You know how it is with these interns...)

The reference to the titular kingdoms of Cyprus and Jerusalem is, unhesitatingly and immediately, withdrawn.

OOC: I was under the impression that this was actually the official title of the King of Italy into the 1940s? I'll admit an unfamiliarity with this period of history though.

- Vergil

OOC: It very well might be, but that's not going to stop the Ottomans from complaining about it.

Member thankful for this post:

Greetings from the German Empire,

With the Octoberfest upon us. We support peace in Balkans as there are many rather more pressing issues at hand, like Beer and Sauerkraut as of now.

German Chancellor
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

I, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Franz Joseph I, Emperor of Austria and King of Hungary and Croatia, wishes to deliver our ruler's opinion on the Balkan matter. "I see four contenders and four rewards, I am sure it is possible to reach a peaceful solution between our great nations. I want to declare, however, that the Serbs will be has been a thorn in Austria's side and that we want to deal with them ourselves"

Random picture from the Face-to-face i played on Saturday.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." # | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs." RG

Csargo 

The French Minister makes his appearance.

"Où se trouvent les toilettes?"

Vote: Zack

I FOUND THE FRENCHMAN GUYS

Members thankful for this post (4):

syö minun šortsit Member Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Duck Tracker Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion

Arrr, we be takin' over! *slashes at Zack*
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Can we use purple or something for Russia? The white is hard to see.

Unfortunately the program I am using doesn't seem to allow me to pick colours, or I would have done.
    Last edited by Beskar; 10-26-2015 at 18:51.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Tontie Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Can we use purple or something for Russia? The white is hard to see.
    Camouflage.
    Beep Boop

An Announcement from the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
    with the consent of the Governments of Germany and Austria

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrol Accord
    In the interests of engendering peace in our time, the monarchs and governments of the Germany Reich, the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the Kingdom of Italy have reached an accord by which the region of Tyrol is forthwith to remain demilitarised. The assembled governments hope that this may be the first step in a peaceful era of mutual recognition and co-operation. The signatories urge the other Great Powers of Europe to observe closely and ensure all parties keep most closely to the spirit of the agreement.

- Vergil

4 Orders are in, but you got 24 hours to go.

If 48 ends up being too long for future rounds, let me know in here and we can decide together to drop it to 24 or so.

I would actually request an extension on this round as I feel like I wasted a full day figuring out the rules.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Your orders are fine Greyblades. What is important for you is next turn.

No one has sent in orders which make no sense, except one person who instantly changed them 2 mins later without a prompt.

I have already processed the orders, but if you want to do changes, send them quickly otherwise the next phase starts exactly at 22:00.
    Last edited by Beskar; 10-27-2015 at 20:23.

Autumn 1901

Send your orders via Private message to Beskar by this time:

Results for Spring, 1901

Austria:
    Austria: Army Budapest -> Serbia
    Austria: Fleet Trieste -> Albania
    Austria: Army Vienna -> Budapest

England:
    England: Fleet Edinburgh -> Norwegian Sea
    England: Army Liverpool -> Edinburgh
    England: Fleet London -> North Sea

France:
    France: Fleet Brest -> Mid-Atlantic Ocean
    France: Army Marseilles -> Spain
    France: Army Paris -> Burgundy

Germany:
    Germany: Army Berlin -> Kiel
    Germany: Fleet Kiel -> Holland
    Germany: Army Munich -> Ruhr

Italy:
    Italy: Fleet Naples -> Ionian Sea
    Italy: Army Rome -> Naples
    Italy: Army Venice Holds

Russia:
    Russia: Army Moscow -> Ukraine
    Russia: Fleet Sevastopol -> Black Sea
    Bounced with Ankara (1 against 1).
    Russia: Fleet St. Petersburg (South Coast) -> Gulf of Bothnia
    Russia: Army Warsaw -> Galicia

Turkey:
    Turkey: Fleet Ankara -> Black Sea
    Bounced with Sevastopol (1 against 1).
    Turkey: Army Constantinople -> Bulgaria
    Turkey: Army Smyrna -> Constantinople

Members thankful for this post (3):

hola señors

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Sublime Porte wishes to announce that it does not have designs on Greece at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Sublime Porte wishes to announce that it does not have designs on Greece at this time.
    France also does not have any plans to seize Greece at present.

Senior Member Senior Member Othello Champion Montmorency's Avatar

So I see everyone is taking their time against the Eleutheroi.

For example, Paris is claiming Burgundy and, uh - Spain?

On one hand, France gets Portugal and Spain easy, but on the other hand, given seasonal transit times it will take a couple years to get that army back in position against the other powers.

America is coming to conquer you all, but it will probably take at least a decade to cross all those sea provinces.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    On one hand, France gets Portugal and Spain easy, but on the other hand, given seasonal transit times it will take a couple years to get that army back in position against the other powers.
    That's the good thing about being surrounded, every province is a frontline.

A couple have spoken to me about strategy and I will simply say this. The name of the game is Diplomacy. Without it, your best laid plans will fail and your worst ideas can be super effective.

Bah, I just throw men at all my problems...
    Beep Boop

I have all orders bar one. I could poke that player easy enough to get the last.

Are people preferring me to make it 24 hourly?

For the record, it's me. I've been busy, will reply to a few PMs and get them out before the deadline.

Also would prefer sticking to 48 hours, though the winter phases could go 24.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast