Thread: MTW on windows 8.1

Default MTW on windows 8.1

My old computer died so I got a new one. The old one had XP and I could play MTW. The new one has Windows 8.1 64 bit (whatever it means) and MTW doesn't seem to agree with it. It starts but after the initial videos are through there is a CTD. On the advice of a colleague I dawdled with compatibility and ran the game trying all the options (XP, Windows 98, Vista and all modifications) that were on the list but it didn't change anything. Is there any chance I can still play it? I would be grateful for any tip that will take into consideration my lame skills of working with computers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: MTW on windows 8.1

As far as I know, the Steam version is the only one that works on 8.1 (and I think that's broken for Win 10, not sure though).
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

People who have OS W8 (any kind).... The MTW-options are basically...

• Buy and start using Steam™ MTW-version (for better or worse)...
    • Buy and install W7 32/64bit (preferably on discs, and then play MTW again - without Steam - using unofficial fixes or mods for better performance (or get used to typical repeated/regular crashes). Resolution max 1600x1200. Assuming there are no hardware problems, GFX primarily).
    • Quit playing MTW permanently (any version)...

- A

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    As far as I know, the Steam version is the only one that works on 8.1 (and I think that's broken for Win 10, not sure though).
    Having almost zero level of computer literacy I would venture to ask what is the Steam version and how one can get it. Remember, that all explanations must be foolproof.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Steam is Valve's content delivery system. http://store.steampowered.com/about/ Tons of games from a wide variety of publishers, some decent deals, not too bad DRM. They got the rights recently to sell MTW/STW (they have had all the other TW games for a while) and patched them to run on Win 8. MTW is currently $10 US on Steam, not sure what the Ukrainian price would be.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Member thankful for this post:

I bought the game and started a campaign (the Northumbrian one). From time to time there happened a CTD (on transition from the campaign map to the battle screen), but when I started the campaign again it went on OK. But now the game is completely stalled since the CTD happens everytime I try to go on with the campaign. I have two files saved that cured this problem when I had the game on XP. One of them is called button _ipnext.BIF, the second button_ipprev.bif. They are supposed to be downloaded into the file campmap/buttons.

My question: can they cure my current game or would they harm it? And if they do harm it, does it mean I will have to buy the game again?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    My question: can they cure my current game or would they harm it? And if they do harm it, does it mean I will have to buy the game again?
    Those files can't harm the game or your saves. Make backup of the old ones and try them. They probably won't make a difference but.. who knows. I've bought my copy of Steam MTW like two weeks ago and I've been testing it till now (mainly with Redux mod). Steam release has a new, rewritten graphic engine which gives you significantly better performance. Especially, late game campaign map with huge amount of units' stacks, agents, castles etc. works a lot faster, smoother. Of course the new engine brings their own bugs. The patch CA released 3 months ago helped some people and broke the game for the others so CA gave us a roll back option. If the latest version crashes for you, try restore a previous version. Here is the thread on the official TW forum.
    Just remember two things: 1. right-clicking can be deadly , 2. Radeon/AMD is still superior to all other video chips manufacturers when trying to play MTW.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Those files can't harm the game or your saves. Make backup of the old ones and try them. They probably won't make a difference but.. who knows.
    Did it but nothing changed.
    The patch CA released 3 months ago helped some people and broke the game for the others so CA gave us a roll back option. If the latest version crashes for you, try restore a previous version. Here is the thread on the official TW forum.
    Followed the link but couldn't find any patch there. Only the information about the release of it. And how dangerous is it to use it (that is if I find one)? I mean if it doesn't work, will it ruin the game completely?

Edit: I have another campaign saved, and it works perfectly fine, but the one I'm speaking about is bogged in 850 and I can't get it any further. On this very year the Welsh with 3 full stacks attacked a province where I was besieging their garrison. Can it be the cause of the trouble?
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 01-10-2016 at 14:02.

Followed the link but couldn't find any patch there. Only the information about the release of it. And how dangerous is it to use it (that is if I find one)? I mean if it doesn't work, will it ruin the game completely?
    When you choose "previous version" from the drop-down list Steam starts downloading the patch immediately and it takes a second or less (depending on your connection). It's a different Medieval_TW.exe (about 5 MB) so you probably didn't notice that something happened. Just try to run the game and check if it helps.

P.S. Check your PMs.
    Last edited by Stazi; 01-11-2016 at 14:46.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

When you choose "previous version" from the drop-down list Steam starts downloading the patch immediately and it takes a second or less (depending on your connection). It's a different Medieval_TW.exe (about 5 MB) so you probably didn't noticed that something happened. Just try to run the game and check if it helps.

P.S. Check your PMs.
    Excuse my stupidity, but I didn't find any dropdown list on the pagesite you linked. Could you, please, specify where it is?

Excuse my stupidity, but I didn't find any dropdown list on the pagesite you linked. Could you, please, specify where it is?
    1. Start the Steam application.
    2. Click "LIBRARY"
    3. Right click on"Medieval Total War - Gold Edition" and choose "Properties".

4. New window will appear which should look like this:

Click "BETAS" tab and from the drop-down list choose "previous version". Download starts immediately so after a few seconds you can start the game and check if it helps.

Did everything according to your tips, but the result is the same - the game crashes. Although, I didn't see any signs that something was downloaded. Perhaps, I should have done something before just closing the final window? Or did I have to enter some Beta version code? And one more thought - if I changed the version, perhaps only next campaign could be run according to it and the current one is beyond repair?

Did everything according to your tips, but the result is the same - the game crashes. Although, I didn't see any signs that something was downloaded. Perhaps, I should have done something before just closing the final window? Or did I have to enter some Beta version code? And one more thought - if I changed the version, perhaps only next campaign could be run according to it and the current one is beyond repair?
    AFAIK Steam downloads a different Medieval_TW.exe which is very small and it's hard to notice the download process because it ends nearly immediately. This file doesn't interfere with saved games so you don't have to start a new game to see changes. Of course it was only an option not guaranteed solution (but still worth trying). To get back to the newest patch just repeat all the steps and choose "NONE".

I've tried the saved game you sent me but it doesn't crash for me. I checked the logs but not even smallest error appear so the problem is probably hardware or driver related. Try update your drivers (video card mainly). If don't know how to do it Driver Booster will help.

AFAIK Steam downloads a different Medieval_TW.exe which is very small and it's hard to notice the download process because it ends nearly immediately. This file doesn't interfere with saved games so you don't have to start a new game to see changes. Of course it was only an option not guaranteed solution (but still worth trying). To get back to the newest patch just repeat all the steps and choose "NONE".

I've tried the saved game you sent me but it doesn't crash for me. I checked the logs but not even smallest error appear so the problem is probably hardware or driver related. Try update your drivers (video card mainly). If don't know how to do it Driver Booster will help.
    Thanks! Sorry for the trouble! As I am not very good (to put it mildly) at solving hardware and software problems, I'll have a geek I know try to fix it for me. If I start doing it on my own I'm afarid I'll spoil something and won't be able to mend it.

I solved the problem!!!
    On the advice from a guy on the Steam forum I changed the resolution of the battle map and campaign map so that they coincided with the resolution of my computer screen and lo and behold - my game works perfectly. Although I will have to get used to things being smaller then they were. But I think this is not that important now when I can enjoy the game.