Thread: : SECDRV.SYS Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of older games.

Default : SECDRV.SYS Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of older games.

Hello comunity
    how you play rome 1 today ? on my Win 10 and win7 i dont can play since this decisision of microsoft is here in the forum some place of help?
    Nom

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: : SECDRV.SYS Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of older games.

High Plains Drifter

Default Re: : SECDRV.SYS Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of older games.

The problem was introduced to Windows 7 by a recent update (KB 3086255). In my case it affects at least Shogun, Medieval, Rome, Medieval II and maybe a bunch of other old games I have not tested yet.

For the moment, I am enabling and disabling secdrv.sys manually as suggested in the opening post of this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=552308

That is a rather inconvenient workaround, so I consider uninstalling the guilty update.

I am wondering:

1) Would the update be automatically reinstalled, so I'd have to keep uninstalling it? (That would defeat the purpose of convenience.)

2) Is the secdrv risk small enough to make it defensible to accept it for the sake of convenience? Or is skipping any security update plainly stupid?

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

Or is skipping any security update plainly stupid?
    The first time (about 7 years ago) that I installed a windows security update and it completely borked my computer, I stopped updating my OS. Never ever had a security issue. I use an antivirus software, run antimalware programs regularly and I'm generally very careful about my web browsing habits (with ad & script blockers, privacy badger & things like this). Then again, just because I'm very paranoid I never run my money around via Windows. I use Linux for that.

Edit: also, from what I understand these issues are with the old cd version. Y not step into the future and use the steam version? Is Gaben the antichrist?
    Last edited by wooly_mammoth; 12-13-2015 at 08:30.

Quote Originally Posted by wooly_mammoth View Post
    The first time (about 7 years ago) that I installed a windows security update and it completely borked my computer, I stopped updating my OS. Never ever had a security issue. I use an antivirus software, run antimalware programs regularly and I'm generally very careful about my web browsing habits (with ad & script blockers, privacy badger & things like this). Then again, just because I'm very paranoid I never run my money around via Windows. I use Linux for that.

Edit: also, from what I understand these issues are with the old cd version. Y not step into the future and use the steam version? Is Gaben the antichrist?
    Not quite, but if I were Cato the Elder, I'd certainly say "ceterum censeo Vaporem esse delendam" :)

Thanks for helping to put things in perspective.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: : SECDRV.SYS Not Loading in Windows 10; this will break thousands of older games.

Quote Originally Posted by wooly_mammoth View Post
    The first time (about 7 years ago) that I installed a windows security update and it completely borked my computer, I stopped updating my OS. Never ever had a security issue.
    While I am not sure this is wise, I admit that all my recent PC troubles have been caused by Windows Update or Kaspersky Anti-Virus. Still, none of these were critical, and better safe than sorry.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!