Thread: The Loire valley problem

Default The Loire valley problem

I have a problem with winning the battle in question (it is the second battle in the Frech historical campaign). The condition of the victory is getting into the castle 100 men more than the defending English have. I have tried throwing in the whole army through one breach, attacking through all five breaches simultaneously, attacking through a couple of breaches one after another, I even managed to kill the English general twice - nothing worked. My army was routed every time. In the past I won a couple of times, but that was somehow accidentally - a part of the French army suddenly decided to leave the castle chasing the routers. So my question is: is there any more or less universal tactics to win the battle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Default Re: The Loire valley problem

I have had lots of trouble with this one too !

Somewhere on this forum it was suggusted ( if I recall correctly ), that the way to win it was to get the appropriate number of troops into the Castle's inner bailey, after drawing any troops there outside. I am unsure if the latter part here means outside of the inner bailey or outside of the castle as a whole. That said, even this is easier said than done...

My best result ( if I recall correctly ), was when I killed the ememy general.

[ I believe you may need to draw the inner bailey troops out ( and engage them ), before you attack it via it's rear, otherwise part of the outer garrison just reinforces the inner bailey. ]

Quote Originally Posted by DEB8 View Post
    I have had lots of trouble with this one too !

Somewhere on this forum it was suggusted ( if I recall correctly ), that the way to win it was to get the appropriate number of troops into the Castle's inner bailey, after drawing any troops there outside. I am unsure if the latter part here means outside of the inner bailey or outside of the castle as a whole. That said, even this is easier said than done...

My best result ( if I recall correctly ), was when I killed the ememy general.

[ I believe you may need to draw the inner bailey troops out ( and engage them ), before you attack it via it's rear, otherwise part of the outer garrison just reinforces the inner bailey. ]
    Once I managed to get as much troops as I could inside the outer castle yard while all the English were packed inside the inner courts. At that moment the battle was over and I was announced the winner. But it was an accidental event. And I can't figure out what makes the English leave the castle because sometimes they chase the routing units, sometimes they don't so I don't know when this bait would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Once I managed to get as much troops as I could inside the outer castle yard while all the English were packed inside the inner courts. At that moment the battle was over and I was announced the winner.
    Interesting. I guess that means "inside the Castle as a whole rather than the inner Bailey, for all victory considerations. Congrats on getting a win here ( it's something I have yet to manage ).

And I can't figure out what makes the English leave the castle because sometimes they chase the routing units, sometimes they don't so I don't know when this bait would work.
    Can't help there I'm afraid. I could not see any consistant logic as to why they went into the inner castle area either...

I did it!!!!! I concentrated all my chivalric knights opposite the wall of the inner castle (where it forms the outer wall at the same time) and breached the wall which is slightly askance of the demi-cannon situated there. I attacked simultaneously by all troops and managed to slaughter the English which were inside the inner courts. My other forces where worsted AND THE ENGLISH CHASED THEM OUTSIDE THE CASTLE leaving only chivalric foot knights in the outer yard. So evidently those of my soldiers that were inside the caste were enough to outnumber them by 100. That was a hard one!

I must try that method too...

[ In retrospect, the answer is so obvious !! ]

Well done

Not sure it will work again, for you or for me if I do it twice. The English's decision to scamper outside is wayward and hard to predict.

I might get it to work the once ( and that's enough to progress ) !!
    Last edited by DEB8; 12-21-2015 at 19:25.