Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mansion II [on hiatus]

Default Re: The Mansion II

I think we need to avoid exposing our most reliable organisers to unnecessary danger. Not to denigrate anyone else's contribution, but things would look rather less hopeful if we were to lose the likes of Monty, Myrddraal and Ironside.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Hughes View Post
    I think we need to avoid exposing our most reliable organisers to unnecessary danger. Not to denigrate anyone else's contribution, but things would look rather less hopeful if we were to lose the likes of Monty, Myrddraal and Ironside.
    Don't worry, you can lower us down by order of expendability.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    The sunroom is walled in with reinforced glass. The room is completely empty. I don't think we'll get anything there, unless it's to observe (and possibly provoke) that anomalous creature we spotted through the glass.
    I was more meaning, the garden seen through there, but perhaps accessed by the back-door or so. Sort of blitzing through the house and drawing out any strange fellows from the shadows. Also, I just realised an alternative use for the bathroom area, we have a key afterall.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Actually, I'd like to know if the key still 'exists' in the game. The writeup noted that we lost the key, perhaps analogous to videogames in which using a key corresponds to both permanent unlocking of the door/gate and the disappearance of the key from the game.

Either way, what do you have in mind? Working from a secure house, maintaining line of sight between exterior exploration and observers in the sunroom?
    Vitiate Man.

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Actually, I'd like to know if the key still 'exists' in the game. The writeup noted that we lost the key, perhaps analogous to videogames in which using a key corresponds to both permanent unlocking of the door/gate and the disappearance of the key from the game.
    Key is gone as stated in the write up short hand.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

I.e. we can't lock the door again?

So what... Something like it jammed in the lock which is now stuck unlocked?

I understand the point about the stairs being a good choke point, but what do actually gain by making big distraction? Unless we attract every single zombie on the ground floor, it won't make a difference for the kitchen team.

On the other hand, it could make things a lot worse! What if we are overwhelmed? What if it 'wakes' zombies in rooms near the kitchen that would otherwise be inactive? What if hoards of zombies, making there way to the disturbance, stumble through the kitchen?

I understand the point about the stairs being a good choke point, but what do actually gain by making big distraction? Unless we attract every single zombie on the ground floor, it won't make a difference for the kitchen team.
    The idea is that if any hostiles are going to be activated, it's better for the recon team that the hostiles have something more salient to orient towards. For example, if the recon team finds that the dumbwaiter leads directly to a kitchen or pantry, and begin to gather items, then we would hope that light, noise, and other hostiles in the Great Room would stimulate them to the point that they ignore or fail to notice a lesser amount of light and noise coming from the recon team's location.

But how about this:

1. Pointman is lowered with the dumbwaiter.
    2. Pointman lights a torch and does a quick check of the immediate surroundings.

3a. One pull on the cord from the pointman indicates that the rest of the team should be lowered. No scary stuff in sight.
    4a. If the dumbwaiter leads to a room with food, then send the rest of the team down and have them collect stuff. No need for the Wild Weasel distraction. If it is not a food room, then quickly scan for weapons or tools before slowly moving along. Someone remains at the dumbwaiter to communicate with the upper floor and signal the return/emergency evac.

3b. Two pulls on the cord indicates that the dumbwaiter leads to a room with food, but there are signs of hostiles. In that case, the pointman covers the torch while the rest of the team comes down and stealthily forms a perimeter.
    4b. Based on the situation on the ground, the team will signal up whether or not they need a distraction to proceed. In this case, it may prove necessary for the team to neutralize some hostiles before they can get to looting, in which case they need the distraction so any nearby hostiles will have something else to investigate.

3c. Three pulls indicates that there may be hostiles in the vicinity, and the dumbwaiter does not come out in a food room. In this situation, there's no point in continuing through the dumbwaiter as opposed to just coming down the stairs in force.
    4c. The pointman puts out the fire or drops the torch somewhere it won't pose a serious fire hazard, and we pull him out of there. Then, the majority of the players come down the stairs, including the gunner, and we prepare to fight our way through to find food.
    Vitiate Man.

Just a thought, but it would be very unusual for a mansion to have a kitchen - or any kind of food store - on the first floor.

Well, all we know is that it is an early-1900s construction (no info on architectural style or region).

I don't know about more modern mansions, but basement food facilities seems more reminiscent of the old, aristocratic eras.
    Vitiate Man.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

But how about this:
    Sounds reasonable. I take it that we'll have an less communicative player as the point man? Even if the game is heavily leaning towards that the room contains food, based on our play and the optimal reasonable play (we're 1 turn behind).

Bleh, I did see a mistake from my side last turn due to misreading and the delayed map. 2 doors to the library from the hall became an unexplored second door.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

I say some of us should continue exploring, let's see if we can climb onto the roof and use the windows as a point of observation, entry, or exit to other rooms and floors -and see what the hell else's happening.

Second, we should also try and kill that thing out on the garden as soon as possible.

Third, someone should start examining all these books in the sunroom. There is a clue there if the right person reads it.
    Dear God, it's worse than we feared. The first of those is clearly the emblem for the London Underground... *shudder*
    So you've read Pratchett's Thud as well, eh? Jolly good.
    Just a thought, but it would be very unusual for a mansion to have a kitchen - or any kind of food store - on the first floor.
    I must concur with my well-read friend.
    Well, all we know is that it is an early-1900s construction (no info on architectural style or region).

I don't know about more modern mansions, but basement food facilities seems more reminiscent of the old, aristocratic eras.
    Early-1900s seems exactly right.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

There are no books in the sunroom. The books I was checking were in the library, and that was only to get a general idea of what topics the owner was interested in... There are far too many books to read in the library I think, and given that we already found the three books with the blank pages, I doubt that there are any more key facts to be extracted from the books until we work out how to reveal the invisible ink.

A sunroom! Daylight, well actually dusk but close enough, streamed through the wall-sized windows. Nothing lie in the room, it was completely empty, but the view was astounding.
    Also, I'm not sure we can get to the roof can we?

I volunteer to go down first. Since the gun will remain up here, we need someone who can defend himself if the first one to come down is attacked. In addition, after insisting on going down the stairs without considering the existence of another passage ( :P ), it became clear that I am not kind of good with plans and so I'm more expendable.

Still, I believe that our mission will be successful and absent of casualties. However, I still think we will have fewer chances to encounter problems if you guys distract the zombies. If one of us is bitten and start to scream in pain, all of us will die down there.

Senior Member Senior Member Jarema's Avatar

I agree for being part of team weasel. Sorry for low imput, but I am preparing big party IRL

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Zain, when mentioning that the floor is complete are you only referring to the number of rooms and hidden paths, or are you also referring to the rooms that had a thorough search? If not, which rooms on this floor haven't been thoroughly searched?

I was thinking that some of the support team could search a room in case we don't need the noisy distraction.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    Zain, when mentioning that the floor is complete are you only referring to the number of rooms and hidden paths, or are you also referring to the rooms that had a thorough search? If not, which rooms on this floor haven't been thoroughly searched?

I was thinking that some of the support team could search a room in case we don't need the noisy distraction.
    That means all rooms have been discovered and I don't have to alter it anymore.

Blog Entries

I think the first symbol represents 'under-ground' or 'earth', as I am familar with those signs during my days at St Andrews Oxford. As such, I believe the eagle and lighting represents the 'heavens' or the 'sky'.

Though I have no idea on the triangle with the corner missing. Perhaps it used to be a toblerone and someone got hungry? I jest, if it is in keeping with alchemical symbols, it should represent fire.
    Last edited by Beskar; 01-14-2016 at 22:24.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So we need water then?
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    So we need water then?
    Using the analogies, the cure symbolism would probably be the "water". However, H2O may not be the cure.

As I said before: Holy Water Cannon.

Do keep up.

Given my inactivity, I'm happy to be point man on team Wild Weasel1
    My game on Civfanatics could use a few more!: MNOTW XVII: The Cursed Blade!

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

As I said before: Holy Water Cannon.

Do keep up.
    Hasn't Antioch technologies been developing one of those?
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

I'm still nervous about the ruckus idea, but happier if the ruckus is triggered by need rather than a default option.

Something to bear in mind - I presume the dumb waiter is not in use... If that is the case, the other stop(s) may be blocked in the same way as the upstairs one was. We may also fund that it has more than one stop, perhaps it goes all the way down to a basement? This could be the case if the house has or had a kitchen 'downstairs'.

If the exit(s) to the dumb waiter are superficially blocked, I would be tempted to make a small opening and try to look through before breaking it down completely.

We may also fund that it has more than one stop, perhaps it goes all the way down to a basement? This could be the case if the house has or had a kitchen 'downstairs'.
    I'll try to factor the possibility into the team orders.

If the exit(s) to the dumb waiter are superficially blocked, I would be tempted to make a small opening and try to look through before breaking it down completely.
    Remember that we have no light source to bring other than whatever torches we can improvise before going into action. I would suggest that taking a lit torch into a dumbwaiter would be a good way to get us all messed up, so we can only produce light once the pointman is out of the dumbwaiter and has space to start the fire. Of course, we could just light a match on its own, but that would be a waste of a match for a few seconds of light. Do we have anything with cutting edges, anything sharp? It's likely that we will need to tear down any obstacles blocking the stops; hopefully there will not be any obstacle like wallpaper or plaster that requires a lot of fuss to remove.

Either way, we need:

1. For the pointman in the dumbwaiter to be given 5 minutes for his eyesight to acclimate to the darkness.
    2. An estimate for the distance between the floor of the second floor and the floor at the bottom of the stairs.

This way we have some precision in lowering the pointman, who will then be able to establish with touch and sight the point at which there is a discrepancy in the wall of the passage (e.g. wallpaper layering, furniture blocking the way).
    Vitiate Man.

Good points.
    @Zain, is the dumb waiter enclosed? I.e. does the food shelf have a roof?

An ide (which depends a little bit on the configuration of the dumb waiter, and might be a bit far fetched):

If the dumb waiter is just a shelf, our point-man rides on the shelf, otherwise he/she rides on the roof instead of in the dumb waiter itself.

This way, we can keep an eye/ear out for him.

Also, it could allow us to use the mirror from the bathroom and the hand mirror to reflect light down the shaft, with our point-man equipped with the hand mirror to use as a kind of torch? (This is probably the far fetched but)

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal View Post
    Good points.
    @Zain, is the dumb waiter enclosed? I.e. does the food shelf have a roof?
    Dumbwaiter is enclosed, like a regular elevator (lift).

No visual is possible once people or items are lowered.

Sorry for the delay, glad i gave extra time for this Discussion Phase, Friday's are generally busy

Hope everyone is doing well, get ready because Orders will be due starting tomorrow night! ~24 hours

Team Sleep: Khaan, GH
    Team Deep Operations: GoldenKnight, Beskar, Montmorency, Ironside (order first-to-last)

[gets bindle, two chair legs, and 2 torches; two matches per torchbearer; each team-member wears heavy clothes]

1. Pointman is lowered with the dumbwaiter X-5 feet, X being the number of feet between the top of the stairs and the floor of the Great Room. Given a few minutes for sight to adjust, the pointman assesses the wall of the passage to find the exit, blocked or not. If it is blocked by wallpaper, rip it down and move out. If it is blocked by furniture, try to push it away and move out. If none of this works, the pointman thumps on the ceiling of the dumbwaiter and the operator lowers him as far as he can to try the step again. If no result, extract pointman and prepare for Hail Mary.
    2. Pointman lights a torch and does a quick check of the immediate surroundings. Entrances, obstacles, and (electric) light sources should be noted first.

[For insertion in the following scenarios: the second scout is lowered with the bindle, and the third is lowered with the second torch]
    [For extraction without food in the following scenarios, whoever returns to the dumbwaiter first is extracted first; if under heavy assault, the rearguard may flee for themselves on foot]

3a. One pull on the cord from the pointman indicates that the rest of the team should be lowered. No scary stuff in sight.
    4a. If the dumbwaiter leads to a room with food, then send the rest of the team down and have them collect stuff. No need for the Wild Weasel distraction. If it is not a food room, then quickly scan for weapons or tools before slowly moving along. Someone remains at the dumbwaiter to communicate with the upper floor and signal the Wild Weasel/extraction/emergency evac.

3b. Two pulls on the cord indicates that the dumbwaiter leads to a room with food, but there are signs of hostiles. In that case, the pointman covers the torch while the rest of the team comes down and stealthily forms a perimeter.
    4b. Based on the situation on the ground, the team will signal up whether or not they need a distraction to proceed. In this case, it may prove necessary for the team to neutralize some hostiles before they can get to looting, meaning they need the distraction so any nearby hostiles will have something else to investigate.

3c. Three pulls indicates that there may be hostiles in the vicinity, and the dumbwaiter does not come out in a food room. In this situation, there's no point in continuing through the dumbwaiter as opposed to just coming down the stairs in force.
    4c. The pointman puts out the fire or drops the torch somewhere it won't pose a serious fire hazard, and we pull him out of there. Then, the majority of the players come down the stairs, including the gunner, and we prepare to fight our way through to find food.

*If we get the best outcome and extract the team with a full load of food, try to repeat the trip given the time remaining (with torches refreshed for relighting, since they should be snuffed before re-entering the dumbwaiter)*
    Team Wild Weasel: Choxorn, Jarema

[gets 2 chair legs]

If the signal is received for a distraction, then the bookshelf is removed from the stairs and they descend to the bottom with their chair legs, speaking loudly and banging around with the chair legs. In general, the idea is to draw hostiles to the top of the stairs (i.e. the rotunda), where they can either be knocked down to the floor below or dispatched by the gunner.
    Team Support/Overwatch: Winston, Greyblades, Bart, Auto, JHT, Myrd, Kemmler

[gets gun and bullets, the broom, and the rest of the chair legs]

1. Form a makeshift bindle out of bedding.
    2. Make two torches with chair legs and 1 pound of cloth (per torch). Soak the cloth before wrapping and tying it tightly around the end of the wood. Squeeze out extra water, then soak the clotbh head lightly with alcohol, then again with lighter fluid. Finally, get a smaller strip of cloth and saturate it with water, wrapping it just under the head of the torch to act as a buffer.
    3. Bring in more bookshelves to act as barricade or deadfall material if needed.
    4. Designated closetman operates and maintains the dumbwaiter for the Deep Ops team.
    5. Prepare to defend the rotunda if Wild Weasel attracts attention.

Hail Mary: As mentioned, if the Deep Operations team needs to be extracted without food, or cannot even properly begin their mission, then the entire community (except sleepers) goes armed and bum-rushes the first floor in search of food.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 01-16-2016 at 14:23.
    Vitiate Man.

I will write this in my orders. Everyone agrees, right?

I think so.

Only thing to note: I suggest that we don't actually apply the alcohol / lighter fluid to the torches unless we think we are shortly going to be in action. We have a limited supply and it evaporates...
    @Zain, presumably the rotunda staircase is something like this (but smaller?)

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal View Post
    @Zain, presumably the rotunda staircase is something like this (but smaller?)
    It is roughly 5 feet wide across each step.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast