Thread: Exciting Campaign

Default Exciting Campaign

Decided to pick back up RTW and I am having a blast! I removed The Senate being a superfaction and began my Julii campaign.

In the year 268BC, after securing the northern part of the peninsula from the two Gallic cities, the Senate stabbed me in the back and laid siege to my Capitol. This naturally put me at odds with the Brutii and Scipii. After several engagements in Latium, I occupied Rome and eliminated the Senate by the year 265 BC. Naturally I fortified my position by ringing forts around the northern part of the pennisula. I fought several large scale battles in the north against the Gauls, and in the South against the persistent Brutii. By 260BC I occupied Capua, removing the Scipii from the pennisula.

It is now 249 BC. I have yet to remove the Brutii from Italy, though I have a veteran force in Campainia. Between their constant attacks in the south and the constant attacks north by the Gauls and Dacians, I am finding very little breathing room. This has been almost 20 years of war on the Italian Penisula. If all goes well though I believe I will annex the southern part of Italy within 2 years, effectively unifying the region and allowing me to focus attention elsewhere.

Needless to say this has been an awesome campaign so far. My economy is fairing well, I have a strong enough navy to eliminate any blockades, my legions are all very experienced in battle, generals are all looking good, and I am beginning construction of siege weapons now to speed up capturing settlements. Much funner than the typical "be Rome, conquer, then civil war". Haven't had this much fun as Rome in a long time.

Default Re: Exciting Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Sun_Tzu View Post
    Decided to pick back up RTW and I am having a blast! I removed The Senate being a superfaction and began my Julii campaign.

In the year 268BC, after securing the northern part of the peninsula from the two Gallic cities, the Senate stabbed me in the back and laid siege to my Capitol. This naturally put me at odds with the Brutii and Scipii. After several engagements in Latium, I occupied Rome and eliminated the Senate by the year 265 BC. Naturally I fortified my position by ringing forts around the northern part of the pennisula. I fought several large scale battles in the north against the Gauls, and in the South against the persistent Brutii. By 260BC I occupied Capua, removing the Scipii from the pennisula.

It is now 249 BC. I have yet to remove the Brutii from Italy, though I have a veteran force in Campainia. Between their constant attacks in the south and the constant attacks north by the Gauls and Dacians, I am finding very little breathing room. This has been almost 20 years of war on the Italian Penisula. If all goes well though I believe I will annex the southern part of Italy within 2 years, effectively unifying the region and allowing me to focus attention elsewhere.

Needless to say this has been an awesome campaign so far. My economy is fairing well, I have a strong enough navy to eliminate any blockades, my legions are all very experienced in battle, generals are all looking good, and I am beginning construction of siege weapons now to speed up capturing settlements. Much funner than the typical "be Rome, conquer, then civil war". Haven't had this much fun as Rome in a long time.
    Just out of curiosity, once the Senate faction is kaput, does one still get all the senate wants this/that messages (I assume the Senate is still there just that you now pick the Senators like the Roman Empire)?

Quote Originally Posted by LordK9 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, once the Senate faction is kaput, does one still get all the senate wants this/that messages (I assume the Senate is still there just that you now pick the Senators like the Roman Empire)?
    No you do not get any Senate missions once they are destroyed, nor do you pick Senators as there is no more Senate.

If you remove them as a super faction like I did then you are still allied with them at the start but no missions or elected Senators takes place at all. Also, while you are allied, the alliance can be broken at any time. In my case they declared war on me after 4 turns.

It is the winter of 246 BC. After 20 long years the Italian peninsula is finally unified under the banner of the Julii. The southern half of our Empire is finally secure. All is not peaceful however. Rebel Brigands have been popping up quite often in the past two years. The Gauls, damned Gauls, continue to attack in large numbers from the north. We do not wish to expand in that direction at the moment but it seems that it may be our only option to stop the raids as they are allied with the Britons and Dacians. We have not had any military engagements with the Dacians over the past few years though we see their forces moving around at our borders.

In world news, while we have been busy focusing on our Civil War, other great empires have emerged. The Greeks have destroyed the Macedonians and carved an empire encompassing all of Greece and upwards into Illyria. The Egyptians have reached Asia Minor, they have a 3 way alliance with Pontus and Armenia but we shall see how long that last now that their common enemy, the Seleucids are reduced to only owning Seleucia. The Dacians and Gaulic tribes are the largest and most powerful of the barbarian factions. Carthage, our allies, has not done much to expand lately though they seem to be mobilizing forces in Spain. Speaking of the Spanish, for some odd reason they have landed a army in Scipii controlled Sicily? Strange as they have not expanded at all so far, and they are not at war with the Scipii.

The task at hand now is to secure our northern front, destroy the Scipii by conquering Sicily, and to eliminate the Brutii by conquering their two remaining settlements.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun_Tzu View Post
    It is the winter of 246 BC. After 20 long years the Italian peninsula is finally unified under the banner of the Julii. The southern half of our Empire is finally secure. All is not peaceful however. Rebel Brigands have been popping up quite often in the past two years. The Gauls, damned Gauls, continue to attack in large numbers from the north. We do not wish to expand in that direction at the moment but it seems that it may be our only option to stop the raids as they are allied with the Britons and Dacians. We have not had any military engagements with the Dacians over the past few years though we see their forces moving around at our borders.

In world news, while we have been busy focusing on our Civil War, other great empires have emerged. The Greeks have destroyed the Macedonians and carved an empire encompassing all of Greece and upwards into Illyria. The Egyptians have reached Asia Minor, they have a 3 way alliance with Pontus and Armenia but we shall see how long that last now that their common enemy, the Seleucids are reduced to only owning Seleucia. The Dacians and Gaulic tribes are the largest and most powerful of the barbarian factions. Carthage, our allies, has not done much to expand lately though they seem to be mobilizing forces in Spain. Speaking of the Spanish, for some odd reason they have landed a army in Scipii controlled Sicily? Strange as they have not expanded at all so far, and they are not at war with the Scipii.

The task at hand now is to secure our northern front, destroy the Scipii by conquering Sicily, and to eliminate the Brutii by conquering their two remaining settlements.
    This seems like the way to go - always found that late game forced civil war annoying and it doesn't happen when you are non-Roman. I only defeated the Senate armies early once and it was accidental (and I couldn't remember what that did as per missions). The Juli attacked my Brutti capital, were defeated, and i marched on their capital. While passing Rome, the Rome garrison attacked me, were wiped out, and, suddenly, I owned Rome. Go figure! :)