Thread: Senate Missions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Senate Missions

Is there any order to the Senate Missions?

I've found if I develop Julii along the western side of Italy the missions are different from those in a campaign when I concentrate on the Eastern side. Is it random?
    A single leaf falls,
    then suddenly another,
    stolen by the breeze

RANSETSU (1654-1707)

Default Re: Senate Missions

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Furze View Post
    Is there any order to the Senate Missions?

I've found if I develop Julii along the western side of Italy the missions are different from those in a campaign when I concentrate on the Eastern side. Is it random?
    I don't know but I hope your observation pans out. It would sure help. Most of the time the Senate requests seem rather ---- odd.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Random. You can afford to ignore some of them early in the game...just don't make them consecutive. Port blockades against my biggest trading partner, capturing X settlement when I'm not near ready or fully committed elsewhere are two I regularly ignore...at least temporarily. Only once have I ever incurred SPQR wrath. The Senate docked me 250,000 denarii for not securing Pontus as a Protectorate during a Brutii campaign. I didn't have a diplomat with enough influence to make the deal without incurring really stupid conditions (like giving up several provinces).

The money loss hurt for awhile, but I solved the problem with Pontus by wiping them out

.....and I made sure Rome was the first Roman city to fall when civil war finally came
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 01-09-2016 at 15:09.
    High Plains Drifter

the angry, angry elephantid Member wooly_mammoth's Avatar

I always completely ignored the Senate beyond the first mission for the Julii & Scipii (for the Brutii it makes no sense to go for that dirthole on the dalmatian coast, it's best to sail straight for Sparta). With me they never went past threats. At one point they threatened that some pencil pusher would check on my finances, but the guy was from my family so everything turned out clean.

Just ignore senate... if they don't give you a really easy task like blocking a port then u can happily ignore them and continue on your grand plans.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Depending on the difficulty level, you cannot completely ignore the SPQR. I pointed out earlier, that you can get docked a considerable amount of money by ignoring or failing a Senate mission. That said, you can pick and choose which missions to complete, and ignore the rest. Early in the game the added money or army units you get from certain missions can be quite helpful.
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 08-31-2016 at 17:39.
    High Plains Drifter

Ive never been punished by the senate, and the only missions they send me is blockade port and take settlement, nothing interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Ive never been punished by the senate, and the only missions they send me is blockade port and take settlement, nothing interesting.
    They don't punish you until you get too popular, then they will carry through on their threat to investigate you or penalize you or whatever. Unless they threaten to investigate you and the quaestor belongs to your faction, then nothing happens, though they will mention your friends in powerful places. But normally they don't punish you.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare