Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iran sanctions lifted

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Iran sanctions lifted

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    People think Iran is the lesser evil because they don't carry their Islamic fundamentalism into western countries. I care not what they do with their own ethnicities.
    True, glad to be rid of it. Almost all Persian migrants here are really succesfull as well. Persians are different.
    Last edited by Fragony; 02-10-2016 at 07:58.

Migrants have nothing to do with this. There's a shit ton of immigration threads that you can repeatedly bang your heads against the walls in sync with.
    Last edited by AE Bravo; 02-10-2016 at 23:28.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    People think Iran is the lesser evil because they don't carry their Islamic fundamentalism into western countries. I care not what they do with their own ethnicities.
    European Government also see Iran as more likely to secularise because it already has the necessary social conditions and political machinery, just dominated by the clergy. The thinking is that if we open up to the Iranians we reduce the leverage of the more radical clerics and hopefully they will be gradually replaced with more moderate ones. If we continue to include Iran and be respectful (which is not the same as letting them do what they want) then the ultimate hope is that the Clergy will eventually become either benign or irrelevant as the Iranian political establishment doesn't actually need them to function, run elections, form governments etc.

Of course, the US has a less nuanced position - as evidenced by them pointlessly slapping on new sanctions as soon as their sailors were returned.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Member thankful for this post:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=36861619

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/ir...chants-n516406

Progressive. It's becoming increasingly clear that the clerical revolution of the 70s is losing its magic.

In Donetsk People's Republic they march Ukrainian prisoners of war along the streets letting the onlookers kick and hit them - and no one bats an eyelid.

But otherwise Iran is not much better or worse than its Arab neighbors:
    http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SG.GEN.PARL.ZS
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

I think it's laughable that people who come to Iran's defense use that argument when they're not accomplishing much on that end either. Nothing but a mask, still have religious police, and conduct savage state-sponsored protests.

Go progressive Iran.
    Last edited by AE Bravo; 02-15-2016 at 04:06.

Quote Originally Posted by HitWithThe5 View Post
    I think it's laughable that people who come to Iran's defense use that argument when they're not accomplishing much on that end either. Nothing but a mask, still have religious police, and conduct savage state-sponsored protests.

Go progressive Iran.
    I don't defend anyone - I just want to show that neither of the sides is good or bad. Both are real, which presupposes a combination of good and bad sides to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HitWithThe5 View Post

Go progressive Iran.
    I don't think anyone would claim Iran was Progressive really, the point is they appear to be making progress.

The recent theatre is unpleasant but a few years ago the French were referring to the "Anglo-Saxon" bankers as being responsible for the financial crash and that was code for "Anglo-Jewish". A few years before that during the Oil spill from a rig in the Gulf of Mexico Obama suddenly forgot that BP Plc was no longer the State-Sponsored British Petroleum.

The fact that the Iranians are currently stirring up domestic feeling to counter charges of them suddenly becoming an American puppet are entirely expected.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12