Thread: Old Stuff, but I didn't find here: unlocking the rest of the kingdoms

Default Old Stuff, but I didn't find here: unlocking the rest of the kingdoms

I'm sure this was covered somewhere here buried deep in the old posts and I've done it with MTW-1 and RTW-1 but even after winning with Spain, I cannot unlock the other kingdoms? Is there a trick with this one?

Default Re: Old Stuff, but I didn't find here: unlocking the rest of the kingdoms

Surely someone must have done this.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Old Stuff, but I didn't find here: unlocking the rest of the kingdoms

It's so long ago that I don't remember it either. Maybe it was a setting in preferences.txt? First-time-player or something? But I could be thinking of R:TW.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

From what I found researching here, it should be the same method as MTW and RTW - win once to unlock it then edit "descr_strat" only, it won't let me like it hasn't been unlocked -says "read only file". I'm working on an idea, though - when I first played, I didn't run as administrator. I then tried to do so mid game and it no longer recognized my campaign and, indeed, they weren't in the save file so I continued on (not as administrator - campaign worked normally) . I had already won as the English and was playing as the French - I could have played as any playable kingdom - all the icons were present when I selected the French - but then, the French campaign just disappeared (I think, somehow, the shortcut got changed to administrator). I then played and won opening as the Spanish. So, now I'm playing as Venice and while saving, noticed that the French campaign had returned - but, I could no longer delete. The French campaign was not in the save folder and it looked like I'd have to replay each of those turns. None of the turns i played yesterday were in the save folder. I found those and the French campaign by (now get this :) ), not using the short cut to open the game (which I believe was opening as administrator). I haven't tried it yet, but I think if I start a new campaign using the "programs 86" area where the Sega file is located and opening the game from within the MTW-II folder that I will be able to play all. Still can't delete, though and haven't found the save folder where the french campaign is located. Actually, I'm stumped. Any idea if there is a separate save folder for administrator vs not administrator?
    Last edited by LordK9; 02-15-2016 at 06:34.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Old Stuff, but I didn't find here: unlocking the rest of the kingdoms

IIRC the more recent versions of Windows didn't allow modding of games installed under "Program Files". Did you install it there, or elsewhere?

I just left it install as set up so it's in:

C:program files (x86)/sega

Not a recent version, however - it's Win7/64

I have verified that I can play any of the kingdoms except for the 4-5 really not playable if I open the game from the Medieval II folder but for some crazy reason, I still can't delete saved games nor do they show up in the save games folder. Apparently I haven't won a game yet playing as administrator. Is it possible that the game uses a different extension for administrator games so the save games will only appear in the save file when opened as administrator when played as administrator?

Now, if I move the sega folder to some new folder, the way to get the game to open is to create a new short cut and change the address in the short cut to match the new folder, correct? I know that is often required with older games using "steam" but never heard of it needing to be done with old disc versions. Worth a try, though.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Old Stuff, but I didn't find here: unlocking the rest of the kingdoms

I think it was Win7 that started the whole "don't install games in Program files if you want to mod them" thing, but I could be wrong. Can't you just uninstall and reinstall the game somewhere else, and use a mod to unlock everything?

I hate to admit this, but you are more likely to get useful help over at the TWcenter.

ETA: we also have an .Org Tech support forum. It's pretty quiet, but searching might turn up something.
    Last edited by Ludens; 02-16-2016 at 20:39.

It got stranger. I was able to finish the Venetian game and started one with HRE. I found I could delete files if I did so twice. Delete once, no go; delete again, gone. All but the ones that appear in the save file - they refuse to be deleted. Bottom line is, it appears I can play the game and all of the unlocked kingdoms and delete old saves (now that te old ones are gone, delete works as it should) as long as I don't play as administrator. I never did get around to changing folder location; I'm not sure I could even test it at this point. Anyway, thanks for the help - I'd still be stuck if you hadn't.