Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The faction you could never handle

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Default Re: The faction you could never handle

Quote Originally Posted by Trapped in Samsara View Post
    Really!? Can you provide a link, please?

Best regards
    V

Sapere aude
    Horace
    Nothing's been confirmed; at this point, all we have are rumors. A month or two ago I read that supposedly the (quite enjoyable) Age of Charlemagne DLC for Attila served as a sort of test-bed/precursor for Medieval III, but that's the extent of my "knowledge".

Personally, I won't believe Med3 is the next TW title in development unless/until it's officially announced by CA/Sega (although it would be very welcome news). Until then, I'm prepared for the next game (after Warhammer) to still be anything.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Glad you replied; I couldn't remember where I read it (although, in that thread, I got the impression that it was in development). I'll look around a bit - I'm even more curious now; had to be here or the official site as they're the only ones possible for me.

EDIT: No luck; I think it was in the Rome section because I remember stating something like, "MTW-III!!? - I haven't even played II yet :) ).
    Last edited by LordK9; 04-13-2016 at 03:50.

I would love to go try some but can't play it anymore miss it.

Hi

I never manged to get anywhere with Aragon in Early. Too small and too many predatory neighbours.

Best regards
    V

Sapere aude
    Horace
    They're one of my favorites. Actually its not so difficult. The English and French will eventually be too busy with themselves to bother with Aragon. So your northern border is pretty secure.

Your choice is Either go after the Spanish or the Almohads. Go after the Spanish is easier as they only have two provinces but, you will hear from the Pope. Excommunication means your Northern flank/eastern coast becomes vulnerable because even the Genoans (I play Viking horde mod ) can invade and make things very complicated.

So you take Navarre, then Valencia and the Almohads. Always take axe troops to bridge battles. So you should have halbs in your mix. Hopefully the Spanish will take Cordoba and help you eradicate the Moors from the peninsula. Another problem is , the Spanish can stab you in the back and invade Aragon, or if you ally with them, you won't be able to attack them to get the rest of the peninsula. Its like a chess match, I stay neutral to them.

Against the Almohads, I use only CMAA's and Halbs. You only need Spears for heavy cavalry and the Moors cavalry isn't really that heavy. Not made for western battles. Usually I end up shoving them back to Morocco and then its a long protracted naval war while I improve my new provinces. Against the Spanish, its CSgts and Halbs. A couple archers for the Jinettes , I don't use too many cavalry, too easy to lose.

Just curious; why can't you attack them if allied? Dog-gone AI did it to me practically every time.

VictorGB Member Trapped in Samsara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AriesLA View Post
    They're one of my favorites. Actually its not so difficult.
    Hmmm... Are you sure you are talking about Aragon in Early? (The troop types you are referencing do not 'fit' with the early game. And my 'problem' with Aragon is surviving and developing satisfactorily during the first five decades or so.)

Also, my Aragon experiences were in vanilla VI. The faction could be faced with a significantly different situation in the mod you play.

Best regards
    V

Sapere aude
    Horace
    Last edited by Trapped in Samsara; 04-18-2016 at 10:08.

Quote Originally Posted by LordK9 View Post
    Just curious; why can't you attack them if allied? Dog-gone AI did it to me practically every time.
    Kind of code of honor. I also try to follow it most of the time. Plus they say your king may lose some of his influence and consequently your generals may become less loyal and more prone to rebel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

I wondered why can't cross their territory instead of going around them.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by AriesLA View Post
    Against the Almohads, I use only CMAA's and Halbs. You only need Spears for heavy cavalry and the Moors cavalry isn't really that heavy. Not made for western battles. Usually I end up shoving them back to Morocco and then its a long protracted naval war while I improve my new provinces. Against the Spanish, its CSgts and Halbs. A couple archers for the Jinettes , I don't use too many cavalry, too easy to lose.
    Except for archers and Jinettes, none of those units are available in the early part of the game...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Kind of code of honor. I also try to follow it most of the time.
    Same here. I typically don't agree to many alliances in MTW (or even strategy games in general, for that matter), but the ones I do, I adhere to pretty steadfastly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Plus they say your king may lose some of his influence and consequently your generals may become less loyal and more prone to rebel.
    This is absolutely correct. Break an alliance, and your faction leader loses Influence.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Ok; actually, I do the same and, in addition, I rarely attack any kingdom but instead wait for the AI to attack me. That really might be a problem with Aragon - France, Spain, and the Alms really like to attack you often two at once.

On a different note - wish the game had Burgundy even if unplayable as they were a big factor in early and the following time span. Savoy would have been nice too (but then, the fakey "Italy" that didn't exist would have to go :) ).

I would say rebels.

That's a sore area with me; they're minor kingdoms, etc and the game treating them as some sort of confederation makes them weak in the wrong places. I think they can be made strong enough to be a real deterrent using their own resources - kind of like Denmark as a PC kingdom.

A ways up, Gilrandir mentioned "influence". That is yet ANOTHER good thing that I don't believe II has. I'll be back; once I play all the factions in II to my satisfaction. I STILL haven't played the rebels in "I" for one thing.

VictorGB Member Trapped in Samsara's Avatar

Hi

I think it's worth bearing in mind that the Rebel 'confederation' acts in unison when it comes to trade. Attack one and you lose all your trade with all the rebel provinces as they boycott you in solidarity. This can be quite a deterrent if your finances are parlous.

Best regards
    V

Saper aude
    Horace

Aren't you at war with them from the get go?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Aren't you at war with them from the get go?
    No, but they are usually the targets of your first expansion (since it's easier and diplomatically less damaging) so it just seems that way.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I'm going to be honest and say that I only played with big empires, particularly the Byzantines, but I did play once as the Welsh in the Viking Invasions expansion pack and it was rather tough.

Also as the Vikings, out of curiosity to see how it is. Those drakkars made things quite nice.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Hi

I think it's worth bearing in mind that the Rebel 'confederation' acts in unison when it comes to trade. Attack one and you lose all your trade with all the rebel provinces as they boycott you in solidarity. This can be quite a deterrent if your finances are parlous.

Best regards
    V

Saper aude
    Horace
    I thought you attacked them first the rebels.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

I've been playing MTW long enough to have taken every faction in every era to victory - though some are much harder than others

In VI, I always play for the 110% victory, and take over the Viking lands as well, by intense use of agents. Getting those two provinces can be almost as much struggle as conquering the whole of Britain, what with rebellions and re-emergences and no connection to your king... but it is fun. It does mean you have to leave one British province unconquered until later so the game doesn't end.

In VI I find the Welsh and Northumbrians hardest, but they are both doable. As others have noted, the Vikings are VERY loyal allies, so the first thing is to get that alliance ASAP, throw every available bishop, emissary or preferably princess at them and hope they get the deal done before the Vikings spot Lindisfarne, or get into the Irish Sea, as appropriate.

In Northumbrian campaigns, you need to keep a big stack in Elmet, and SMALL armies in the outer provinces - I've tested this many times - the AI will more often attack a sizable army than a small one (try it sometime - save a year when your one of the 'outer' provinces is attacked, then reload it and reduce the garrison - no attack....)

By having a big stack in Elmet you can always retreat to stronghold in the outer ones, then counterattack next turn. It takes a while but Elmet has iron, so you can eventually tech up nicely - let's face it, you aren't going to waste time and money building farms there.... though this does mean you'll have to get your cavalry elsewhere.

With the Welsh, it's a touch and go turtle strategy - make nice with the neighbours as long as you can. Unlike the Vikings, the Mercians can't be trusted, but if you can hold out until they and the Saxons go at each other, one or other of them will finally erupt into civil war, and it's your job to seize the opportunity created. The Welsh have iron - lots of it - and good missile options. The alternative is to go for the Irish first, before they come your way.

In the Mediaeval campaign, I think my least favourite is HRE - classic overstretch starting position, surrounded by chancers who like the look of your territory...
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12