Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Converting Civilization3 unit animations

Default Re: Converting Civilization3 unit animations

Quote Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
    HTW Pikemen used for less armoured pikemen and my late invention - double-armed men, so units consisting of both musketeers and pikemen.

Sadly the pikemen had to be defined as mounts because musketeers had to be able to use aim and shoot actions horses do not seem to have.
    So, you abandoned this animation?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

What goes where - the list.

I'll update it when it is done - should be soon. Hard to decide with some, also because I want to leave some space for something just in case.

Platesurcoat - Platesurcoat, PlateS, KHorse - all forms of Polish and Russian infantry and dragoons. Red or blue.
    1 quarter free just in case. Another animation could be easily made using current ones by applying simple changes just like I did with the polish infantry - different head and colours.

Viking - Dervish, Janni, Viking - mobile artilelry, warwagons and field fortifications. 1 quarter free just in case we get another animation for mobile artillery or something different (rockets?).

Bowman - Bowman Only one animation for now. It is supposed to cover all forms of line infantry from later period of the game so space is necessary. 3 entries left.

ChHlBow - ChHlBow, LaKnight, ToplessLoon, Smailcav - several types of cavalry in chainmail or coats + Delis with a lion's fur. Directory closed.

NegInf - NegInf Right now solely for nomads from LOTR, should be the directory where future 'imports' from LOTR will go.

EHorse - EHorse, HlPlArSh, LARMWCAV, - three dragoon animations. This way some animations can be used for cavalry of other factions - with a sword in hand!
    1 entry left just in case.

LgTuCnHi - LgTuCnHi, Huscarle, Custom7, Custom8 - so as suggested. Deals with many musket armed infantry units. Directory closed.

MongCost - MongCost, Custom1, Custom9, EEuroCav - several types of cavalry in blackened armour + others which are using the same entry. Directory closed.

Fullplar - Fullplar, MSHelm, Peasant, NewPeasant - Polish Hussars and several types of cavalry sharing same directories. Directory closed.

MailHCav - MailHCav, Pestucav
    - for muslim infantry with handguns. 2 entries left in case we get suitable animations.

HlPlArHm - HlPlArHm, Custom2, Custom4, Custom5 Various pikemen, halberdiers and musketeers. Directory closed.

@Stazi

Could you review it and see if there are any problems? I left the Iroquis and Skii infantry, as well as some other animations for you to choose directories. Please don't use Custom 0-9 because I want them for new animations.
    Last edited by cegorach; 02-27-2016 at 15:42.

Quote Originally Posted by zweihander View Post
    So, you abandoned this animation?
    Temporarily. I had to make some choices. Now we don't have to.

It will simply go somewhere else. While working on 2.0. I've tested many solutions and ideas. Now I have more (rockets?).

Good work, this list will help a lot. And now we have many, many free directories:2thumbsup:

Which animation you want to adapt from LOTR?

------------------------
    I give it faction colours, looks good ingame:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000038.png 
Views:	616 
Size:	270.1 KB 
ID:	17673  
    Last edited by zweihander; 02-27-2016 at 16:14.

A quick in game test
    Everything is good, except no animations

Edit: It is even better than converted-units because we can adjust the camera angle to suit the MTW engine.
    Could you upload this model somewhere. I'd like to do a few experiments.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Could you upload this model somewhere. I'd like to do a few experiments.
    Find it in this thread, it is called 'The complete LandsKneckt figure'

Good work, this list will help a lot. And now we have many, many free directories
    I've updated the list in the meantime. There are some choices left to Stazi. Mainly old MTW animations, Skii infantry and Iroquis.

Which animation you want to adapt from LOTR?
    The list of ideas was posted couple of days ago.

@cegorach

@Duke John had provided a unit graphic pack and allow modders to use them with credits. (the download link is down but Stazi has re-uploaded it, in the last page)

I suggest to:
    Use the War of the Roses\Textures\CUSTOM0 for the English Trained Band Billman
    Use the War of the Roses\Textures\CUSTOM3 for the Dismounted Knight
    Use the War of the Roses\Textures\CUSTOM7 for various archer/longbow units

Edit:
    You may like to use
    the Various Medieval Unit BIFs\Textures\CUSTOM0 for various archer/longbow units too, just take a look and make your choice.
    Last edited by zweihander; 02-27-2016 at 16:49.

@cegorach

@Duke John had provided a unit graphic pack and allow modders to use them with credits. (the download link is down but Stazi has re-uploaded it, in the last page)

I suggest to:
    Use the War of the Roses\Textures\CUSTOM0 for the English Trained Band Billman
    Use the War of the Roses\Textures\CUSTOM3 for the Dismounted Knight
    Use the War of the Roses\Textures\CUSTOM7(or CUSTOM8) for various archer/longbow units
    Yes, and many PMTW graphics came from his pack. Now simply we have much more space so more can be included.

For now let's convert old PMTW files, learn from the experience and only after that import more of them - remember ALL should be in 1024p files in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
    What goes where - the list.

I'll update it when it is done - should be soon. Hard to decide with some, also because I want to leave some space for something just in case.

Platesurcoat - Platesurcoat, PlateS, KHorse - all forms of Polish and Russian infantry and dragoons. Red or blue.
    1 quarter free just in case. Another animation could be easily made using current ones by applying simple changes just like I did with the polish infantry - different head and colours.

Viking - Dervish, Janni, Viking - mobile artilelry, warwagons and field fortifications. 1 quarter free just in case we get another animation for mobile artillery or something different (rockets?).

Bowman - Bowman Only one animation for now. It is supposed to cover all forms of line infantry from later period of the game so space is necessary. 3 entries left.

ChHlBow - ChHlBow, LaKnight, ToplessLoon, Smailcav - several types of cavalry in chainmail or coats + Delis with a lion's fur. Directory closed.

NegInf - NegInf Right now solely for nomads from LOTR, should be the directory where future 'imports' from LOTR will go.

EHorse - EHorse, HlPlArSh, LARMWCAV, - three dragoon animations. This way some animations can be used for cavalry of other factions - with a sword in hand!
    1 entry left just in case.

LgTuCnHi - LgTuCnHi, Huscarle, Custom7, Custom8 - so as suggested. Deals with many musket armed infantry units. Directory closed.

MongCost - MongCost, Custom1, Custom9, EEuroCav - several types of cavalry in blackened armour + others which are using the same entry. Directory closed.

Fullplar - Fullplar, MSHelm, Peasant, NewPeasant - Polish Hussars and several types of cavalry sharing same directories. Directory closed.

MailHCav - MailHCav, Pestucav
    - for muslim infantry with handguns. 2 entries left in case we get suitable animations.

HlPlArHm - HlPlArHm, Custom2, Custom4, Custom5 Various pikemen, halberdiers and musketeers. Directory closed.

@Stazi

Could you review it and see if there are any problems? I left the Iroquis and Skii infantry, as well as some other animations for you to choose directories. Please don't use Custom 0-9 because I want them for new animations.
    Ok, I'll check and pack them together. Just give me some time.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Ok, I'll check and pack them together. Just give me some time.
    Take as much as you need. The list is meant to organise our efforts so everyone knows what is where.

If you decide what would happen to other files tell me where you are planning to add them.

He know how to run now:

But nothing more, still no proper attack animation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	???-3.png 
Views:	493 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	17674  

I'm pround to provide this! The beautiful Doppelsoldners! I work on it for a whole day and finally make the attack animation by myself!

The unit animation has idle, run and attack animation, no Die. But I notice many unit graphics in PMTW don't have Die animation too, @cegorach how do you deal with them in the Actionpage?

Screenshots:

Please download it and test it ingame and tell me if it has any problem, if there is no other problem I would post it on the Completed Unit Anim thread.

Credits to Kinboat, the original author of the Landsknecht model.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zweihander; 02-28-2016 at 14:18.

Congratulations! They look great, although a little fat. Could you upload it, please? It'd be the best if you upload them as single frames. I'd like to test automatic texture and actionpage generating program.
    Last edited by Stazi; 02-28-2016 at 14:57.

Congratulations! They look great, although a little fat. Could you upload it, please?
    It is in the attachment of my last post, don't you see it?
    Last edited by zweihander; 02-28-2016 at 14:55.

It is in the attachment of my last post, don't you see it?
    Sorry, no idea how I missed it. I edited my previous post but I add it here: It'd be the best if you upload them as single frames. I'd like to test automatic texture and actionpage generating program.

Sorry, no idea how I missed it. I edited my previous post but I add it here: It'd be the best if you upload them as single frames. I'd like to test automatic texture and actionpage generating program.
    Here you are, include the 12 frames in BMP, an actionpage file, a PSD file:
    Last edited by zweihander; 02-29-2016 at 04:45.

Here you are, include the 12 frames in BMP, an actionpage file, a PDF file:
    How do you get single frames for each of animation poses (before you put them into single 512x512 image)? I'd like to get those single poses and try to generate whole 512x512 image.

How do you get single frames for each of animation poses (before you put them into single 512x512 image)? I'd like to get those single poses and try to generate whole 512x512 image.
    I use Fn+Prt Sc to take screenshots from the Poser Rendering window.

The files you need in the attachment:

Edit: the attachment is correct now.

Thanks. One more thing - Could you make sword attack animation (sword cut) a little deeper. I think sword should end horizontally. Now it starts upright and moves maybe like 40-45 degrees and goes back. It doesn't look like a real cut.

I can't believe it. Every screenshot is a little different and pose displaced so you have to manually align them through all 12 frames! It's TONS of very precise work! I'm really impressed.

EDIT

I've just found this: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=191725
    It should make your work easier when all screenies will be taken at exact same position. I hope you can adjust angles to match the MTW system.
    Last edited by Stazi; 02-28-2016 at 17:47.

Thanks. One more thing - Could you make sword attack animation (sword cut) a little deeper. I think sword should end horizontally. Now it starts upright and moves maybe like 40-45 degrees and goes back. It doesn't look like a real cut.
    That is the best I can do. But Balam-Agab, a Civ3 modder has kindly provided his 2-handed sword poses set, I would try it tomorrow to see if it works.

I can't believe it. Every screenshot is a little different and pose displaced so you have to manually align them through all 12 frames! It's TONS of very precise work! I'm really impressed.

EDIT

I've just found this: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=191725
    It should make your work easier when all screenies will be taken at exact same position. I hope you can adjust angles to match the MTW system.
    Yup, that's what I did, just need great patience.

Thanks for the link, but I don't need that template, it is just something for making Civ3 graphics. The camera angle of my Doppelsoldner is already adjusted, 36, 72, 108, 144, perfectly fit the MTW engine.

Member thankful for this post:

Stazi 

That is the best I can do. But Balam-Agab, a Civ3 modder has kindly provided his 2-handed sword poses set, I would try it tomorrow to see if it works.

Yup, that's what I did, just need great patience.

Thanks for the link, but I don't need that template, it is just something for making Civ3 graphics. The camera angle of my Doppelsoldner is already adjusted, 36, 72, 108, 144, perfectly fit the MTW engine.
    Excellent! BTW I've just found some of your models for Civ4. Really nice stuff. If you manage to learn the whole process to add animations and take screenshot in exactly the same position you can do wonders. There are a lot of Renaissance 3d models we could you use and new units can look even better than original ones! I hope you'll write a tutorial too. Damn, I'm so excited!

I'm pround to provide this! The beautiful Doppelsoldners!
    Amazing work! I do mean it because this unit was supposed to get the best treatment just like Winged Hussars did so it is like a dream coming true.

When it is done please add them to the finished animations thread - they can be a trademark animation of 1.6.

@cegorach how do you deal with them in the Actionpage?
    I didn't. I just copied something else e.g. idle or similar.

I considered death as a wasteful luxury to be dealt with in the future.

There are a lot of Renaissance 3d models we could you use and new units can look even better than original ones! I hope you'll write a tutorial too. Damn, I'm so excited!
    Yes, that would be very good, though replacements can wait, first would be the new animations to add variety.

Besides I can bet it won't be easy to find historically accurate replacements for some units esp. in cavalry.

@Stazi please help!

I add new animation to the doppelsoldner unit graphic and put it into a 1024p image(because a 512p has not enough room), but ingame the formation is in a mess!
    Attachment 17695

I belive it is because of the Actionpage numbers have something wrong. I put the bif file hereAttachment 17696, could you please caculate the Actionpage?

Out of date.
    Last edited by zweihander; 02-29-2016 at 09:28.

It might be the formation's width or lenght, or how formed/unformed it is.

Try different ones and you will see.

But no this problem when I use a 512p bif last night, so I believe it because pf the 1024p and actionpage.

@Stazi please help!

I add new animation to the doppelsoldner unit graphic and put it into a 1024p image(because a 512p has not enough room), but ingame the formation is in a mess!
    Attachment 17695

I belive it is because of the Actionpage numbers have something wrong. I put the bif file hereAttachment 17696, could you please caculate the Actionpage?
    Yes, it's because wrong actionpage coordinates. And no, I can't recalculate them. But there are two solutions:

1. You need to resize your 1024p tex to 512p. It's because Bif reader doesn't work with 1024p textures. Then you open it in bif reader, load your old actionpage and tune all the rectangles. Obviously, poses will be very small buts it's how MTW engine sees them. This method is very time consuming.

2. The method I'm currently working on. I use TexturePacker with my customized exporter to generate texture and actionpage file. Both in just a few clicks. There is one reuirement: all 12 frames for each pose have to be exactly the same size (rectangle). That's why I asked you yesterday about single frames.

Check the example. It's your yesterday version of Doppelsoldner packed using this method:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ALL.gif 
Views:	205 
Size:	331.5 KB 
ID:	17697

As you can see it's still a lot free space if all the frame poses are packed without unnecessary empty spaces. There is nearly enough space for the whole new unit and it's just a 512p texture.

My exporter also generates actionpage txt file formatted like this:
    Code:
    <<512x512>>
    dop_fight_E_01
    22 77 115 59 159 136
    dop_fight_NE_01
    14 80 202 60 232 140
    dop_fight_SE_01
    21 78 159 60 202 138
    dop_fight_S_01
    13 82 0 113 26 195
    dop_run_E_01
    25 58 138 0 189 58
    dop_run_NE_01
    22 59 189 0 234 59
    dop_run_SE_01
    24 64 28 53 77 117
    dop_run_S_01
    18 68 77 57 114 125
    dop_stand_E_01
    25 52 51 0 102 52
    dop_stand_NE_01
    25 52 0 0 50 52
    dop_stand_SE_01
    17 56 102 0 137 56
    dop_stand_S_01
    14 60 0 52 28 112
    All you have to do is to sort them out basing on the files names and tune an origin (first two values in each line) in bif reader. Origin is different for each unit and each pose so it can't be automatically calculated. I place it in the middle of bottom edge. It looks like this in bif reader:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doppel.png 
Views:	167 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	17698

Values in exporter are rounded down so some rectangles need to be increased by 1 pixel for perfect visual experience in game.

But this method is not fully ready yet. I still have to figure out the best routine.

EDIT
    I'll try to repack your today version and generate the actionpage file.
    Last edited by Stazi; 02-29-2016 at 09:06.

@Stazi Thanks! but you don't need to do it, I have already done it.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast