Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gameroom Rock/Paper/Scissors Tournament IV

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gameroom Rock/Paper/Scissors Tournament IV

Quote Originally Posted by edse View Post
    I want to bet 20 on 3 or more rocks thrown in the first round. Anyone take it?
    Initial throws only, or factoring in rethrows?
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Initial throws only, or factoring in rethrows?
    With rethrows. I misscalculated though, I meant the double (the probability is very high and no one should take it). The correct bet is 20 gold on a total of 6 or more rocks thrown in the first round.

I'll take the bet against.

6 or more in 24 throws is still like 86% chance. I want a share in your profits, so I'll also bet 20 with you and hedge my chances with 2 gold against.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Sipsclar View Post
    6 or more in 24 throws is still like 86% chance. I want a share in your profits, so I'll also bet 20 with you and hedge my chances with 2 gold against.
    It's only 12 throws + possible rethrows. Should be around 16 throws in total.

I withdraw my bet.

I think the bet is quite fair. I quickly calculated that the expected number of rocks is 5,33 but I haven't calculated the probability.

For 16 it's only 45%, so come back, Zack, we play fair here.

You're assuming random, but 2 people are betting on it...

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So, just to ensure I've got it right:

edse is betting 20 gold that at least six Rocks are shown.
    Al Sipsclar is betting the same.
    Al Sipsclar is also hedging by betting 2 gold that less than six Rocks are shown.

So, assuming no further betting on this issue, if we have 6+ rocks then edse is up 2 and Al Sips is down 2.
    And if we have >6 rocks then edse is down 20 and Al Sips is up 20.
    If someone else was to get in on the bet then edse's share would not move but Al Sips would receive less than 20 if we had >6 rocks shown (-edit- but he'd also be down 20 from losing the other side of his hedge)

Correct?

Told you this would be ad hoc
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

replace ">6" with "<6", then yeah.
    and I'll receive part of my 20 proportional to my 2
    Last edited by Al Sipsclar; 02-24-2016 at 01:11.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You will note that this tournament has 13 entrants instead of 12. The top four seeds will still receive first-round byes in the knockout round, but last place, the #13 seed, will miss out on the knockout round entirely. This is done to patch out an exploit that a certain person WHO WILL REMAIN NAMELESS used in order to go into the knockout round while purposely not scoring a single point in the round robin.
    You give me too little credit. You aint seen nothin' yet.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

The mind boggles... I probably should know more about how this betting thing actually works before throwing myself into it.

Can I bet with skewed odds?

i.e. I'll take 10 if fewer than 6 rocks are shown, but give away 5 if 6 or more show?

Blog Entries

Yes, but you have to get someone to agree to those stakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal View Post
    The mind boggles... I probably should know more about how this betting thing actually works before throwing myself into it.

Can I bet with skewed odds?

i.e. I'll take 10 if fewer than 6 rocks are shown, but give away 5 if 6 or more show?
    There are 42 gold currently wagered. If you bet 5 against 6+ rocks showing up, the pot will become 47 gold, and if <6 rocks are thrown, you and I will split it according to our wagers, 5:2. That is you get 34 gold, and I get 13 gold. If 6 or more are thrown, you lose your 5 gold bet.

I'd like to wager 10 gold that fresh-faced rookie Myrddraal will defeat Old Man Sigurd (aka The Grey Bridesmaid) in the D1 match up.

Any takers?
    Last edited by Winston Hughes; 02-24-2016 at 18:34.

I'll take that winston. 10 gold on sigurd.

That gold's as good as mine.

I'll side with Winston and bet 10 on Myrddraal.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Sipsclar View Post
    I'll side with Winston and bet 10 on Myrddraal.
    Al Sipsclar, I don't think this betting system works very well in this case (your bet made Winston's possible profit to drop from 10 to 5 without him confirming it). The bets work better if they are made between only between two people.

Blog Entries

Al Sipsclar, I don't think this betting system works very well in this case (your bet made Winston's possible profit to drop from 10 to 5 without him confirming it). The bets work better if they are made between only between two people.
    I think starting with next round people could say that they'll match all bets or something to that effect in order to get around this.

-edit- Alternatively, I could look up "how to be a bookie" once I'm able to do so on a computer where I won't get fired for adding it to my search history.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 02-24-2016 at 20:15.

Member thankful for this post:

Zack 

I assumed any offered bet on an outcome would need to be met with a bet from somebody else on the opposing outcome.

Thus, Zack and I have already set our stakes against one another, and Al needs someone else to step up and bet against his 10 on Myrddraal for his wager to be activated, with GH needing only to act as bank (and referee in case of dispute).

One thing we can reasonably conclude from all this: gambling is not one of GeneralHankerchief's vices.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Blog Entries

Anyway, waiting on @Visorslash, @atheotes, and @El Barto.

Ok, I probably misunderstood (or didn't even try to understand) the betting system that was offered. But the shared pot and changing outcomes is what makes the betting interesting. If it's only the private bets between two people then meh.

Blog Entries

I might be overthinking. Maybe it would be easier if I split it into two categories:

- General bets, where bettors only have to say how much they're wagering that a certain outcome will happen, and then they get what they get out of it depending on how many people are involved. Bets that don't get taken obviously go back to the initial person regardless of the outcome.

- Specific side bets between two people of course.

Maybe GH can introduce prop bets (e.g. something like edse's bet, x number of draws this round, y number of upsets, that sort of thing) that everyone can bet on, creating a prize pool that gets distributed out to the winners.

I might be overthinking. Maybe it would be easier if I split it into two categories:

- General bets, where bettors only have to say how much they're wagering that a certain outcome will happen, and then they get what they get out of it depending on how many people are involved. Bets that don't get taken obviously go back to the initial person regardless of the outcome.

- Specific side bets between two people of course.
    This sounds like a good compromise.

I'm still waiting for someone to take my bet for 20 gold on a total of more than 6 rocks thrown in the first round. It's a somewhat fair bet I can assure you! The probability for more than 6 rocks in only the initial throws is only 0,17.

In the meantime I can pool 10 gold on sigurd winning on day 1

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

I be throwin' a proposition bet, if it be allowed, on there bein' three ties in th' first roun' at least. Ten gold pieces on that, arrr.

Zackbeard, what say ye?
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

@El Barto, I'll take you up if you'll accept my two gold pieces to your ten.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast