Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Gameroom Rock/Paper/Scissors Tournament IV

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Default Re: Gameroom Rock/Paper/Scissors Tournament IV

I be bettin' against th' bank that I do not win on round three.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    I be bettin' against th' bank that I do not win on round three.
    Somebody already tried this on me privately last round. No.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Arrr, them scurvy curs be misbehavin'.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.

Siguuurd!!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Somebody already tried this on me privately last round. No.
    I had a dream that I organized a few other players into a betting ring, where we would throw matches to rack up gold for ourselves.

Also, how in the world is khaan 2-0? You people realize his meta is to always throw rock, right?

Until the day he doesn't.

Dare ye take me bet, Zack? The bank didna, but I be willin' to give ye good odds.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Also, how in the world is khaan 2-0? You people realize his meta is to always throw rock, right?
    I am a god. You should be in awe. Kneel before Khaan!
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

A god, but ye bain't no Zod. God o' what, be ye?

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Tying with Visorslash should make me Gameroom RPS III Co-Champion by inherence!
    BLARGH!

yes!!! I knew it. Just need to keep a poker face that no one has been able to read! My years of training for this tournament is paying dividends!

(Secretly bets 10 gold that atheotes would win his next round)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    he's looking for a Manhattan to drink
    You know that. I'm currently wondering whether the widely-hyped Wild Turkey/Maurin combo can really top the exceptional Old Overholt/Vya blend, whilst researching how to manufacture the perfect maraschino cherry.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Waiting on @Sigurd and @Winston Hughes.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Sorry people... Weekends are tough on the internetz.
    Status Emeritus

We all know the real reason. You're afraid of me. Mostly because it would be so incredibly embarrassing to lose to such an incompetent player... but still, afraid nonetheless.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    We all know the real reason. You're afraid of me. Mostly because it would be so incredibly embarrassing to lose to such an incompetent player... but still, afraid nonetheless.
    You are not incompetent... you initial paper shows you at least have some strategy. Too bad you went up against a high risk player throwing scissors in the first throw of a tournament. Who does this anyway? Crazy I tell ya... crazy.
    Status Emeritus

Blog Entries

All orders received, give me two hours.

Blog Entries

Day 3 results

The jockeying for positions has already begun. With four all-important first round byes at stake, the likes of atheotes, Visorslash, Myrddraal, and, surprisingly, seireikhaan, are all looking to build on their solid starts and rack up as many early points as possible in order to make the stretch run easy for them. Meanwhile, on the other end of the leaderboard, Zack and Al Sipsclar look to score their first points. Jolt, Winston Hughes, BSmith, and edse too want to start making some more noise. New to this tournament is the Unlucky #13 seed, which, should you receive it, means you miss out on the knockout round entirely. Nobody wants to be put in that position. For them, in a sense, the must-win rounds have already begun.

Teeth gritted, steeled for battle, the contestants (except El Barto, taking a well-deserved nap on his bye) are ready as the referee walks out, acknowledges the contestants, and raises his hand in the air.

"Rock... paper... scissors... shoot!"

The first match of the day is between Zack and Sigurd, both of whom have gotten off to shaky starts. Zack took a loss in his first matchup and then went on bye, while Sigurd, though he hasn't lost yet, hasn't won yet either. The Dragonslayer expects better of himself. The two of them played on Day 5 of the previous tournament and Sigurd won easily, but this time the result would not be repeated. In a somewhat ironic result considering Sigurd's pep talk to Zack before the battle, he throws Paper... only to see Zack's Scissors. Perhaps Sigurd should be less overt about his strategizing in the future.
    Zack defeats Sigurd

Csargo and edse, so far, are in the middle of the pack. It's still extremely early in the tournament, obviously, but both men are looking for any kind of jump start to get to the vaunted Top Four. It's not going to happen on the first throw, as both of them show Scissors. The second throw does provide the separation, though. edse has stuck with Scissors - and it was a wise decision, as Csargo has unfortunately flipped to Paper. After an initial win on the first day, Csargo has now lost two matchups in a row. Meanwhile, edse has improved his result every day so far.
    edse defeats Csargo

Up next is Myrddraal facing early leader atheotes in what could potentially be an early playoff preview. Of the four possible points the two of them could have earned by this stage of the tournament, they've collected 3.5. People are eagerly watching to see how this result could shape the scoreboard, but there is very little drama to be had. atheotes throws Rock, which crushes Myrddraal's Scissors. atheotes is now three wins for three and guarantees himself at least a share of the lead going into Day 4.
    atheotes defeats Myrddraal

Defending champion Visorslash takes on Al Sipsclar, still searching for his first points, next. At first glance this would appear to be somewhat of a mismatch. Visorslash has the experience, championship pedigree, and a solid first two results in this tournament, while Al Sips has none of these things. One thing Al Sips *does* have, though, is Rock, which smashes Visor's Scissors and renders all of his previous advantages moot. With a decisive win over the defending champion, Al Sipsclar has scored his first points in the tournament in high style.
    Al Sipsclar defeats Visorslash

Neither Winston Hughes nor Jolt has made too much headway in the tournament so far, though in fairness Jolt has had an early bye and thus received his 0.5 points in one fewer result than Winston. A win here for the returning veteran would be very telling and would probably put Jolt in the upper tier of competitors, but Winston won't go down easily. He matches Jolt's initial throw of Rock with his own, and then wisely switches to Paper on the rethrow, defeating Jolt's Rock. Winston isn't in the upper tier yet, but this win does put him within striking distance of the leaders.
    Winston Hughes defeats Jolt

The final match of the day is between surprise leader seireikhaan and his betting victim from yesterday BSmith. This match is tinged with a little malice, as BSmith wants justice for his lost 80 gold and khaan, taking everything personally, is still stung that anyone would ever doubt his glory. The current theme holds, with khaan adding insult to injury by defeating BSmith's Scissors with his own Rock and kept pace with atheotes for first place overall. BSmith, on the other hand, would probably do well to just avoid all sort of competition with khaan for a while.
    seireikhaan defeats BSmith

Standings through Day 3:

*seireikhaan: 3
    *atheotes: 3
    *Visorslash: 1.5
    *Myrddraal: 1.5
    *Winston Hughes: 1.5
    *edse: 1.5
    Zack: 1
    El Barto: 1
    *Al Sipsclar: 1
    *Csargo: 1
    *Sigurd: 1
    Jolt: 0.5
    *BSmith: 0.5

* - still to go on bye
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is now Day 4!

Day 4 matchups:

Zack vs. Visorslash
    Winston Hughes vs. Myrddraal
    seireikhaan vs. Csargo
    El Barto vs. edse
    BSmith vs. atheotes
    Jolt vs. Al Sipsclar
    Sigurd (bye)

Blog Entries

Day 3 results - betting

Not much action yesterday, but the bookies are still ready if called upon. The only wager taken was atheotes betting 10 on himself to win, which he happily collected on after his victory over Myrddraal. khaan still has a commanding lead in the gold count, but atheotes has now put himself in second. Considering these two are also tied for first on the tournament leaderboard, it appears as if the rich are getting richer.

Bettors:
    seireikhaan - 190
    atheotes - 110
    Zack - 105
    Al Sipsclar - 102
    Csargo - 100
    Myrddraal - 100
    edse - 98
    El Barto - 90
    Winston Hughes - 90
    BSmith - 20
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 02-29-2016 at 15:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    You are not incompetent... you initial paper shows you at least have some strategy. Too bad you went up against a high risk player throwing scissors in the first throw of a tournament. Who does this anyway? Crazy I tell ya... crazy.
    The local rules state "No rock in the beginning", forcing everyone to throw scissors first if they want to win.

Blog Entries

Waiting on @Visorslash, @Myrddraal, and @El Barto.

I be just sent them in -an' I be publicly offerin' 10 doubloon on at least four scissors appearin' to anyone wha takes it.

Blog Entries

All orders received.

Will try to have results up in an hour, otherwise it might have to wait a little while.

Blog Entries

Day 4 results

With seireikhaan and atheotes setting an alarming pace after three days of the tournament, the contestants choose from two orders of the day. For khaan and atheotes, the task is simple: they have to simply keep winning. For everyone else, they have to stop them. The tasks specifically fall to Csargo and BSmith, but everyone else wants in on the action as well. As Sigurd watches on, the jockeying for positions has already begun.

The crowd is in a particularly good mood today, as they cheer and sing to their heroes as the referee walks out, acknowledges the contestants, and raises his hand in the air.

"Rock... paper... scissors... shoot!"

The first match of the day is between rivals Zack and Visorslash. The defending champion took down Zack in their meeting in the previous tournament, right before it became common knowledge about Zack's strange connection with atheotes for the first half of that tournament. This time, free of such bonds, Zack is looking for revenge - but he is foiled once again, with Visor's Paper covering Zack's Rock on the first throw. After a brief stutter yesterday, Visor's title defense is back on track. Zack now has bigger problems, with a mere one point through his first three matches - less than his total to this point in the last tournament.
    Visorslash defeats Zack

The battle between Winston Hughes and Myrddraal is next. This match has drawn attention as so far the two of them have been in prime position, leading the non-khaan/atheotes pack of contestants in the scoring race. Should either or both of those two falter, the winner of the Winston/Myrd matchup would be in a very good position to gain ground. Alas, it is not to be, as both men pick up their second draw of the tournament with identical throws of Scissors and then Scissors again.
    Winston Hughes and Myrddraal draw

Surprise leader seireikhaan takes on Csargo next. khaan has been riding high so far and defying all expectations with three wins in three matches, but Csargo sensationally declared that he was "ready for" khaan in a press conference before the match and was confident that he'd pull off the upset. khaan, not one to tolerate any challenge - perceived or otherwise - to his supremacy, is eagerly anticipating the moment where he gets to swat Csar down - but then he sees what Csargo has thrown: Paper, the perfect counter to his Rock. Csargo, acknowledging his cheering supporters, has delivered on his promise. khaan now has to wonder if this was a one-time blip or if he's been figured out.
    Csargo defeats seireikhaan

Up next is the match between El Barto and edse, both of whom are looking to climb up the leaderboard. edse has the slight advantage in points, his 1.5 looking a little better than Barto's 1.0, but Barto is coming off his bye that edse has yet to take. Their appearance of being evenly matched holds with the first throw, with both men showing Scissors. The tiebreaker, though, proves decisive, with Barto's Paper nicely covering edse's Rock. Barto has used his bye well and will now look to carry his momentum through his next match and beyond.
    El Barto defeats edse

In what would appear to be the day's biggest mismatch, bottom feeder BSmith tries to take down undefeated atheotes. BSmith has yet to record a win in this tournament and has also seen most of his gold disappear, but at least seireikhaan is safely in his rearview mirror for a while. atheotes, for his part, wants to prove the validity of the expression "out of the frying pan, but into the fire", but fails to deliver: his Paper has come up short against BSmith's Scissors. With both leaders outright losing today, there is a renewed sense of optimism among the contestants. The gap has closed, they can still do this. Unsurprisingly, atheotes does not share these sentiments.
    BSmith defeats atheotes

The final matchup of the day is between Jolt and newly invigorated Al Sipsclar, fresh off his win against the defending champion yesterday. Tournament reporters caught Al Sipsclar celebrating his victory late into the night yesterday in high style indeed, with various sources coming to a consensus of Al Sips "socializing" with nine women, four men, dozens of bottles of various liquors, an office printing machine, and a large grizzly bear named Bertha. With Al Sips's shirt torn revealing a large amount of claw marks, oddsmakers are wondering if he is in the mental state to face Jolt. Their suspicions appear to be correct, as his Paper is quickly cut down by Jolt's Scissors. Jolt has rebounded nicely from a loss on the previous day. Al Sipsclar, on the other hand, walks out without taking any questions, muttering something about "PC Load Letter" and "beef jerky" under his breath.
    Jolt defeats Al Sipsclar

Standings through Day 4:

*seireikhaan: 3
    *atheotes: 3
    *Visorslash: 2.5
    El Barto: 2
    *Myrddraal: 2
    *Winston Hughes: 2
    *Csargo: 2
    Jolt: 1.5
    *edse: 1.5
    *BSmith: 1.5
    Zack: 1
    Sigurd: 1
    *Al Sipsclar: 1

* - still to go on bye
    Note with the standings: I do not bother to adjust position for tiebreakers beyond boosting those who have already gone on bye above those who have not yet done so (provided they have the same score). If there are tiebreakers to be resolved, I will do so and explain the procedure once the round robin phase has concluded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is now Day 5!

Day 5 matchups:

Zack vs. Al Sipsclar
    atheotes vs. Jolt
    edse vs. BSmith
    Sigurd vs. El Barto
    Myrddraal vs. seireikhaan
    Visorslash vs. Winston Hughes
    Csargo (bye)
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 03-01-2016 at 22:39.

Blog Entries

Day 4 results - betting

Another easy round for the bookies. El Barto made a bet that at least four scissors would be shown, which was correct, but made it too late in the round for anyone to take him up on it. His gold count remains unchanged.

seireikhaan - 190
    atheotes - 110
    Zack - 105
    Al Sipsclar - 102
    Csargo - 100
    Myrddraal - 100
    edse - 98
    El Barto - 90
    Winston Hughes - 90
    BSmith - 20

I should be on 2.5, my record is WDLW iirc?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    I should be on 2.5, my record is WDLW iirc?
    ..................yes. Will adjust.

Alright. I've got 20 gold burning a hole in my pocket. Who wants to make me a bet I can't refuse?
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

I'll bet you that Csargo won't lose this round.

yeah, no.
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast