Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gameroom Rock/Paper/Scissors Tournament IV

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gameroom Rock/Paper/Scissors Tournament IV

All results received, I'll have the writeup done in probably two hours (other stuff to do as well).

All orders are locked in but betting may still take place in the meantime.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Day 1 results

The world had changed since the last tournament in 2012. After the stadium went dark, people looked everywhere to fill the void that Rock/Paper/Scissors had left in their hearts. Some turned to vice, immersing themselves in all manner of activity in an attempt to replicate what was lost. Some turned to more productive ventures like starting a family. Still others moved on to following other types of games, but those were poor substitutes for the genuine article. Most people, though, spent the four years in a state of limbo. They moved through their lives as almost an automaton, as if they had no meaning without the tournament.

Everything changed, though, with the announcement. After nearly four long, dark, cold, miserable years, the stadium turned the lights on again. Gamblers started to see an uptick in action. The birth rate was set to spike. Rock/Paper/Scissors was back.

An expansion to the stadium and a structured pricing scheme meant that all manner of society's classes could go see the tournament, from the super-wealthy who wanted to be there because this was the place to be, to the down-on-their-luck who scrimped and saved to give themselves a good memory. But one thing was keeping them all in common: They all made noise.

The thirteen contestants (including Jolt, who is on bye this round) certainly notice this as they emerge out. Some have been there before. Visorslash gets a big grin on his face as he remembers his triumphs in 2012 and the crowd that spurred him on. Zack and atheotes try not to look at each other. Sigurd doesn't even seem to notice. For others, this is new. Myrddraal has a look of curiosity on his face. Al Sipsclar accidentally walks right past his starting position and is gently corrected by the referee.

Things only get louder. After nearly four years of waiting, the crowd is whipped up into an absolute frenzy, which only intensifies as the referee walks out, acknowledges the contestants, and raises his hand in the air.

"Rock... paper... scissors... shoot!"

The inaugural matchup is between two tournament veterans, Zack and Csargo. Csargo, though he is rustier having missed the previous tournament, has a slightly better record than his opponent: he won his first playoff match and made it to the quarterfinals before bowing out to the eventual champion, while Zack lost his first playoff match to an opponent who exited the very next round. Their pasts are far our of their minds at the moment, though: this is a new tournament and the possibilities are wide open. Sadly, reality comes crashing down about a second later for Zack, as his Paper is cut by Csargo's Scissors. The first throw of the tournament has ended in a victory for Csargo.
    Csargo defeats Zack

The next matchup is a study in contrasts: tournament newbie Myrddraal vs. cagey veteran Sigurd. This match saw quite a bit of betting action on it beforehand as people wondered how the two of these players would match up, and the betting was surprisingly even for both sides. The first throw proves why this is the case with both men showing Paper... and the second throw continues to prove the same as both throw Paper once again. Myrddraal looks somewhat satisfied with the result, as he got a good showing against a tough opponent, but Sigurd looks a little disappointed. This is not how he wanted his redemption tour to start.
    Myrddraal and Sigurd draw

Defending champion Visorslash is up next and ready to take on edse. Interestingly, these two faced off on the first day of the previous tournament as well, with Visor triumphing on the rethrow as their first through came up as a draw. This time, though, Visor has become more effecient, as his Rock crushes edse's Scissors on the first try. No rethrow will be necessary. edse looks in pain, but Visor has bigger things to worry about. The defending champion has started off strong.
    Visorslash defeats edse

Up next are Winston Hughes and atheotes. Both of these men are tournament veterans - this is Winston's second and atheotes's third - but both of them have yet to make the semifinals in any tournament. Determined to break their hard-luck streaks, they both want to start off the tournament with a good result, and one of them gets their wish. Winston, hoping atheotes starts with good old reliable rock, throws Paper, but atheotes has outfoxed him and thrown Scissors. He looks over at Zack and waves. There will be no bizarre connection this year, it seems.
    atheotes defeats Winston Hughes

seireikhaan has a bemused look on his face as he takes on Al Sipsclar. After infamously not scoring a single point in the previous tournament, he went into the knockout round as the most feared opponent, because nobody had any data on him after he threw nothing but Rock all tournament. After organizers changed the structure this year to prevent this strategy from resurfacing, everyone wondered: would khaan stick to his pattern? His first throw appears to have provided an answer: yes, as he is showing Rock. Meanwhile, Al Sipsclar, perhaps outthinking himself, throws Scissors. khaan's bemusement continues - it has been so long since he's won, he's not quite sure how to react. Al Sipsclar certainly does - he's angry with himself.
    seireikhaan defeats Al Sipsclar

The final matchup of the day is between El Barto and BSmith. Barto, somewhat confused as to where he is and speaking in pirate tongue and mentioning something about doubloons, has to be guided to his starting position as BSmith eyes him curiously. Once the throws start, though, Barto is laser-focused: his Scissors have cut right through BSmith's Paper.
    El Barto defeats BSmith

Standings through Day 1:
    *Csargo: 1
    *Visorslash: 1
    *atheotes: 1
    *seireikhaan: 1
    *El Barto: 1
    *Sigurd: 0.5
    *Myrddraal: 0.5
    *Zack: 0
    Jolt: 0
    *edse: 0
    *Winston Hughes: 0
    *Al Sipsclar: 0
    *BSmith: 0

* - still to go on bye
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is now Day 2!

Day 2 matchups:

El Barto vs. seireikhaan
    BSmith vs. Winston Hughes
    Jolt vs. Visorslash
    Al Sipsclar vs. Myrddraal
    atheotes vs. Csargo
    edse vs. Sigurd
    Zack (bye)
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 02-25-2016 at 15:17.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Blog Entries

Day 1 results - betting

The most-trafficked action on the first day was whether Sigurd or Myrddraal would win their matchup, so of course the two of them drew and refunded all bets. El Barto also had a couple of bets - that there would be at least three draws and that he would win, but nobody took him up on it in time so those bets went back to him as well.

The only bet that actually went through in this round was the edse/Al Sipsclar wager on how many total Rocks would be shown in Round 1, with edse betting 20 that there would be at least 6 and Al Sips matching that total while wagering 2 on the under in order to hedge. It isn't even close, with only two Rocks being thrown, but that's why Al Sipsclar hedged in the first place. After a lot of confusion on the bookmakers' parts (note: in the extremely likely event that I screwed this up, please let me know), they determine that edse loses 20 gold for his incorrect bet while Al Sips's hedge nets him that 20.

I think.

NEW BETTING SYSTEM:
    I'm dividing this into three tiers:

Bank bets:
    For simple wagers only. You don't need anyone to take these bets, you'll be going directly against me. The only bank bets that are allowed are as follows:
    - Pick a winner (or a draw) in a matchup
    - Pick the final throw made by one person (obviously you're not allowed to bet on what you yourself throw)
    I offer 2:1 odds on winner picks and 3:1 odds on final throws.

Pool bets:
    The most complex of the three bets. Ideally this works best with a lot of people involved. You simply put up how much money you're willing to lose on a certain outcome, and the profits are divided by how many people are in on the share. With pool bets people set their own odds.

Individual side bets:
    Between two people, wagered on anything. Both sides must confirm to me.

Bettors:
    Al Sipsclar - 102
    Zack - 100
    El Barto - 100
    BSmith - 100
    atheotes - 100
    Csargo - 100
    Myrddraal - 100
    Winston Hughes - 100
    seireikhaan - 100
    edse - 98

Jolt - 100 (unconfirmed) - no, see below post

Again, confirmation on the Al Sips/edse outcome would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully the new system will make things go smoother from here on out.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 02-26-2016 at 01:37.

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

I'll pass on the betting side of the game.
    BLARGH!

Ah, back to losing again. Zack expresses frustration at how he can do so poorly in a game based on 97% rng.

You and me both..
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am the greatest.

Now, anyone looking for a bet? I'm feeling confident about my success in the next round.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Sure. I'll bet you 10 gold that you lose next round.
    2B1ASK1

Nah, I don't think our bet should be 20 for 2. I intended that it would be even 20:20, so I agree on a loss of 2 gold.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edse View Post
    Nah, I don't think our bet should be 20 for 2. I intended that it would be even 20:20, so I agree on a loss of 2 gold.
    Makes more sense considering Al Sips won on a hedge.

Can Al Sips confirm this?

I put 5 gold on Winston losing.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    this is Winston's second
    Is it? I thought I just lurked the last one. Has my memory deserted me in my old age?

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    I put 5 gold on Winston losing.
    Congratulations, you picked the one outcome I would never bet against.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Hughes View Post
    Is it? I thought I just lurked the last one. Has my memory deserted me in my old age?
    You appear to be correct. I'm going to let that part of the writeup remain as a mark of laziness shame.

The bank will take it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
    Sure. I'll bet you 10 gold that you lose next round.
    Pfft. 10 gold? Make it 80.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

I like drawing on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by edse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Makes more sense considering Al Sips won on a hedge.

Can Al Sips confirm this?
    I expected that the winner(s) takes all, but if that's not what the sore loser signed up for, fine, I'll be charitable.

Quote Originally Posted by seireikhaan View Post
    Pfft. 10 gold? Make it 80.
    Go Big or Go Home.

80 it is.
    2B1ASK1

Side bet proposal: left beats right, stake 60g, win/lose 10g for each win over even split (so 0/6 pays you the full 60, 6/0 costs you the full 60).

El Barto vs. seireikhaan
    Jolt vs. Visorslash
    atheotes vs. Csargo
    edse vs. Sigurd
    Last edited by Winston Hughes; 02-25-2016 at 23:36.

So I would be betting right beats left? If so, I'm in. I'll keep my bet against you as a hedge of sorts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
    Go Big or Go Home.

80 it is.
    The contract is sealed.

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seireikhaan View Post
    Now, anyone looking for a bet? I'm feeling confident about my success in the next round.
    I be confident ye bain't. Ten doubloon on me, against ten o' your'n.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Hughes View Post
    Side bet proposal: left beats right, stake 60g, win/lose 10g for each win over even split (so 0/6 pays you the full 60, 6/0 costs you the full 60).

El Barto vs. seireikhaan
    Jolt vs. Visorslash
    atheotes vs. Csargo
    edse vs. Sigurd
    Be this like quinella, eh?
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    I be confident ye bain't. Ten doubloon on me, against ten o' your'n.
    Deal.

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

In fairness I must be warnin' thee, seireikhan't. Bear in mind tha' ye's betting that thee wins an' I's bettin' that thee doesn't. So a tie favours me fer the bet.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    So I would be betting right beats left? If so, I'm in. I'll keep my bet against you as a hedge of sorts.

Blog Entries

Waiting on @seireikhaan.

Blog Entries

All orders received, writeup should be up in two hours.

-edit- As always I will still take bets in the interim.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 02-26-2016 at 18:59.

Blog Entries

Day 2 results

After one day of the tournament, the contestants hope that the butterflies have all left their stomachs. The spectacle continues to grow, as it will right up through the championship matchup far in the distance, but in the meantime these players all have work to do. For some, it's to remain on course. For others, it's to right the ship after a bad performance. For Jolt, it's to put in a good showing on his bye-delayed debut. For Zack, it's to hope that his bets pan out, as he has little else to do on the day of *his* bye.

All of this is cosmetic, however; it is variations on the same theme. Everyone wants to win. And winning is on everyone's mind as the referee walks out, acknowledges the contestants, and raises his hand in the air.

"Rock... paper... scissors... shoot!"

The first matchup of the day has some pretty enormous stakes. An astonishing 200 gold is being wagered on the winner of the El Barto and seireikhaan matchup - but perhaps more importantly, both of these contestants come in with one win to their name already. A second here would put them in the driver's seat in the early part of the tournament. Barto sticks with the throw that brought them victory the previous day, Scissors, but is in for a nasty surprise as khaan has done the same and thrown Rock. It looks like khaan's last place finish in the third tournament is far in the rearview mirror.
    seireikhaan defeats El Barto

Up next is an intriguing contest between BSmith and Winston Hughes. Neither was able to score a point yesterday, but the former (BSmith) and current (Winston) moderator of CFC do have somewhat of a personal rivalry between the two of them. "Time to test your knowledge of forum procedure," BSmith says, as the two of them both initially throw Paper. BSmith approvingly nods and prepares his second throw: Rock, which is once again matched by Winston. Apparently this was the correct procedure and BSmith turns to congratulate Winston on passing the test, but he finds Winston has already turned away - he's looking for a Manhattan to drink.
    BSmith and Winston Hughes draw

Jolt could not have drawn a worse opponent for his first match in six years: He goes up against defending champion Visorslash, who kicked off his title defense in impressive fashion yesterday and has a hungry look on his face. Jolt tries to keep down his nerves and does well enough, matching Visor's Rock with his own. On the second throw, Visor refuses to change course and throws Rock again - as does Jolt. Jolt walks away looking rather pleased himself - this was an acceptable result for now.
    Jolt and Visorslash draw

Two straight draws have left the crowd eager for a victory, and both Al Sipsclar and Myrddraal would be more than happy to oblige. The problem, of course, is that they have to do it against each other. Myrddraal had the better result from the previous day, and at the end of the day his momentum carries him through, with his Paper nicely triumphing over Al Sips's Rock. The crowd cheers at the result as Myrddraal waves them on, but Al Sipsclar has taken no notice. He needs a victory, fast.
    Myrddraal defeats Al Sipsclar

Up next is a battle to keep pace with surprise leader khaan as atheotes takes on Csargo. Both men are experienced, having taken part in previous tournaments, and they both know what needs to be done. It all comes down to a question of execution, and atheotes emphatically answers it with his Paper covering Csargo's Rock. With two victories from two matches giving him a good start, perhaps the third time will be the charm for atheotes. Csargo, for his part, goes straight to watch the final matchup to do some scouting for tomorrow.
    atheotes defeats Csargo

The final matchup in question is between edse and Sigurd, a rematch of the dramatic knockout round match last tournament which required five separate tiebreakers before a winner (Sigurd) could be declared. As this is merely a round robin match, that record would not be equaled today, but it isn't for lack of trying on the contestants' parts. Both Sigurd and edse initially throw Paper and they both then follow it up with Rock, proving that the two of them are truly evenly-matched. Both men are surely already privately hoping that they do not meet again in the knockout round - otherwise they might be there forever!
    edse and Sigurd draw

Standings through Day 2:
    *seireikhaan: 2
    *atheotes: 2
    *Visorslash: 1.5
    *Myrddraal: 1.5
    *Csargo: 1
    *El Barto: 1
    *Sigurd: 1
    Jolt: 0.5
    *BSmith: 0.5
    *edse: 0.5
    *Winston Hughes: 0.5
    Zack: 0
    *Al Sipsclar: 0

* - still to go on bye
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is now Day 3!

Day 3 matchups:

Zack vs. Sigurd
    Csargo vs. edse
    Myrddraal vs. atheotes
    Visorslash vs. Al Sipsclar
    Winston Hughes vs. Jolt
    seireikhaan vs. BSmith
    El Barto (bye)
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 02-26-2016 at 20:10.

Blog Entries

Day 2 results - betting

After a chaotic first day, the tournament bookies seem to have gotten their affairs in order and the result is a more streamlined process than before with the three-tiered betting system. As a result, the number of bets has gone up, including one monumental wager on the khaan-Barto matchup.

With that being the first match of the day, the drama came storming out of the gate. khaan, compounding his victory in the match, also racked up a cool 90 gold from his various wagers. He truly is having the best tournament so far. El Barto, meanwhile, has to be disappointed, and the less said about BSmith's current status, the better.

Elsewhere, Zack made a bank bet that Winston loses - as Winston did not lose, he's down on that gold. However, he does come out ahead in his "right vs. left" side wager with Winston, as two players on the right side of the matchup line won as opposed to only one on the left (with three draws). That puts up to 10 up for that bet in total and therefore 5 up on the day. Meanwhile, Winston is 10 down from that.

With trends starting to establish themselves that savvy bettors can pick up on, the action is sure to only get more intense from here on out.

Bettors:
    seireikhaan - 190
    Zack - 105
    Al Sipsclar - 102
    atheotes - 100
    Csargo - 100
    Myrddraal - 100
    edse - 98
    El Barto - 90
    Winston Hughes - 90
    BSmith - 20

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast