Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Gameroom Rock/Paper/Scissors Tournament IV

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gameroom Rock/Paper/Scissors Tournament IV

Day 7 results

After a weekend off after which the tournament officials seem to be uncharacteristically unorganized, we are set to resume at the stadium and the crowd has worked itself up into a frenzy. With this day marking the halfway point of the round robin, it is absolutely imperative for the contestants to pick up a good result today - and they know it, decidedly not looking at each other or anything else as they make their way to their positions.

Some are handling the pressure better than others (particularly Myrddraal, who has a well-timed bye this round), but it's time to see if that translates to results. The crowd noise only amps up as the referee walks out, acknowledges the contestants, and raises his hand in the air.

"Rock... paper... scissors... shoot!"

The first matchup of the day is between Zack and the so-far impressive Winston Hughes. Winston moved into a tie for second the previous day with his victory over El Barto and has not outright lost since Day 1. Zack, though, finally broke his hard-luck run on the previous day with a win over edse and is looking to put those days well behind him. With momentum on both their sides, they prove evenly matched with the first throw, both men showing Scissors. However, the second throw provides separation. Winston sticks with Scissors, but Zack correctly switches to Rock. With two successive victories, one of them having the potential to be his signature win of the tournament, Zack is looking a lot stronger than he was two days ago.
    Zack defeats Winston Hughes

The next match sees a clash of the titans between seireikhaan and Visorslash. khaan, having been on bye the most recent day, hopes to use his rest period well as a preparation for the defending champion (who would pass him in the leaderboard with a win), but Visor is coming off a win and wants to reassert his authority. Visor has faced khaan before and knows exactly what is coming, as he easily anticipates khaan's Rock with his own Paper. With this win combined by Winston's and khaan's losses, the defending champion looks good to secure a first-round bye come the knockout round.
    Visorslash defeats seireikhaan

Up next is El Barto vs. Csargo in a battle of two upper-midlevel players. Csargo has scored one more point than Barto thusfar and the two have gone in opposite directions: Csargo's last two results were wins and Barto's last two were losses. With Csar looking to take advantage of khaan and Winston's losses, he concentrates very hard on trying to beat his opponent... and does. His Rock smashes through El Barto's Scissors, sending him (temporarily) into the top four and officially confirming Barto's tailspin. With a match against the defending champion coming up, El Barto needs to correct himself, and fast.
    Csargo defeats El Barto

Late in the round robin of the previous tournament, Sigurd defeated BSmith to seal his top four position and dooming BSmith to the morass that was the middle tier. Having had an underwhelming run so far, Sigurd is hoping to recapture the magic, but BSmith is in just as rough of a position as Sigurd and is desperate to start some kind of run. In previous tournaments, a bad set of results just meant you were in for a rougher knockout round matchup, but now there is an added element of danger. Finish with the unlucky #13 seed and you miss out on the fun entirely. With the threat of that increasing with every day, Sigurd is the one who delivers, his Rock triumphing over BSmith's Scissors. He still has work to do, but he's certainly in a lot better position than his opponent, who still has to go on bye and is really in trouble now.
    Sigurd defeats BSmith

Jolt takes on edse next in a battle to stay out of the basement. Jolt's positioning is better than what it looks like on first glance, as he has already taken his bye and has had a decent run of results lately, but edse's is just as grim as it looks. With him not having scored a win since Day 3 and only managing a draw against BSmith in that time, edse is hoping the freefall ends today. Jolt has other ideas though. His Scissors cuts through edse's Paper, and it also cuts through his hopes of being anything more than a low seed in the knockout rounds. Tomorrow, Jolt plays Csargo in a critical match that could put him in striking distance of the top four.
    Jolt defeats edse

Al Sipsclar is nervous. He hasn't done well in this tournament so far. He's only scored two points. He hasn't gone on bye yet. And he's facing tournament steamroller atheotes, who has only lost once and not drawn at all on his way to first place so far. He knows the odds. People have bet against him. Bertha the bear has not provided as much solace as he would have liked. But a funny thing happens in these tournaments: the results take on a mind of their own. atheotes, perhaps expecting a rock, has thrown Paper, but Al Sips has defied the odds and thrown Scissors. atheotes won't be too unhappy as he's still maintained his lead, but Al Sips now has a lifeline.
    Al Sipsclar defeats atheotes

Standings through Day 7:
    *atheotes: 5
    *Visorslash: 4.5
    seireikhaan: 4
    Csargo: 4
    *Winston Hughes: 4
    Jolt: 3.5
    Sigurd: 3
    Zack: 3
    *Al Sipsclar: 3
    El Barto: 2
    Myrddraal: 2
    *edse: 2
    *BSmith: 2

* - still to go on bye
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is now Day 8!

Day 8 matchups:

Day 8:
    Zack vs. seireikhaan
    El Barto vs. Visorslash
    BSmith vs. Myrddraal
    Jolt vs. Csargo
    Al Sipsclar vs. Sigurd
    atheotes vs. edse
    Winston Hughes (bye)
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Day 7 results - betting

An amusing day of results for all but one of the bettors. Myrddraal, eager to stay involved on his bye, has put down wagers on all of the matchups today... and got the wrong result on all but one of them. He picked edse, seireikhaan, Winston Hughes, BSmith, and atheotes to triumph, and none of them did. His only solace was correctly picking Csargo over El Barto, but when all was said and done Myrddraal still finds himself down 25 gold for the day.

atheotes, on the other hand, is feeling a lot better. He continues his fine tournament on all fronts by correctly predicting Visor to triumph over seireikhaan, earning himself a cool 20 gold profit.

Bettors:
    atheotes - 130
    Zack - 105
    Al Sipsclar - 102
    Csargo - 100
    edse - 98
    El Barto - 90
    Winston Hughes - 90
    seireikhaan - 90
    Myrddraal - 75
    BSmith - 20
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Who be willin' ta take Takbeard on fer some wagerin'?
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Blog Entries

All orders received (nice and timely!), give me one hour.

Blog Entries

Day 8 results

We've officially passed the halfway point of the round robin and the stakes are immense. atheotes is looking to increase his lead. Visor, khaan, and Csargo are all angling to chase him. Jolt is gunning for a top four spot as he looks to continue his hot streak. Sigurd, Zack, and Al Sipsclar are searching for consistency as they try to claw out of the middle of the pack. El Barto, Myrddraal, BSmith, and edse, are desperate to stay out of the unlucky #13 spot. And Winston Hughes, enjoying his bye, just wants to watch it all burn down.

The intensity ratchets up on this pivotal day, and the crowd responds to it. They go bezerk as the referee walks out, acknowledges the contestants, and raises his hand in the air.

Zack battles seireikhaan in the first match of the day, a critical match for both of them, but Zack almost looks... bored? "I mean, really, it's not too hard to figure this guy's pattern out," Zack explained in an interview before the match. "He has literally thrown nothing but rock since the second tournament back in 2009. It's the fourth tournament in 2016 now. I'm pretty sure I've cracked the code." khaan, when pressed for comment, mumbled something about the Stone singing through his veins. In any case, Zack's prediction pays off, as he correctly throws Paper to khaan's Rock.
    Zack defeats seireikhaan

Up next is the match between El Barto and defending champion Visorslash. Visor, having won two straight and three out of four, is brimming with confidence and is looking to overtake atheotes, but his act does not work on Barto, who is never fazed by anything beyond a lack of rum and/or grog. And a lack of people to do business with. And expanding Papist influence over the colonies and international waters, but let's not go there. The point is, Barto is not scared by Visorslash in the slightest and it shows, covering Visor's Rock with his throw of Paper.
    El Barto defeats Visorslash

BSmith (winless since Day 4, scoreless since Day 5) and Myrddraal (0.5 points from his last four matches) are both at the bottom. They both have a low gold count from the betting. They both really need a win here, but Rock/Paper/Scissors is a cruel mistress and, by the laws of the universe, must deny at least one of them their greatest desire. At the end of the day, BSmith "triumphs" and keeps his cold streak intact, his throw of Paper getting snipped by Myrd's Scissors. This result makes BSmith the odds-on favorite for the dreaded #13 seed.
    Myrddraal defeats BSmith

Contrary to the two previous contestants, Jolt is red-hot. After a deceptively slow start, which included his bye on the very first day, Jolt has won three of his last four matches, with the only blemish being a totally respectable loss to atheotes during that time. However, today he is facing the only player who's even hotter than him: Csargo, who has won three straight. What happens when two unstoppable forces meet head-on? Well, initially, they both throw Scissors. But the rethrow provides separation, and Jolt moves on, correctly switching to Paper while Csargo throws Rock. It's an entertaining matchup and while Csargo is disheartened, these two might meet again in the knockout round should their fine tournaments continue.
    Jolt defeats Csargo

The penultimate match of the day sees Al Sipsclar take on Sigurd. With both men standing at three points, this match could be huge and launch one of them into top four contention... and it could send one of them spiraling downwards to the oblivion of the unlucky #13 seed. Or they could both draw, but with the dearth of draws we've had that seems unlikely. Everybody in the tournament is waiting for the Dragonslayer to go into beserker mode and run riot on the competition, but it has not happened yet. Does it happen today? Reply Hazy, Try Again responds the Magic 8-Ball, as both men start with Rock. The second answer, though, is an unequivocal Don't Count On It - Sigurd switches to Scissors, but Al Sips sticks with Rock. Sigurd's uneven tournament continues while Al Sipsclar has quietly won three out of four.
    Al Sipsclar defeats Sigurd

The final match of the day is a battle of extremes. On one side you have first-place atheotes, ready to slay all comers and put a stranglehold on his #1 seed. On the other side you have edse, who is... trying. Crazy upsets have happened in the tournament before, the biggest one being #11 LazyMcCrow's miracle over the undefeated Ibn-Khaldun in the quarterfinals of the last tournament, but standard hold-to-form victories have also happened. Here, the latter scenario wins out, as edse's Rock is covered by atheotes's Paper.
    atheotes defeats edse

Standings through Day 8:
    *atheotes: 6
    Jolt: 4.5
    *Visorslash: 4.5
    Winston Hughes: 4
    Zack: 4
    *Al Sipsclar: 4
    Sigurd: 3
    El Barto: 3
    Myrddraal: 3
    *BSmith: 2

* - still to go on bye
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is now Day 9!

Day 9 matchups:

Zack vs. atheotes
    edse vs. Al Sipsclar
    Sigurd vs. Jolt
    Csargo vs. BSmith
    Myrddraal vs. El Barto
    Winston Hughes vs. seireikhaan
    Visorslash (bye)

Blog Entries

Day 8 results - betting

One interesting wrinkle that tournament officials have noticed is that there have been no draws at all for three consecutive days. The last contest to end in a split result was edse/BSmith all the way back on Day 5. Considering these two are tied for last place *and* both of them still have to go on bye, this could have implications for any potential tiebreakers.

For now though, it just adds to the questions. Will khaan ever break away from his worship of the Holy Mineral? Will there ever be a draw again? Has GeneralHankerchief, after nearly four tournaments' worth of writeups, finally run out of ways to say that one contestant has defeated another? FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON "AS THE PAPER FLIPS".

Bettors:
    atheotes - 130
    Zack - 105
    Al Sipsclar - 102
    Csargo - 100
    edse - 98
    El Barto - 90
    Winston Hughes - 90
    seireikhaan - 90
    Myrddraal - 75
    BSmith - 20

Member thankful for this post:

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Ok... here goes for another round of bets with the bank:

Bold to win, 5 gold on each:

Zack vs. atheotes
    edse vs. Al Sipsclar
    Sigurd vs. Jolt
    Csargo vs. BSmith
    Myrddraal vs. El Barto

Fine, I'll do it too.

Zack vs. atheotes
    edse vs. Al Sipsclar
    Sigurd vs. Jolt
    Csargo vs. BSmith
    Myrddraal vs. El Barto

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Fine, I'll do it too.

Zack vs. atheotes
    edse vs. Al Sipsclar
    Sigurd vs. Jolt
    Csargo vs. BSmith
    Myrddraal vs. El Barto
    I take this one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edse View Post
    I take this one.
    Betting the opposite results for each matchup?

To clarify, my bets were intended to be against the bank. Though if edse wants to take the opposite (including betting against himself?), I can do that instead.

On second thought, I'll choose whichever option is more confusing and tedious for GeneralHankerchief.

Member thankful for this post:

Blog Entries

I mean, two opposite bets against the bank are the same thing in practice as bets against each other, so in this case there's no difference.

Blog Entries

All orders received, see you in two hours.

bets 20 gold on Winston winning and 10 on Zack winning

Blog Entries

Day 9 results

The gaps, with two exceptions, are nearly nonexistent. At the top of the leaderboard, atheotes surveys his domain stretched out before him. His 1.5 point advantage over his nearest competitors mean that he will all but clinch a first-round bye with another victory today. That same 1.5 points separates second place from eleventh. Bringing up the rear are BSmith and edse, in a death struggle to avoid the dreaded #13 seed, but for pretty much everyone, the margin of error does not exist. The line between success and failure is so thin, and every throw is quite literally the single most important throw of their lives (Visor and Sigurd, having made the finals in the past, disagree, but the point stands nonetheless).

Visor, for his part, is more than happy to be spending this round on bye. Sure, he doesn't get any points out of it, but at least he gets to avoid the cauldron of uncertainty for a day. He lounges back and relaxes as the referee walks out, acknowledges the contestants, and raises his hand in the air.

The first match of the day is a big one: Zack vs. first-place atheotes. After a miserable start to his tournament, Zack has righted the ship and won three matches in a row, but now he faces the ultimate test. Can he take down the titan of the tournament? atheotes, for his part, is in no mood to let up. In the very first tournament, back in 2009, atheotes was the #1 seed going into the final day of the round robin, sitting pretty. What happened? He choked it away on the final day, tumbled down to the #4 spot, and bowed out to eventual champion CountArach in the first matchup of the knockout round. He is determined to not let that happen again. As befitting of a tense match, it starts out even, as both men throw Scissors, but then Zack proves his quality. He switches to Paper while atheotes unwisely turns to Rock. Zack has now won four in a row, taken down the first-place contestant, and is steamrolling his way to a top-four seed.
    Zack defeats atheotes

Up next is a match with slightly fewer stakes to it: edse vs. Al Sipsclar. Certainly, the battle to avoid the #13 seed is an attractive one, but edse's opponent Al Sips is not a giant, he's just... Al Sips. In the middle of the pack, trying to win as much as he can, and go into the knockout round on a hot streak. edse doesn't care that much about the romance of it all, he's just trying to win, but he does not get his wish today as his Rock is covered by Al Sips's Paper. Al Sips is certainly happy: he's kept pace with Zack, but now edse must hope that BSmith loses.
    Al Sipsclar defeats edse

Sigurd, again searching for consistency, faces Jolt in the next matchup. After his big victory against Csargo yesterday, Jolt has now won three in a row, putting himself in second place overall, and is riding high. With atheotes losing earlier today, the former superfan has his eyes set on the prize of the #1 seed - a win would put him within 0.5 points of atheotes. But all of this looking ahead has caused him to possibly overlook his competition. The wily veteran matches Jolt's initial throw of Paper with his own, and then sticks with Paper on the rethrow when Jolt switches to Rock. In the turbulent waters of Rock/Paper/Scissors, Sigurd may not be pacing the pack, but he is still swimming along.
    Sigurd defeats Jolt

Csargo knows better than to overlook his next opponent, hard-luck BSmith. Sure, BSmith may be tied for last, but he is also sensing an opportunity with edse having lost earlier today. A win here against an opponent with eyes on the top four would send a message that, record aside, BSmith would be a tough foe in the knockout round. Csargo knows all of this and is ready for a battle, but comes out misfiring. His Scissors is crushed by BSmith's Rock. With this loss knocking him down a peg, Csargo now has work to do to reestablish himself as a top-four contender.
    BSmith defeats Csargo

Myrddraal isn't quite sure of what to make of El Barto, what with his prancing around and talk of doubloons and general other pirate-y behavior, but he tries to put it out of his mind. His win over BSmith the previous day pulled him out of the abyss, and he's looking to build on that with another victory here. Barto, for his part, has righted his own ship with an impressive win over Visorslash yesterday and is currently letting the world know what he thinks of Myrddraal by making some weird "yarr"ing noises with the corner of his mouth. At the end of the day though, Barto's intimidation(?) tactics fail, as Myrddraal's Paper nicely counters his own Rock.
    Myrddraal defeats El Barto

The final match of the day would have been more highly anticipated had one of the contestants not started to fall fast. Winston Hughes has come off his bye looking to reestablish momentum, and he might have picked the perfect opponent to do it against: seireikhaan has lost two straight and seems to have been figured out. Not testing the waters at all, Winston goes straight for the kill shot of Paper... and the pattern holds, as khaan's Rock has failed him once again.
    Winston Hughes defeats seireikhaan

Standings through Day 9:
    *atheotes: 6
    Winston Hughes: 5
    Zack: 5
    *Al Sipsclar: 5
    Jolt: 4.5
    Visorslash: 4.5
    Myrddraal: 4
    Sigurd: 4
    El Barto: 3
    *BSmith: 3

* - still to go on bye
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is now Day 10!

Day 10 matchups:

Zack vs. BSmith
    Jolt vs. El Barto
    atheotes vs. seireikhaan
    edse vs. Winston Hughes
    Sigurd vs. Visorslash
    Csargo vs. Myrddraal
    Al Sipsclar (bye)

Blog Entries

Day 9 results - betting

A great cheer went up after Winston's victory over seireikhaan, as quite a few people bet on khaan's predictability coming back to bite him. That said, the Winston's victory only caused many people to break even for the day. Two of the people who bet on each of the day's matches - Myrddraal and Zack - were down five gold until their final wager on Winston. edse, up five gold, bet on khaan, meaning all of that betting happened for nothing, because of course it did.

The only person to profit from the day's scoring was, naturally, atheotes. Picking his spots instead of putting down blanket wagers, atheotes raked in a cool 20 gold from betting on Winston and 10 more from controversially picking Zack over himself. This is leaving people to wonder if he threw the match in order to solidify his hold over first place in the betting race while predicting that nobody can catch him in the tournament itself.

Bettors:
    atheotes - 160
    Zack - 105
    Al Sipsclar - 102
    Csargo - 100
    edse - 98
    El Barto - 90
    Winston Hughes - 90
    seireikhaan - 90
    Myrddraal - 75
    BSmith - 20

Bold to win, 20 on each.

Zack vs. BSmith
    Jolt vs. El Barto
    atheotes vs. seireikhaan
    Last edited by Winston Hughes; 03-09-2016 at 20:26.

Winners in bold. 5 gold each. Against bank, unless someone wants to pick opposites.

Zack vs. BSmith
    Jolt vs. El Barto
    atheotes vs. seireikhaan
    edse vs. Winston Hughes
    Sigurd vs. Visorslash
    Csargo vs. Myrddraal

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Twenty doubloon on edse not losin'.
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Bold to win, five gold on each...

Zack vs. BSmith
    Jolt vs. El Barto
    atheotes vs. seireikhaan
    edse vs. Winston Hughes
    Sigurd vs. Visorslash
    Csargo vs. Myrddraal

Ye be bettin' against me! I bain't havin' that, Myrddraal.

Five doubloon on Csargo then, again' the bank, an' another five on him against anyone wha wants ta take the bet, first come, first served.

Blog Entries

Waiting on @Csargo.

Blog Entries

All orders received, give me an hour or so.

Lot of money riding on me to win...

Blog Entries

Day 10 results

The noise emanating from the stadium isn't particularly rhythmic, nor is it organized. It is not focused, directed, or about anything in particular. What it is, however, is loud. All-encompassing. It threatens to swallow up the contestants whole if they're unable to deal with the immense pressure on their shoulders. The question of if the contestants are able to is a private matter, one that will soon be answered today. And tomorrow, and over the rest of the round robin. And, should they be so lucky, their final exam will come in the knockout round.

But first, they have to get there. And with the crowd mindlessly cheering and with Al Sipsclar enjoying a well-deserved bye, the players prepare themselves for the storm as the referee walks out, acknowledges the contestants, and raises his hand in the air.

Can anyone stop Zack? He's won four matchups in a row including taking down first place atheotes, but BSmith is going to give it a try. He's bought himself a modicum of breathing room between him and last place edse with his win over Csargo, but this is still going to be a very tough ask. After all, Zack has rebounded from a terrible start and has steamrolled all comers lately. BSmith, for his part, doesn't go down so easily, as he matches Zack's Paper with his own. As a matter of fact, BSmith doesn't go down at all. On the rethrow he once again proves himself equal to his opponent by throwing Scissors, as does Zack. With the first draw in the tournament since Round 5, both contestants are reasonably satisfied with the result... but the bettors, on the other hand, are not.
    Zack and BSmith draw

Jolt and El Barto face off next in a battle for positioning. Jolt saw his streak snapped yesterday with a tough loss to Sigurd and wants to start another one, but Barto is motivated to keep pace with BSmith and make sure he doesn't fall in danger of getting the dreaded #13 seed. The end result sees the draws apparently making up for lost time, as after a four-day drought we now have two in two matches. The initial throw for both men is Paper, as is the follow-up.
    Jolt and El Barto draw

The matchup between atheotes and seireikhaan has an air of impatience to it. Everybody knows what's going to happen, after all. khaan is going to throw Rock, atheotes will be ready for it, collect his point, and the world will move on. The only question is if atheotes will play cautious and throw Rock first before switching to Paper, or skip the formality and just go for Paper right away. In the end, atheotes opts for caution, starting with Rock, fully expecting things to go to the rethrow. But then, something happens. After nearly two entire tournaments and over six years, khaan has broken from his pattern. Perhaps realizing his position is more tenuous than what it was earlier in the tournament, perhaps wanting to score a major victory against the current leader, or, most probably, just wanting to throw some chaos into the equation, does something different. But this is where atheotes's caution pays off. Because, for the first time, khaan has thrown something besides Rock. Unfortunately for him, it is Scissors.
    atheotes defeats seireikhaan

After that shock result (and khaan's subsequent temper tantrum, and atheotes's laughter in disbelief), the matchup between edse and Winston Hughes is greeted with muted anticipation. With both BSmith and El Barto drawing, edse really needs a victory here if he is to have any hope of avoiding the unlucky #13 seed, but he faces stiff opposition in Winston, who was in second place at the start of the day and is angling for a top four seed. In the end, edse's misery is compounded as his hopeful throw of Scissors - and his chances of making the knockout round - is crushed by Winston's Rock.
    Winston Hughes defeats edse

Up next is the rematch from last tournament's finals: Sigurd vs. Visorslash. Naturally, the stakes are significantly lower now than what they were last time, but this is still an important match. Sigurd, still haunted by that result, has studied it in great detail. In the championship, they both started with Scissors. On the rethrow, Sigurd, thinking Visor wouldn't move, switched over to Rock, but Visor correctly predicted this, threw Paper, and won the championship. By Sigurd's reasoning, Visor liked to switch things up. So he wouldn't be expecting Sigurd to lead with what lost him the title last time. With all of this in mind, Sigurd throws Rock... but history repeats itself, and Visor throws Paper to improve his record against the Dragonslayer to 3-0 all time. For Sigurd's sake, he hopes he avoids Visor in the knockout round - if he makes it to the knockout round at all.
    Visorslash defeats Sigurd

Day 10's final match sees Csargo face off against Myrddraal. Both of these contestants started the match day with 4 points, right in the middle of the pack. With the other two at 4 points - khaan and Sigurd - both losing, a victory here would all but guarantee the winner safety from the dreaded #13 and give them an outside chance of making the top four. Gripping stakes indeed, and ultimately it is Csargo who launches himself ahead, with a correct throw of Paper to counter Myrddraal's Rock.
    Csargo defeats Myrddraal

Standings through Day 10:
    *atheotes: 7
    Winston Hughes: 6
    Zack: 5.5
    Visorslash: 5.5
    Al Sipsclar: 5
    Jolt: 5
    Csargo: 5
    Myrddraal: 4
    Sigurd: 4
    El Barto: 3.5
    *BSmith: 3.5

* - still to go on bye
    Everyone with at least 4.5 points has clinched a spot in the knockout round. El Barto has the tiebreaker over edse should it come down to that. All other possible tiebreakers to avoid the #13 seed against edse are either yet to be decided or will come down to a sudden death throw.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is now Day 11!

Day 11 matchups:

Zack vs. El Barto
    Jolt vs. seireikhaan
    Al Sipsclar vs. Winston Hughes
    atheotes vs. Visorslash
    edse vs. Myrddraal
    Sigurd vs. Csargo
    BSmith (bye)

Blog Entries

Day 10 results - betting

More and more people are putting money on whoever goes up against seireikhaan, and after a huge scare, they are rewarded for doing so. The khaan results help a lot of people out - Winston ends the day up 20 and Myrddraal does up 10. It also allows Zack to break even for the day. El Barto, who did not bet on the khaan matchup, ends the day down 5 (nobody took his side bet, which would have allowed him to break even). All who picked winners for the Zack/BSmith and Jolt/Barto matchups were refunded their gold, as these ended in draws.

One person, though, has busted out. khaan, who knew exactly what he was going to throw against atheotes, made a private wager that he would upset the front-runner. He put all of his remaining 90 gold on himself to win - and then atheotes was cautious and blew up his plan. The result is that khaan has become the first person to lose all of his gold - a far cry from his halycon days of when he had a share of first place and 190 gold in the bank. Most of the other bettors seem to be holding back laughter when they hear about this result.

Bettors:
    atheotes - 160
    Winston Hughes - 110
    Zack - 105
    Al Sipsclar - 102
    Csargo - 100
    edse - 98
    El Barto - 85
    Myrddraal - 85
    BSmith - 20
    seireikhaan - BUSTED

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Most of the other bettors seem to be holding back laughter when they hear about this result.
    Most being the operative word.
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Haha

Hah

Ha
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Members thankful for this post (2):

20 gold on Zack.

20 gold on Jolt.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast