Thread: A short tutorial of making unit graphic with Poser

Default A short tutorial of making unit graphic with Poser

@Stazi so this is the tutorial you have requested.

Notice: this post is unfinished and under editing. Done.

Poser:
    First, you need the software Poser, TBH, I don't know which version of Poser should you use. Kinboat use Poser 4, UtahJazz7 use Poser 5, I use Poser 6, they're all work fine, but some one has reported problems with a newer version of Poser.

The template
    (sorry, I have uploaded the wrong template, please re-download it)
    MTW-New Unit Setup.rar
    Download this template and put it into your Poser root folder.

It is made by Kinboat, I adjust it to make it suitable for making MTW unit.

The template include the setting of camera, lighting, shadow, background, etc.

Example files:
    These files are used as examples in this tutorial:

Please download the 'Complete Swordsman and Halberdier Animations' from this thread. Extract the ZIP file and put the 'Custom Poses' folder your Poser\Runtime\libraries\Pose directory.

Please download the 'A Knight in armor' from this thread. Extract the ZIP file and put the 'Runtime' folder your Poser root directory.

Step 1: open the template
    Now, open Poser, then File->Open, open the MTW-New Unit Setup.pz3 you have already downloaded.

Now, you got this:

Step 2: import the figure model

Open the Library->Figures->New figures

Double click the 'Armour'

Now, the figure model is into the preview window:

Save. File-> Save as... save it as MTW-swordsman.PZ3

Step 3: import the poses

Go to the library again, now go to Poses-> Custom Poses-> Emp Sword

The swordsman poses you have already download are stored here. Now we start from the default pose, double click the 'ES Default'.

Now we adapted the standing pose to our fugure:

As you can see, the left hand is little out of the shield, because the pose is not specially design for this figure. Now click the shield in the preview window, a setting window will open, let's set the yRotate to 188.

Now you can press Fn+Prt Sc to take a screenshot, cut down the preview windoe part of the screenshot and save the image. As the edge of model in the preview window is 100% sharp--no transitional pixels around the figure, the image can be directly use to create the BIF frame.

Then we change the camera angle, click to open the main camera controler, pull down, set YOrbit to -72, take screenshot, save the image.

Change the YOrbit -108 and -144, repeat the progress above.

Step 4: Attack/Run and other poses

Open the MTW-swordsman.PZ3 you have saved in step2.

Go to the library, this time we adapt the ES Run pose.

Adjust the shield

Take screenshot

Go to frame controler, click 'Step Forward' to go the next frame, take screenshot. Repeat this until you have taken screenshots of all 15 frames, but you can skip the 4,8,12 frame.

Now back to frame 1(IMPORTANT!!!!), set the camera angle to -72, repeat the progress above.

Back to frame 1(IMPORTANT!!!!), set the camera angle to -108, repeat the progress above.

Back to frame 1(IMPORTANT!!!!), set the camera angle to -144, repeat the progress above.

Repeat ALL these progress above until you have taken screenshots of ALL 15 frames in ALL camera angles of ALL poses you need.

Step 5

Cut and paste the screenshots you have taken to the right places of 12 MTW frames.

Need great patience.

----------------------------END----------------------------

Pleas ask me if you have any question.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	801 
Size:	598.4 KB 
ID:	17702   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	822 
Size:	564.9 KB 
ID:	17703   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	780 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	17704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	791 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	17705   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	758 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	17706  

Last edited by zweihander; 03-01-2016 at 10:59.

Member thankful for this post:

Stazi 

Default Re: A short tutorial of making unit graphic with Poser

sorry, I have uploaded the wrong template, please re-download it
    MTW-New Unit Setup.rar

Thanks again for the detailed tutorial. Really helped me to start learning the basics. I'd like to add one thing to speed up the process:
    - You can go Animation > Make Movie (or just CTRL + J) and you get this window:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Obraz 5.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	17708

Set Format to Image Files and Renderer to Preview. You can also change the resolution of the frames in lower left corner and then click Make Movie. It'll save all the animation frames and they will be perfectly aligned. Of course, you have to do this for all 4 angles but it's a lot faster than taking screenshots of all frames manually.

EDIT

Hmm.. What about your models you've made for Civ4 and 5? Can we use them? They're more detailed and have better textures than those for Civ3. I wonder if they were made with Poser or other modeling app?
    Last edited by Stazi; 03-01-2016 at 19:49.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Member thankful for this post:

Millon thanks! This method is much more convinient!

Well, of course we can use them. But actually I have totally no idea how to important then into MTW, Civ4 models are in NIF format, Civ5's are in BLender format. Both are not use Poser.

Quote Originally Posted by zweihander View Post
    Well, of course we can use them. But actually I have totally no idea how to important then into MTW, Civ4 models are in NIF format, Civ5's are in BLender format. Both are not use Poser.
    The most of 3d modellers can import/export to .OBJ format. Please, upload any unit (with animation) in format that works in Blender and I'll see if can handle it.

Millon thanks! This method is much more convinient!
    I've also found a method of getting rid of artifacts on the edge of the model too (those pixels with color similar to background). Interested?
    Last edited by Stazi; 03-02-2016 at 08:48.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    The most of 3d modellers can import/export to .OBJ format. Please, upload any unit (with animation) in format that works in Blender and I'll see if can handle it.
    Rodeleros.rar
    Ok. Here is the Rodeleros model. Include the .blender file, 4 textures and the animations files. However, I never deal with the animations in Civ5 modding, since the animations file are separate from the model itself, I(and also other Civ5 modders) always use the animations in Civ5 game.

I still suggest to wait if Imperator can give us some of his Poser model. Civ3 Poser models may be more suitable...

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    I've also found a method of getting rid of artifacts on the edge of the model too (those pixels with color similar to background). Interested?
    Of course I'm interested. But... in Poser the edge of the model is 100% sharp, isn't it?

Rodeleros.rarOf course I'm interested. But... in Poser the edge of the model is 100% sharp, isn't it?
    Ok, you're right. I've just found a little inconsistency in my renders so I need to investigate it further.