Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bomb attacks on Brussels airport

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: Bomb attacks on Brussels airport

This is not something that I wanted as a part of Holy Week. More people to add to my prayers and fewer people who can focus on life's joys.

All very sad.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Are our Belgian Orgahs safe?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

LeftEyeNine might be in Belgium now.
    Wooooo!!!

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Not in Brussels don't worry

http://www.dn.se/nyheter/varlden/ter...angladdningar/

In Swedish press apparently the airport bombers had plans for even bigger explosions, but they could not fit all of their luggage into the taxi. Thank God they did not get the bigger taxi that they had ordered, or the death tole might be multiples higher. Two of the five suitcases were left where they took the taxi and have now been taken in by the police, and with only two bombs out of five detonating this could have been a whole lot worse. Even taking into account that the second bomb was placed where people would be running. Meanwhile in Delhi they wouldn't even have been able to get to the airport parking lot.

Towards the end of the article it is made clear that a trio of would be terrorists were arrested in Germany after having fled Belgium. The arrests were made possible thanks to anonymous tips, in true Fragony style, should we guess the religion of the people who gave the tip? Given that there was no international warrant for these guys and nobody knew their faces, it would have to be someone close to them...
    Last edited by Snowhobbit; 03-23-2016 at 07:52.

Am I a trademark now lol. Tips probably were from Absesalam who was at the Paris massacre. All in all this attack is a bit of a fail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI6dxjxq4Fw

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Am I a trademark now lol. Tips probably were from Absesalam who was at the Paris massacre. All in all this attack is a bit of a fail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI6dxjxq4Fw
    So while in isolation from the outside world he had very intimate knowledge of their whereabouts? If it was Abdesalam then they would not have been arrested yesterday but earlier. But go on, you can keep on hating the Muslims, we all know that is what you do best.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowhobbit View Post
    So while in isolation from the outside world he had very intimate knowledge of their whereabouts? If it was Abdesalam then they would not have been arrested yesterday but earlier. But go on, you can keep on hating the Muslims, we all know that is what you do best.
    Oh sigh, Abdesalam wanted to exchange knowledge of upcomming attacks because he didn't want to get deported to France. Attacks have been prevented all over Europe. And yeah I hate muslims I'll tell fuck off

Are you one of those who think it's inconceivable (princess bride tune) that IS sends troops to Europe and radicals infest homegrowns, tickle me if you want to make me laugh

I don't hate muslims I just hate islam (look up what the word means for me please)
    Last edited by Fragony; 03-23-2016 at 09:36.

Oh sigh, Abdesalam wanted to exchange knowledge of upcomming attacks because he didn't want to get deported to France. Attacks have been prevented all over Europe. And yeah I hate muslims I'll tell fuck off

Are you one of those who think it's inconceivable (princess bride tune) that IS sends troops to Europe and radicals infest homegrowns, tickle me if you want to make me laugh

I don't hate muslims I just hate islam
    Of course he did, but somehow I don't think part of the attack plan is to run away like rats from a sinking ship. Attacks are prevented regularly, these guys are most likely somehow connected to the broader network that planned the attacks yesterday and the Paris November strike.
    Last edited by Beskar; 03-23-2016 at 18:42.

Keeping to the topic, the third bombman and supposedly chief bomb-maker of ISIS has just been arrested! Good job!

From the BBC livefeed:

A suspect arrested in Brussels this morning was not Najim Laachraoui, thought to be one of three men in a CCTV image taken before the Zaventem airport attack, some Belgian media are now saying

The newspaper, DH, which first reported the story, says the man detained earlier on Wednesday in the Anderlecht district had been misidentified.

Police and prosecutors have not commented on the reports and are due to hold a news conference within the next hour.

The press conference has now been held and the third bomb-man is unfortunately still on the run.
    My most humble and sincere apologies to everyone who reads the thread for posting news updates and not letting Fragony spew his hatred all over the thread, I am truly honestly sorry for sharing information on the attacks and the aftermath, as well as discussing ways to prevent this directly and indirectly.

Obviously there is not much more to be discussed about islamist terror attacks unless someone wants to volunteer and argue that they're justified or a good thing for his arms sales?

Volunteers?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Obviously there is not much more to be discussed about islamist terror attacks unless someone wants to volunteer and argue that they're justified or a good thing for his arms sales?

Volunteers?
    Well it is still possible to discuss further developments to the stories as well as various ways of preventing further attacks like this.

I just read that the suit-case bombs were full of small metal objects, which is why there are so many injured, their limbs have been taken off or shredded. Fortunately it seems that the bombs exploded around knee level on the trolleys, if they had been chest-high the death-toll might be in the hundreds instead. I suppose we should count the small blessings we get.

No Hussie as I wrote it is perfectly fine, what you write isn't, neither in combination with nor is a double negative. If you want to be a grammar-nazi at least be good at it.
    Husar is perfectly right. Neither nor is not a double negation but a paired preposition, so what he says about its usage is correct.

Now on topic: what was Russian officials' reaction to the latest events in Brussels
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...sels-bombings/
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 03-23-2016 at 14:03.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Husar is perfectly right. Neither nor is not a double negation but a paired preposition, so what he says about its usage is correct.

Now on topic: what Zhirinovsky thinks of the latest events in Brussels and in Europe generally
    http://newsme.com.ua/en/world/3340494/
    The English in that article is a bit lacking so it is hard to get the exact message of what he is trying to say. But he seems to be saying it is good for Russia that civilians in Europe are being killed by terrorists? That is a disgusting thing to say, and he is head of the Duma, which I presume means he is the Speaker? Not sure why such a person got that position, maybe it is not as important in Russia? At least Putin clearly condemned it, hopefully the meeting the Kerry will produce some results or future actions to be undertaken.

Now on topic: what Zhirinovsky thinks of the latest events in Brussels and in Europe generally
    http://newsme.com.ua/en/world/3340494/
    No he's not, it's neither or or nor. More interested in what Snowhobbit has to say atm

Quote Originally Posted by Snowhobbit View Post
    The English in that article is a bit lacking so it is hard to get the exact message of what he is trying to say. But he seems to be saying it is good for Russia that civilians in Europe are being killed by terrorists? That is a disgusting thing to say, and he is head of the Duma, which I presume means he is the Speaker? Not sure why such a person got that position, maybe it is not as important in Russia? At least Putin clearly condemned it, hopefully the meeting the Kerry will produce some results or future actions to be undertaken.
    I linked another article with a better command of English and a greater gamut of opinions from Russia's top officials. Yet it doesn't cancel what Zhirinovsky said. And some correction: Znirinovsky is an ex-speaker of Duma (was one in 2010-11). They say he proclaims openly what Putin thinks but is too cautious to spill out.
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 03-23-2016 at 15:01.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

I linked another article with a better command of English and a greater gamut of opinions from Russia's top officials. Yet it doesn't cancel what Zhirinovsky said. And some correction: Znirinovsky is an ex-speaker of Duma (was one in 2010-11). They say he proclaims openly what Putin thinks but is too cautious to spill out.
    Was my estimation of what Zhirinovsky said correct? And who are they?

Scoring cheap domestic points on a foreign tragedy is sadly all too common, and can especially be expected of a Russia which has decided to try to reclaim its former super-power status. Fortunately there are more sane and level-headed politicians, such as the Moscow Mayor and Mr Putin himself. Taking a broader view, more international cooperation against terrorism is needed to stop the mindless violence which strikes all over the world. Russia, Asian countries and not the least the Arab world which is the main financier of this madness.

Also since Russia managed to get NATO on topic, does anyone think Belgium will invoke Article 5 same as France did?

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

integrate harder.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    integrate harder.
    They said on the radio that in France, Germany and a few other countries it is indeed so that a lot of people radicalize due to their bad circumstances, living in the banlieus or what they're called. On the other hand in the UK being a radical islamist is the new punk, where bored rich kids want to rebel against their parents.
    In countries like Iraq, where muslims were integrated much better, it does not look better though. It is a poorer country however compared to France or Belgium.

Germany has so far had 12 attempts at an attack since 2001, 11 of which were prevented by the police, partially due to cooperation with other countries, specifically the US. The one that was not prevented was a failure I think. But that is where I'd begin in order to stop it, give the police the means to stop them before they happen instead of trying to stop people from gathering or something like that.

The soft factors that you mention also count. If our country is more loveable, it will be harder for radicals to tell children that it isn't.

Or be like the Vizegrat-countries and just don't let islam in. There is no islamic terrorism if there is no islam
    Last edited by Fragony; 03-23-2016 at 17:23.

Or be like the Vizegrat-countries and just don't let islam in. There is no islamic terrorism if there is no islam
    Define islam.

Answers in new thread, please! - Beskar
    Last edited by Beskar; 03-24-2016 at 00:41.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    They said on the radio that in France, Germany and a few other countries it is indeed so that a lot of people radicalize due to their bad circumstances, living in the banlieus or what they're called. On the other hand in the UK being a radical islamist is the new punk, where bored rich kids want to rebel against their parents.
    In countries like Iraq, where muslims were integrated much better, it does not look better though. It is a poorer country however compared to France or Belgium.

Germany has so far had 12 attempts at an attack since 2001, 11 of which were prevented by the police, partially due to cooperation with other countries, specifically the US. The one that was not prevented was a failure I think. But that is where I'd begin in order to stop it, give the police the means to stop them before they happen instead of trying to stop people from gathering or something like that.

The soft factors that you mention also count. If our country is more loveable, it will be harder for radicals to tell children that it isn't.
    Let's see if the Belgian attackers were second generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Let's see if the Belgian attackers were second generation.
    The ones identified so far have been second generation immigrants with roots from north Africa originally.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Keep personal attacks to a minimum. This is not debate user thread, it is one devoted to some appalling attacks in Belgium. Violence is never good.

Edit: I deleted 25 posts. If this happens again, I am giving everyone involved a time-out.
    Last edited by Beskar; 03-23-2016 at 19:05.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

"They said on the radio that in France, Germany and a few other countries it is indeed so that a lot of people radicalize due to their bad circumstances, living in the banlieus or what they're called" What THEY say is simply not true.
    First of all, not many radicalised, reason why the terrorists came from Belgium. Can I remind here that France has (had?) the biggest number of "Muslims", most of them atheists anyway.
    Khaled Kelkal, the first of the home grown Muslim killer was a student at Lyon III La Doua, in Sciences... Boualen Benasaid was a sport teacher. The 2 thugs involved in this attack of Charlie Hebdo were indeed drugs dealers, but their brother and sister, raised in the same background are successful in their chosen carriers.
    This is the usual story. The criminals choose to go for a ideology based on slavery, murder and racism. It is not due to social backgrounds or I would have done the same. So my brothers, sisters and family. I heard this on the BBC this morning. Made my blood boiling. Stop trying to find excuse. They decide to kill people and put bomb in dreaming of free virgins because they are looser, for the ones blowing themselves. The ones making money in selling oil to Turkey are all alive, and live well.
    I lived in banlieux, so all my friends. It is not great, but it is cheap rent, and you can move from it. They are not ghetto, only if self inflicted. Not that life is rosy and tender, but it is not SOWETO.
    Last edited by Brenus; 03-23-2016 at 20:34.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    Stop trying to find excuse.
    What excuse? Who said poverty is an excuse for murder?
    Stop making things up.

Blog Entries

So I read that the belgium police asked a Teacher to stop tweeting after he reported that his muslim students cheered the brussels attack.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I'm not sure what to make of it, the proof is on twitter but it's just one guy's word, and a very ambiguous word at that.

I cant read dutch and google translate is as useful as ever, can anyone give a proper translation? I think I'm missing something because of the language barrier.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 03-24-2016 at 01:15.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    So I read that the belgium police asked a Teacher to stop tweeting after he reported that his muslim students cheered the brussels attack.

I'm not sure what to make of it, the proof is on twitter but it's just one guy's word, and a very ambiguous word at that.

I cant read dutch and google translate is as useful as ever, can anyone give a proper translation? I think I'm missing something because of the language barrier.
    It says "How can you teach when there are muslim kids in your class applauding?"

The guy in question isn't a teacher in the usual sense though - he's a yoga instructor. He says his tweets were inspired by some facebook comments he saw from muslim kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec View Post
    It says "How can you teach when there are muslim kids in your class applauding?"

The guy in question isn't a teacher in the usual sense though - he's a yoga instructor. He says his tweets were inspired by some facebook comments he saw from muslim kids.
    So.. He extrapolates from facebook (which may well be a fake post) that his students are clapping while they are not, and thus he cannot teach and needs to spread hatred against minority groups? Shouldn't yoga instructors have enough "inner peace" to not mix internet rumors with actual reality? If there were actual people in his class applauding I'm sure there are ways more efficient than Twitter to get them to stop...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast