Thread: Accusations of racism versus accurate questions about understanding of basic concepts

Default Accusations of racism versus accurate questions about understanding of basic concepts

Why is it that certain backroom moderators feel that it is ok for days to go and without justification call people full-blown racists, but not ok to question why certain members are unable to grasp basic concepts like numbers or age?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Accusations of racism versus accurate questions about understanding of basic conc

Not sure what the first part is referring to, as for the latter...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowhobbit View Post
    ...not ok to question why certain members are unable to grasp basic concepts like numbers or age?
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowhobbit
    Hello Lizardo. I see that we can add illiteracy to your issues. Polls are polls and elections are elections. Have you managed to figure out the concept of age groups yet, or are you still sticking crayons up your nose?
    This doesn't fall under the definition of "simple questioning" being implied.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Default Re: Accusations of racism versus accurate questions about understanding of basic conc

To be fair he said "accurate questions". What is an accurate question? Is there such a thing as an inaccurate question?

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Not sure what the first part is referring to, as for the latter...

This doesn't fall under the definition of "simple questioning" being implied.
    Well you see when a certain moderator lets a user keep on accusing someone of racism in a thread that the same moderator posts in without acting, this to an outside view looks as approval of the behaviour which is not being sanctioned.

The question was a fairly simple one, it has to be given the target audience. No complex words or concepts like numbers or age or election. The question is indeed accurate and does not veer off the subject.

Who accused you of racism?

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardo View Post
    Who accused you of racism?
    Gaius for the course of several days, you have to my knowledge not accused me of racism. Beskar saw fit to have him keep on doing this for days.

Since racism is a set of beliefs and not an innate characteristic does calling someone a racist break forum rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuuvi View Post
    Since racism is a set of beliefs and not an innate characteristic does calling someone a racist break forum rules?
    It can also be viewed as a personal attack, but since Beskar does not believe it is, it seems we get some uneven moderating. Hooahguy was quite clear with me that calling someone a racist is against forum rules. But it is a pretty sad state where the moderation is so uneven.

Blog Entries

I haven't seen Gaius call you a racist. I just went through his posts going back to Feb, and I still didn't see him calling you racist.

Are you imagining these attacks like the other accusations?

As for your question @Tuuvi, it depends on context. If you person A says "green people are overgrown monkeys who should return to mars", clearly you could say "hey you, person A, that is clearly racist." because it is. if person A was talking about peanut butter tasting better than marmite, and someone goes "that is because you got poor opinion, as a racist!" then it frowned upon.
    Last edited by Beskar; 04-08-2016 at 10:07.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

I haven't seen Gaius call you a racist. I just went through his posts going back to Feb, and I still didn't see him calling you racist.

Are you imagining these attacks like the other accusations?

As for your question @Tuuvi, it depends on context. If you person A says "green people are overgrown monkeys who should return to mars", clearly you could say "hey you, person A, that is clearly racist." because it is. if person A was talking about peanut butter tasting better than marmite, and someone goes "that is because you got poor opinion, as a racist!" then it frowned upon.
    "Why do you hate black people" does not translate to you as calling someone a racist? Maybe you should take some English lessons from Hooahguy then. Or is it a normal thing in your daily life to hate black people and as such you do not think it strange?

I am unable to edit my post, so please excuse the double post.

According to my conversation with Hooahguy he would talk to you about it not being acceptable to accuse people of being racists with no grounds. Did you forget that conversation already?

Blog Entries

"Why do you hate black people" does not translate to you as calling someone a racist? Maybe you should take some English lessons from Hooahguy then. Or is it a normal thing in your daily life to hate black people and as such you do not think it strange?
    I haven't seen this post. Hard to comment when I haven't seen where this is stated or the context it was given.

Though interestingly, you are objecting to someone implying you are racist, then you suggest I am a racist without any proof or argument?

Stop trolling.

I haven't seen this post. Hard to comment when I haven't seen where this is stated or the context it was given.

Though interestingly, you are objecting to someone implying you are racist, then you suggest I am a racist without any proof or argument?

Stop trolling.
    What do you call someone who hates black people for being black? I would say that is one description of a racist.

So what does it mean when someone keeps asking you why you hate black people? I would say it means that they are calling you a racist.

What does it mean when the moderator does not interfere with the person doing this? It implies that the moderator thinks it is ok, whether this is because the moderator thinks it is not an insult, possibly because he is used in his daily life to people holding such views, and thus they are normal, or if he thinks it is ok for other reasons, is unknown. I did not call you a racist, I implied that the people around you to a certain degree are racists. Please read what I write and do not infer from what I write something that I have not. That would be actual trolling.

Your refusal to act against people calling others racists is indeed proof of you not acting against people calling others racist. Not sure that this needs even more explaining, but do let me know if I have to further elaborate this.

Stop trolling.
    Additionally you have made posts in that thread. Presumably you do read the posts in a thread that you reply to? Again sorry for the double-post, I do not have the ability to edit due to uneven moderating.

Blog Entries

Snowhobbit, I am going to be honest with you here.

Your "Questions" are not questions. They are an means of you to avoid accountability and trying to justify your use of personal attacks against other members. You then bring up a case of Gaius, something that has not been reported previously to start with, and I am spending significantly more time trying to find this than I should, and still haven't found it.

So I am taking the decision to no longer continue with your 'goose chases', and it is clear that your goal with this thread is not to have any answers, but to what is termed over as here "arguing the toss", which means you are arguing for the sake of arguing, as urban dictionary describes it: An idiom meaning to stubbornly quibble over something inconsequential, irrelevant, minor or off-topic.This is something you have done on many occasions, and it is something I don't have to concern myself with.

This thread falls under the above definition, and my future interactions with you will be based on whether or not I deem a further response as necessary.
    Last edited by Beskar; 04-08-2016 at 11:23.

Snowhobbit, I am going to be honest with you here.

Your "Questions" are not questions. They are an means of you to avoid accountability and trying to justify your use of personal attacks against other members. You then bring up a case of Gaius, something that has not been reported previously to start with, and I am spending significantly more time trying to find this than I should, and still haven't found it.

So I am taking the decision to no longer continue with your 'goose chases', and it is clear that your goal with this thread is not to have any answers, but to what is termed over as here "arguing the toss", which means you are arguing for the sake of arguing, as urban dictionary describes it: An idiom meaning to stubbornly quibble over something inconsequential, irrelevant, minor or off-topic.This is something you have done on many occasions, and it is something I don't have to concern myself with.

This thread falls under the above definition, and my future interactions with you will be based on whether or not I deem a further response as necessary.
    TL:DR I am unable to defend my views on racism in public for fear of how people would think of me.
    Or is it a moderator-exclusive privilege to misrepresent people using TL:DR?

So to be clear, it is horrible to question people due to their inability to draw fairly simple conclusions/their persistance in drawing completely wrong conclusions but it is not questionable to call people racist in the esteemed view of the honourable not-at-all-questionable-views-on-racism Beskar, and therefore it does not need to be explained why one of the two is ok but not the other?

I do not consider accusations of racism, or racism, to be inconsequential, but if you do that would certainly explain why you think it is ok.

There is a difference between calling someone a racist and calling someone stupid. You can stop being a racist from one minute to the next but you can't become more intelligent just because you want to.

People have been called racist here long before Beskar moderated the Backroom and just because you don't like being called something that does not mean it has to be against the rules. We've had cases before of people who didn't like to be called racists even though a lot of people thought that it was objectively the case that they made racist statements.

If you can prove that Lizardo stuck Crayons up his nose, maybe you can have an argument about whether your own questions were justified.
    Even if Gaius had no good reason to say you hate black people, neither did you for insinuating that he beats his wife -> you started it -> cry me a river...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    There is a difference between calling someone a racist and calling someone stupid. You can stop being a racist from one minute to the next but you can't become more intelligent just because you want to.

People have been called racist here long before Beskar moderated the Backroom and just because you don't like being called something that does not mean it has to be against the rules. We've had cases before of people who didn't like to be called racists even though a lot of people thought that it was objectively the case that they made racist statements.

If you can prove that Lizardo stuck Crayons up his nose, maybe you can have an argument about whether your own questions were justified.
    Even if Gaius had no good reason to say you hate black people, neither did you for insinuating that he beats his wife -> you started it -> cry me a river...
    Is being unable to understand chronology a issue unique to you, or is it more widespread? As for who asked what first, I suggest you check these things called time stamps on the posts. They might clue you in to when you are lying to make a point. Are classical philosophical questions not included in German education?

Since I have not made racist statements, I presume that it is then ok if I follow you on the forum and call you a Nazi, with no proof for the claim? Or shall we play selectively applied rules again?

Is being unable to understand chronology a issue unique to you, or is it more widespread? As for who asked what first, I suggest you check these things called time stamps on the posts. They might clue you in to when you are lying to make a point. Are classical philosophical questions not included in German education?

Since I have not made racist statements, I presume that it is then ok if I follow you on the forum and call you a Nazi, with no proof for the claim? Or shall we play selectively applied rules again?
    Prove your accusation and link to the relevant posts. Otherwise I'll assume you don't know the exact timestamps any better than I do and try to distract from you being an ass in most of the discussions you enter by insulting my intelligence.
    I will gladly admit that my memory is off if you link to the relevant posts and my chronology turns out to be wrong.

Otherwise, cry me a river...

Prove your accusation and link to the relevant posts. Otherwise I'll assume you don't know the exact timestamps any better than I do and try to distract from you being an ass in most of the discussions you enter by insulting my intelligence.
    I will gladly admit that my memory is off if you link to the relevant posts and my chronology turns out to be wrong.

Otherwise, cry me a river...
    What is with admin people always asking me to link them to things that I cannot access? Do you walk around telling people in wheelchairs to run marathons?

You can easily go to the thread or search Gaius posts to see that you are lying.

Meanwhile please explain why you support gassing of Jews as a final solution Husar.

Snow hobbit you're becoming ridiculous now, if someone calls you racist for nothing cal him an asshole plain and simple don't pay attention now you're using these dirty tactics saying Husar is a Nazi Jew hater. Please stop whinging and whining

What is with admin people always asking me to link them to things that I cannot access? Do you walk around telling people in wheelchairs to run marathons?

You can easily go to the thread or search Gaius posts to see that you are lying.
    So you admit that you have no idea when the posts were actually made and have no facts to back up your accusation that my memory is wrong?
    So maybe you're the one lying, the next quote is a good example of how you like to just make things up:

Meanwhile please explain why you support gassing of Jews as a final solution Husar.
    Yeah, right...
    Last edited by Husar; 04-08-2016 at 18:08.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

What is with admin people always asking me to link them to things that I cannot access?
    What is it that you don't have access to? The Backroom is public now, members and non-members can view the threads.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

So you admit that you have no idea when the posts were actually made and have no facts to back up your accusation that my memory is wrong?
    So maybe you're the one lying, the next quote is a good example of how you like to just make things up:

Yeah, right...
    Please provide a full record of all posts that you have made in the past decade. He started calling me a racist long before I raised a philosophical question many thousand years old to illustrate the dishonest way he was arguing.

So you admit that you are an advocate of a final solution involving gas chambers?

As for the second quote, I am applying the chronological rules of Husar and pre-emptively insulting you with false accusations, which is what you advocate and defend doing.

For Drone, I do not have access to any forums except for the watch tower and entrance hall and no access to PMs due to the unequal application of forum rules by the worse half of the backroom moderator team.

Blog Entries

I think this is appropriate time to close this thread.

I am going to be crystal clear in this statement, my warning will be transparent to avoid accusations from yourself, that I attempt to 'obscure' and 'deceive' other members of this forum.

The members of the forum are no under obligation to be subjected to intolerable behaviour on the part of individuals. @Snowhobbit, on multiple occasions, you have consistently instigated personal attacks on other members of the forum, then cried wolf when they mention anything remotely negative towards you, and on most of these occasions, they have often been misrepresented to say things they have not stated. You have an aggressive and confrontal persona which does not respect the dignity and boundaries of other forum patrons, often arguing with others in an unacceptable manner for the sake of argument, and you have on no occasion, expressed anything remotely resembling remorse and accountability for your own actions.

As a administrator, I have a preferred policy of least restrictive practice. Majority of the forum members are reasonable adults who are able to keep their personal feelings and emotions in check, and instances where they have failed to do so, they have accepted their failure in doing this either through apologising to the other person, apologising to the staff-member involved because they had to act, or accepted repercussions for these actions with dignity. In my role, I fully understand occasions there are topics and posts which can cause high expressed emotions, and it is in my role to be understanding of these patrons and apply any actions in a just and fair manner. Your manner and behaviour is completely at odds with this ethos. Others in the past (no names) who might read this have criticised my actions as being "slow" or "lazy", and believing I should be more pro-active in my actions. On many occasions, I have disliked and ignored these calls because I believe fundamentally, people have the power to chose and change the way to behave.

On this note, this message is your final warning. Any continuation of your current behaviour will be met with my right to revoke your access to these forums, permanently. I am not repeating this offer.
    Last edited by Beskar; 04-09-2016 at 00:18.