Thread: Ghost in the Shell

Default Ghost in the Shell

What do you think of Scarlett Johansson starring in Ghost in the Shell?

Whitewashing of ‘Ghost in a Shell’ is not about Scarlett Johansson

Member thankful for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ghost in the Shell

What the race baiting stuff? Overblown and silly.

The character is a brain that takes control of robot bodies; we don't even know if the brain was originally female so her race is even more cosmetic than usual and her default body is rather ambiguous on that count.

They could have had her played by Whoopi Goldberg and it would still be canonically plausible.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 04-27-2016 at 14:41.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Members thankful for this post (2):

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Whatever everything I enjoy looking at Scarlet. HOT. Also a great thread to post this awesome scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS3PGKUiSco
    Last edited by Fragony; 04-27-2016 at 17:13.

Member thankful for this post:

Honestly, I was surprised when they chose her because I thought someone Asian would get picked. But it's fine by me that she got picked because I always liked her. Anyway, I'm surprised that she's not all natural. I saw her before and after pictures here. She looked good before plastic surgery but she looked great after it. One of the few who actually looked great after plastic surgery lol

She's pale, small height, cleft palate, not an athletic build, slightly overweight, slightly crosseyed and a poor actress, normally you pick hot ones if they are bad actors but shes not even good looking compared to other actresses in the movie industry never understood why they pick her for any movies??

If they pick her the movie will be mediocre

Should've picked carrie-anne moss albeit she's ageing a bit

That korean media outlet is racist too, i bet if a wild west movie gets turned into an anime they wouldnt mind replacing them with an ethnicity that looks like them to their market audience

I dont see any problem with picking a person of caucasian to do a movie for europeans and americans? who are predominately caucasian?
    Last edited by Lizardo; 04-30-2016 at 21:14.

I think she's really pretty really. Carry An Moss would indeed be a better choice though, main character has to look dangerous and I can't see Johanson looking dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by bumpyibexe View Post
    What do you think of Scarlett Johansson starring in Ghost in the Shell?

Whitewashing of ‘Ghost in a Shell’ is not about Scarlett Johansson
    I think he is the writer of that article:

Anyway, in Hollywood movies (especially during the 80s to the 90s), minorities and people of other nationalities such as the Russians and the Chinese were usually depicted as villains in the few Hollywood movies that they were depicted in. A lot of the Russians tell me how they don't like the way they get depicted in the US movies. I understand the dismay at the lack of opportunities for the Asian-Americans in Hollywood. They're the ones who'd feel more about this than the Asians in Asia. At least the Asian celebrities in Asia have plenty of opportunities in their own countries.

That being said, I don't mind having a non-Asian like Scarlett Johansonn be the main character in Ghost in the Shell, except I think Mila Kunis would be a better choice. Johansonn lacks energy in my opinion and she looks like she wouldn't hurt a fly. And it's no surprise to me that there are very few Asians in Hollywood because Asians make up only 5.6 of the US population. We don't see much Europeans or Americans in the Asian movies. There are some in the old Hong Kong movies of the 80s and the 90s and some of them are depicted as British villains. Judging from the Hong Kong movies that I've watched, the non-Han Chinese villains who appear in the Hong Kong movies the most are as follows with the first being the most: the Qing Dynasty rulers (whose ancestors are from Manchuria) > the British > the Japanese
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 05-30-2016 at 19:13.
    Wooooo!!!

If you go watch the original Gits she's as Japanese as I am in terms of looks. Batou and Togusa don't look it. I don't mind them being white, it lends a feeling to the feeling of shells, not being in ones own body anymore. I just mind I don't find her a great actress.

She was fantastic in Lost in translation, so adorable. Don't see her doing this role because she's too cute, but maybe she surprises

To me she just always seems to have a confused face, which is basically the opposite she should have for this movie

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

At first, I was bothered by her pick. But, after hearing people make the case for her and seeing her do a somewhat similar action role in Lucy... I think she can pull it off. Maybe.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln