Thread: Israel Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Default Israel Thread

The context of this post is a couple of UK Labour party MPs being suspended for "anti-semitism" which to my mind looks more like clumsily articulated anti-zionism.

Israel is lucky in it's enemies. For every reasoned, compassionate, logical opponent of the occupation and the apartheid state, there are 3 nutters who come out with "jews=lizards and the holocaust never happened" type nonsense... or the more cynical would say that the media give 3 times as much coverage to the loons and breezes over the reasoned opponents.

So opposition to land grabs, removal of citizenship, home demolitions, detention without trial, destruction of infrastructure, separation of communities and families, etc are characterised as anti-semitic.

My question to those who say critical of Israel = anti-semitism; what would non-anti-semitic criticism of Israel look like?
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: What would non-anti-semitic criticism of Israel look like?

As fair and justified critism I suppose. The critism isn't always fair and justified though, a lot of it.

It would look like an empty glass?
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Naz Shah is more a victim of the runaway train that is identity politics, rather than anti-semtisim.

Labour can only blame themselves. There's an assassination piece on the independent right now whcih has all the trappings of vapid leftist journalism, only being employed by a right winger.
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 04-29-2016 at 14:27.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

A non anti-semitic criticism of Israel looks like the peace-now Israeli movement criticism. Quite easy.
    You don't say Hitler had good reasons, you don't quote the "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion", or mention any international conspiracy.
    You come with the right reason why you are against the actual Israeli's policy.
    You treat Israel as a normal state, in confrontation with others for reason you analyse.
    You don't pretend to be anti-Zionist in order to hind you are anti-Semitic.

A lot of lefties became anti-Semitic in being pro-Palestinian, the righties being anti-Semitic from birth.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Member thankful for this post:

Blog Entries

Anti semetic, anti zionist, either way they're being extremely idiotic about how they express their criticism.

Poor Corbyn, he must be feeling the same sting Cameron does whenever one of his cabnet comes off as hating the working class.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 04-29-2016 at 18:50.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    It would look like an empty glass?
    No country is perfect so we all have issues to deal with. First step is to look at points of commonality, shared interests and then look at the issues.

Even the Amish have internal conflicts, normally limited to cutting off each other's beards... So I'm sure there are issues in Israel even without looking at the elephant in the room.

Name me a country that is perfect and I'll show you a propaganda state... I'm looking at you North Korea.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Question to OP, how are you just not admitting that anti-sematic critism on Israel just exists. I'd like to turn things around. Surily Israel can be critisezed or even hated. But why not hate the rest there or anywhere in the universe and surroundings. Perhaps there just happens to be a thing called anti-semitism?
    Last edited by Fragony; 05-09-2016 at 12:24.

Eh, most of the left doesn't like Israel because Israel is on the right, the country votes largely based on fear and therefore ultra-conservative, has people who believe they have a god-given right to take other peoples' land away (and are hardly stopped by the government when they do it) and so on. Show me another modern country that acts like that and is liked by most people. North Korea, Russia, ISIS?

I think the government has slowly come around to stopping the illegal settlement practices and at the same time it seems criticism has gone down...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    The context of this post is a couple of UK Labour party MPs being suspended for "anti-semitism" which to my mind looks more like clumsily articulated anti-zionism.

Israel is lucky in it's enemies. For every reasoned, compassionate, logical opponent of the occupation and the apartheid state, there are 3 nutters who come out with "jews=lizards and the holocaust never happened" type nonsense... or the more cynical would say that the media give 3 times as much coverage to the loons and breezes over the reasoned opponents.

So opposition to land grabs, removal of citizenship, home demolitions, detention without trial, destruction of infrastructure, separation of communities and families, etc are characterised as anti-semitic.

My question to those who say critical of Israel = anti-semitism; what would non-anti-semitic criticism of Israel look like?
    So is this about Israel or about the problem Labour has with anti-Semitism?

As far as I can tell Naz Shah shared a facebook post which basically said that it would be cheaper, and safer, to ship the entire population of Israel to the US than keep funding Israel. Given that the context of the post was talking about defence spending I suspect the originator was American.

I haven't seen the post but if it was another one of those captioned images that swirl around facebook it probably wasn't intended to be entirely serious and Shah probably thought it was funny and sharing it would make her look witty.

Clearly she has been violently disabused of both notions, and has apologised. The fact that this has surfaced about a week before elections is unlikely to be a coincidence.

The response of the leadership has been pretty pitiful though - they tried to simultaneously condemn her remarks and excuse them, making her look worse and making a suspension and likely expulsion inevitable when it was perhaps not deserved.

On the other hand Ken Livingston is a card-carrying Anti-Semite. This is the man who compared a Jewish reporter to a Concentration Camp Guard, who said Jews would vote for him as London mayor because they were rich and has now suggested that Hitler plan to force Jews to leave Germany was "supporting Zionism".

He may not think he's an anti-Semite but can't see how anyone else could think that - he's clearly prejudiced against Jews, uncaring of recent history and prone to seeing them all through the most negative of stereotypes.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Hitler.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Members thankful for this post (2):

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Here's the sourse Livingstone is going to cite: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...srael-comments

Some Marxist from the 80's who, by the looks of it, was canting history pretty hard for his own agenda.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    Hitler.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Tell that to Mr. Newt.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Blog Entries

Gingrich?

Husar 

Default Sound and Fury-Signifying?

The deafening silence of the U.S. allowed the first resolution since 1979 condemning Israeli settlement policy:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fea...090953898.html
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Default Israel Thread

As settlements increase, the Israeli right are cementing control of the nation's politics. Palestinians are not considered citizens - with barely a tiny fraction of settler attacks on Palestinians being investigated :
    Troops allow 5 day attack by settlers

Israeli police brutal beating of lorry driver caught on video

Also internal opposition by Israelis is being attacked by increasingly suspect tactics :
    Attempt to collect data on Israelis who oppose occupation

The aim is clear. The maps don't lie. Nothing short of the ethic cleansing of the west Bank and the construction of greater Israel is planned.
    israeli-settlements-explained-in-5-charts

And Gaza, too populated to be taken over is strangled slowly :
    Israel tightens travel restrictions

Meanwhile Trump cancels all foreign aid except for Israel
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Members thankful for this post (4):

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Default Re: The Israeli state expands

Status Emeritus

Blog Entries

Damn, how long had you been sitting on that bombshell?
    Last edited by Greyblades; 03-27-2017 at 17:48.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I didn't realize that Idaho was an Arab nation

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Israel has always been lucky in its enemies.

It has a practiced and well drilled counter strategy. Firstly, don't talk about the allegations. Don't mention them at all. Then attack your attackers. Make the human rights in Algeria or Sudan or Qatar the issue.

In the west bank, justice is meted out by Israeli military courts. They are testament to the detective skills of the occupying army as they have a close to 100% conviction rate.

http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.prem...F2AAA9788F2E59

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

It has a practiced and well drilled counter strategy. Firstly, don't talk about the allegations. Don't mention them at all. Then attack your attackers. Make the human rights in Algeria or Sudan or Qatar the issue.
    Its like the saying of another famous Jew: "​Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone..."
    Status Emeritus

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

TBF, its enemies are their own worst enemies. Israel is among the worst of the "western" countries on human rights, if it's considered a "western" country. However, it's by some distance the best of the "middle eastern" countries on the same terms, if it's considered a "middle eastern" country. Not because they're any good. But because the others, and more specifically Muslim countries, are far, far worse. Which makes it hard to care about Israel's undoubted abuses. IMHO we should just wall off the whole region and leave them to their own devices, without any judgement, and more importantly, without any action, from us. Pay what we have to for oil, and leave them alone otherwise.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Sound and Fury-Signifying?

With the truce now over I have moved it to the Backroom where it belongs.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Maybe someone can correct me on this and provide some really good reasons why it was done now right at the end of his final term in office....

But I can't help but feel this is just complete cowardice, Obama has decided to finally stand up and do the right thing now that there is very little chance it can harm him. Almost anybody can do the right thing in that situation.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    Maybe someone can correct me on this and provide some really good reasons why it was done now right at the end of his final term in office....

But I can't help but feel this is just complete cowardice, Obama has decided to finally stand up and do the right thing now that there is very little chance it can harm him. Almost anybody can do the right thing in that situation.
    Its just his way of flipping off Bebe on the way out. Not meant to be a substantive thing.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

It's a bit more than that - it finally gets a resolution on the books, one voted for by everyone but the US. That sends a significant message to the people of Israel on both sides of the argument - settlement building is not acceptable, it is illegal.

It also provoked a reaction from the Israeli Government that frankly betrays just how bizarre their position is.

It's not as much as the World needs, but it's something, more than nothing.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Israel Thread

Unfortunately, Israeli society has taken a rather decidedly paranoid shift to the point where any shadow is seen as the monster in the closet. There are real threats of course, but I feel like a lot of it is overblown to gain political points or to keep Israeli society in a state of fear. For example, the response to the Iran deal. Back in the March 2014 elections, Bibi would have made you think a second Holocaust was arriving.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore