Thread: Anniversary Camerone

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: Anniversary Camerone

I post it yesterday without explanation, so I feel the need of one.

Napoleon the III, invoking the non-payment of the debts by the newly Mexican government, deciding to create a coalition with England and Spain, to over-thrown Benito Suarez.
    The USA were not that united (full civil war), and Napoleon though he could create a Catholic Empire to counter-balance what he saw as a protestant one in the USA.
    Spain and England pulled-out, but, thanks to the influence of his wife, Imperatrice Eugenie, the French Expeditionary Army went to Mexico. Because we speak of France, all events have songs
    https://youtu.be/oI4f60yTAes

It didn't went very well, siege (Puebla) and illness took their shares on the Chasseurs and Legionnaire.

So, a column was sent with the money and the supply for some garrison, and the 1st company of the 1st Infantery regiment of the newly created Foreign Legion (by Charles X) was marching as flank-guard.
    The Capitain Dajou, knowing his mission was to protect the convoy, surprised by the arrival of the Mexican cavalry, ordered to occupied a ruined hacienda. Rest is history and Cameron became the cult of the mission for the Legion, a very well organised and cultivated event.
    Last edited by Brenus; 05-01-2016 at 07:44.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Interesting histories don't we have them all. I know shamefully little of the complexities of the 'new world', but I love this animation even if it has some flaws (and I love the Inception-soundtrack) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iha3OS8ShYs Time to try another campaign but the weather looks really nice and I got what wodka left from yesterday cocktail-time
    Last edited by Fragony; 05-01-2016 at 08:09.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    I post it yesterday without explanation, so I feel the need of one.

Napoleon the III, invoking the non-payment of the debts by the newly Mexican government, deciding to create a coalition with England and Spain, to over-thrown Benito Suarez.
    The USA were not that united (full civil war), and Napoleon though he could create a Catholic Empire to counter-balance what he saw as a protestant one in the USA.
    Spain and England pulled-out, but, thanks to the influence of his wife, Imperatrice Eugenie, the French Expeditionary Army went to Mexico. Because we speak of France, all events have songs
    https://youtu.be/oI4f60yTAes

It didn't went very well, siege (Puebla) and illness took their shares on the Chasseurs and Legionnaire.

So, a column was sent with the money and the supply for some garrison, and the 1st company of the 1st Infantery regiment of the newly created Foreign Legion (by Charles X) was marching as flank-guard.
    The Capitain Dajou, knowing his mission was to protect the convoy, surprised by the arrival of the Mexican cavalry, ordered to occupied a ruined hacienda. Rest is history and Cameron became the cult of the mission for the Legion, a very well organised and cultivated event.
    From what I've read, Camerone Day is known to legionnaires as le big piss up.

"From what I've read, Camerone Day is known to legionnaires as le big piss up" yes, but not only. A very carefully choreographed day of piss up...

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

And it birthed Cinco De Mayo. Which, strangely enough, is not celebrated in old Mexico. However, any excuse for me to drink tequlia should be considered a holiday. So I will let it slide.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Nails.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Interesting histories don't we have them all. I know shamefully little of the complexities of the 'new world', but I love this animation even if it has some flaws (and I love the Inception-soundtrack)
    Not really that complicated. In 1823 the US "Monroe doctrine" of forgin policy came about. Short version it was a policy of US intervention in any attempt by European colonial powers to engage in colonial wars in the Americas. Due to actions like Britain trying to annex what's now Argentina around 1810, or Napoleon trying to re-conquer Haiti in 1802 with the Leclerc expedition. France got away with one in Mexico in the 1860's due to the US being busy with it's murder-suicide pact civil war.

Later it was used as a pretext for the USA's own colonial wars when it conquered Puerto Rico, Cuba, Nicaragua, Haiti and the DR in the early 20th century (Roosevelt corollary era)
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass