Thread: Current Gaesatae?

Default Current Gaesatae?

Hey y'all-

Unable to install the game at the moment, but I was reading through some of the old topics I made / posted in, and I was wondering the fate of the Gaesatae in EB2. Do they still exist? Are they still referenced as drug-fueled?

Thanks y'all.

Default Re: Current Gaesatae?

They still exist but they are not fanatics on drugs anymore, so they have only 1HP

Gustave that sig is amazing

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    They still exist but they are not fanatics on drugs anymore, so they have only 1HP
    And the new stats guy made sure of that
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    How encouraging to hear! I'm glad that the team seems to have finally eliminated the less scholarly elements of the game. Now if only some of those old devs (Foot!) would acknowledge that...

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lobf View Post
    How encouraging to hear! I'm glad that the team seems to have finally eliminated the less scholarly elements of the game. Now if only some of those old devs (Foot!) would acknowledge that...
    I do not see what Foot has to do with Celtic historical research. What he and we (I was and am still part of the EB team) did was not accept statements without proper argument and proof from just anyone. Yes there were certainly mistakes made and we've learned from that and now have measures to prevent this from reoccurring.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    I do not see what Foot has to do with Celtic historical research. What he and we (I was and am still part of the EB team) did was not accept statements without proper argument and proof from just anyone.
    Because Foot passionately defended the old research, which is why I brought him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Foot
    I'm afraid that you've just called one of our most respected members a liar, and a falsifier of information. Not a good way to start, really. Ran, unfortunately no longer in our group due to personal reasons, is a world-class scholar, whose depth and breadth of knowledge is vast and countless. Perhaps some old post of his will enlighten us here, but until any further information comes to light I would gladly put my trust in his knowledge.
    This has annoyed me for almost 10 years and I was hoping that there would be some recognition- Ranika was a liar and falsifier of information.

I dunno. Sorry to drudge up old shit. Like I said, it's annoyed me forever and I was hoping there would be some acknowledgement or closure.

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

How about we spare everyone the trip down memory lane and leave sleeping dogs where they lie?
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Members thankful for this post (4):

The Gaesatae drugs thing was clearly inspired by the persistent (and not entirely baseless) theories that the Cu Chulainn saga and Viking Berserker traditions, sometimes linked to Indo-Aryan haoma warrior potion traditions, not to mention the well-based use of drink and augmented drink by many warriors throughout pre-modern history.

Ranika, who I do not know, seems to have been a widely-read amateur historian/linguist devoted mainly to the Irish Celtic world, and was much too prone toward attempting to extrapolate fantastical traditions from that context into the EB historical context, and willing to invent some period details to corroborate the extrapolation.

We're tried, in EB2, to stick to things on which we're sufficiently confident, either because there's a proof we can give, or at least strong conjecture and plausibility attendant all reconstructions. I think there's a possibility many warriors in the EB timeframe used strong drink, perhaps even some naturally occurring drugs, to steel themselves for battle. But we cannot attribute any such tradition particularly or especially to the gaesatae.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Members thankful for this post (3):

Quote Originally Posted by paullus View Post
    Ranika, who I do not know, seems to have been a widely-read amateur historian/linguist devoted mainly to the Irish Celtic world, and was much too prone toward attempting to extrapolate fantastical traditions from that context into the EB historical context, and willing to invent some period details to corroborate the extrapolation.
    This is the very nice way of saying this:
    Quote Originally Posted by lobf
    Ranika was a liar and falsifier of information.
    I completely agree with this!
    On a side note, I did tend to find Foot fair on most of his decisions, and Ranika fooled just about everyone. Paullus and Moros it's good to know that EB 2 has been more stringent in accepting the historical material. I think you guys have been doing that for allot of years now?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius
    How about we spare everyone the trip down memory lane and leave sleeping dogs where they lie?
    Woof, woof, lobf just woke me up.

Lifelong Mare's Milk Fermenter Member Genghis Skhan's Avatar

The Gaisaitoi are no longer stunningly OP in EBII, but they are still very fearsome and useful. As expected, they remain the best naked infantry in the game, and are among the top tier of infantry in EBII anywho.