Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit Thread

Default Re: One more try - UK referendum

Cameron expounds a scenario of "steadying the ship" and effecting a hand off to new leadership:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36615028
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Blog Entries

We expected there would be losses. FTSE 100 dropped hugely at 8:00, then it climbed back up to reclaim half what it lost, now it's leveling out.

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/stocks/indices/summary/summary-indices-chart.html?index=UKX
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Motive? Yes. Means? Not now, they made an agreement with the last referendum, westminster can hold them to it for years. Economic? Thier economy is hit by this the same as ours and the EU is stil not likely let them as the spanish will be pissed at them for encouraging the catalonians, less now there is no ambiguity over no automatic transition.

Depends what deals the UK can make with the common market, german pragamatism or french policing, who wins will determine that. Pound seems to have stablized at 1.3 after dropping from 1.5 to USD. Euro dropped too to a less extent, we'll see about FTSE.
    And now Sturgeon has officially confirmed that the Scottish Parliament will be pushing for a new independence referendum as a result of this.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

May we live in interesting times.
    Last edited by Beskar; 06-24-2016 at 12:43.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Members thankful for this post (3):

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    And now Sturgeon has officially confirmed that the Scottish Parliament will be pushing for a new independence referendum as a result of this.
    2 years too late and 15 years too early.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

2 years too late and 15 years too early.
    It's a plebiscite, same as this. This doesn't have legal force either, but no one will disregard the result. Same with a second Scottish independence referendum.

All highly predictable even before this result, but ignored. We've made our bed, now we'll have to lie in it.

Blog Entries

The closeness of the vote is disturbing.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

lol for hilarity watch the end of the press-conference of Juncker and the handpicked cheermonkeys they call journalists

YOU SHALL NOT PASS (out)

what a circus

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Or how most of England voted to leave, whereas London, which subsidises them, was overwhelmingly remain. I wish all London's revenue is kept for spending within London, while the rest of England have to try to pay their own way.

Blog Entries

Or how most of England voted to leave, whereas London, which subsidises them, was overwhelmingly remain. I wish all London's revenue is kept for spending within London, while the rest of England have to try to pay their own way.
    I did read a thing which advocated London being its own country, as it stops the rest of the UK developing due to power concentration, and it also holds back London.

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

They'll have to pay for a lot of things on their own now.

Ah, but wait! They save 350 million pounds per week now, so all is fine ...

As a member of the academic community, I feel terribly sorry for my british colleagues. They are now excluded from a pool of over 70 billion euros of research funding - and Britain has always been a strong player in that field.

The positive side: less competition for the rest of us. But science and scholarship as a whole will suffer and that makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by I of the Storm View Post
    They'll have to pay for a lot of things on their own now.

Ah, but wait! They save 350 million pounds per week now, so all is fine ...

As a member of the academic community, I feel terribly sorry for my british colleagues. They are now excluded from a pool of over 70 billion euros of research funding - and Britain has always been a strong player in that field.

The positive side: less competition for the rest of us. But science and scholarship as a whole will suffer and that makes me sad.
    It's not going to be spent on the NHS, as Farage has already retracted that promise.

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

The first of many more to come.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

I love it when smug leftists lose and election. Ignore the north and Wales for 30 years and then wonder why they tell you to "jog on" (is that the correct term?).

hopefully this is the first of many. I suspect Germany will try to break the UKs balls on the exit deal, maybe that will be the end of it all.

also, lol at Scotland thinking they are going to just jump back in.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Politics would ALWAYS be easier if political life were a series of 70-30 wins....important decisions are seldom that clear cut.

Heck, on our side of the pond we seldom have a President elected by margins larger than that of yesterday's EU exit vote.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Our political fabulists are suggesting that the UK devolves into:

England

Scotland

Ireland (all 32!!!!!!!!)

Spain (taking back The Rock by plebescite)

They further suggest that England will not be the only exiting group.

What say you lot over there?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

I would suggest that Churchill's old aphorism about 20 and 40 might well answer this gibe.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Politics would ALWAYS be easier if political life were a series of 70-30 wins....important decisions are seldom that clear cut.
    The thing is, not having it clearcut leaves a bad taste in every ones mouth. Similar with like the Scottish Indepedence which was a similar result. If it was 60/40 or 70/30 people would be like "yup, we lost, we have to accept it", but when it is 52/48 people are like "just a couple more votes would have meant we won!" which leaves them feeling angry and frustrated, and they start to blame people. "if you did a little bit more, we would have won!" etc.

Being honest though, David Cameron was a poor choice for "In", and the whole "Tories for In" and "Tories for Out" was farcical. Labour virtually did nothing, and I understand Coryn wanted leave, he should have at least stood up and said it, instead of half-heartedly not doing anything.

Libdems actually did a decent "In" campaign which didn't resort to things like "Leave would trigger WW3", but no one cares about them since the collapse under Cleggers.

Blog Entries

Corbyn lost probably his bet chance to gain popularity. Labour's traditional supporters were the same ones voting leave and the arent going to let it go unremarked.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Our political fabulists are suggesting that the UK devolves into:

England

Scotland

Ireland (all 32!!!!!!!!)

Spain (taking back The Rock by plebescite)

They further suggest that England will not be the only exiting group.

What say you lot over there?
    They're idiots, have irish blood/sympathies, or both. Scotland is the only one with a chance of leaving, Northern Ireland voted largely along the Protestant/Catholic line and while the protestants might have had some choosing to remain in the EU they sure as smeg arent going to go against the grain for a reunion vote while the IRA members are still kicking around. Gibraltar voted on a referendum in 2002 that gave remain with Britain 98%, I dont think this pissed them off that much.

Scotland... it will be sad to see them go, I hope they dont but if they feel they must the least I can do its bid them adeu, though they most certainly arent going to get back into the EU now.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 06-24-2016 at 15:48.

Member thankful for this post:

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Scotland... it will be sad to see them go, I hope they dont but if they feel they must the least I can do its bid them adeu, though they most certainly arent going to get back into the EU now.
    Honest question, why do you think is the case? They voted strongly Remain, they will have broke off from the UK for the explicit purposes of rejoining.

Would it be along the lines of them receiving more than they give?
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Corbyn lost probably his bet chance to gain popularity. Labour's traditional supporters were the same ones voting leave and the arent going to let it go unremarked.

They're idiots, have irish blood, or both. Scotland is the only one with a chance of leaving, Northern Ireland voted largely along the Protestant/Catholic line and while the protestants might have had some choosing to remain in the EU they sure as smeg arent going to go against the grain for a reunion vote while the IRA members are still kicking around. Gibraltar voted on a referendum in 2002 that gave remain with Britain 98%, I dont think this pissed them off that much.

And how would you dismiss London, which was strongly remain?

The thing is, not having it clearcut leaves a bad taste in every ones mouth. Similar with like the Scottish Indepedence which was a similar result. If it was 60/40 or 70/30 people would be like "yup, we lost, we have to accept it", but when it is 52/48 people are like "just a couple more votes would have meant we won!" which leaves them feeling angry and frustrated, and they start to blame people. "if you did a little bit more, we would have won!" etc.

Being honest though, David Cameron was a poor choice for "In", and the whole "Tories for In" and "Tories for Out" was farcical. Labour virtually did nothing, and I understand Coryn wanted leave, he should have at least stood up and said it, instead of half-heartedly not doing anything.

Libdems actually did a decent "In" campaign which didn't resort to things like "Leave would trigger WW3", but no one cares about them since the collapse under Cleggers.
    London was 60/40 remain with heavy floods markedly affecting voting.

A vote so important god is forcing an extra day before the tallying so more people can get to the ballot box in time!
    Or God was trying to make you stay. At home.

What makes you think that? They have even less chance of survival now than they did 2 years ago and that referendum bound them, I think the scots are more honorable than to break thier word over this.
    When they gave their word, they gave it to the UK within the EU. It is the UK changed the rules of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by I of the Storm View Post
    Happy now?

I sincerely hope this plays out well for the UK (soon to be England) and our british orgahs, but I fear it won't.

Good luck!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	151557.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	18597
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	????????? ?????.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	18598
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Members thankful for this post (2):

Blog Entries

And how would you dismiss London, which was strongly remain?
    Cities dont get independance votes and not all of london voted remain.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Honest question, why do you think is the case? They voted strongly Remain, they will have broke off from the UK for the explicit purposes of rejoining.

Would it be along the lines of them receiving more than they give?
    Scotland would have to be a major contributor as the EU arent likely in the mood for taking any more defecits right now. Aside from that; Spain wont allow it, cant be seen to support secessionists while catalonia is still waiting thier turn.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 06-24-2016 at 16:03.

Presenter: "The £350m a week we send to the EU, which we will no longer send to the EU. Can you guarantee that's going to go to the NHS?"
    Farage: "No I can't, and I would have never made that claim. That was one of the mistakes that the Leave campaign made."
    Presenter: "Hang on a moment. That was one of your adverts."

https://twitter.com/jrhopkin/status/746225648306294784

‘We send the EU £350 million a week

let’s fund our NHS instead. Vote Leave.’

http://leftfootforward.org/2016/05/b...u-350m-a-week/

Husar 

Blog Entries

...Why are they asking farage? Of course he cant guarentee, he's not in power.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 06-24-2016 at 16:13.

Members thankful for this post (2):

...Why are they asking farage? Of course he cant guarentee, he's not in power.
    Let's see what Boris Johnson does then. He was the one on that bus, and he's going to be the next PM.

Excuse me it was Boris's campaign (Vote Leave) that may or may not have said that, Farage was part of Grassroots Out, not Vote Leave and plus like greyblades said Farage isn't part of the Conservative Party.

Blog Entries

Let's see what Boris Johnson does then. He was the one on that bus, and he's going to be the next PM.
    Depends on how well the conservatives hold up after this blow, right now they are slated to split.

Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast