Thread: Soldiers carved on the church of San Nicola in Bari, Italy, early 12th century

Lightbulb Soldiers carved on the church of San Nicola in Bari, Italy, early 12th century

I have collected some images of the Archivolt carvings above the Leoni door of the church of San Nicola in Bari, Italy, early 12th century. Does anyone know of other photos of this?
    The archivolt over the Porta della Pescheria, the north portal of the Cathedral of Modena, which illustrates a version of the Arthurian story of the rescue of Guinevere who is held prisoner by Meleagant is thought to be based on the Leoni door, Bari, carvings; so it may also show this legend. The names of characters are engraved in Modena but not in Bari. (I have also added a large image of Calvariun (Galeschin?) on the Modena Archivolt to my collection.)
    The Bari carvings include many figures in Byzantine style lamellar armour.

Also from the church of San Nicola in Bari are Italo-Norman carvings of soldiers around the west door. Anyone know of other photos of these?

Mirror site:
    Archivolt carvings above the Leoni door of the church of San Nicola in Bari, Italy, early 12th century

Druzhina
    12th Century Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers
    Last edited by druzhina; 06-11-2018 at 06:13.